PDA

View Full Version : Scirocco - Test Drive

anarchycamp
20-09-2008, 04:52 AM
Well.....im in the UK at the moment and drove past the local dealership...

Noticed a red Scirocco sitting proudly in prime spot out the front where there was an R32 the day before..of course i had to stop and have a good look (much to my wifes disapproval). I got talking to the salesmen about random VW stuff (plenty of MkII content) and 15 minutes later i had the keys in my hand and took it for a quick blast around the block!!!!!! :biggrin:

I realise this thread is totally useless without pics..and i apologise for that but it was a spare of the moment thing....

There are a lot of similarities to the GTI as far as power and handling...OK i didnt push it, but the feeling I got was very familiar. Suspension felt stiffer than my GTI but could be the fact its 3+ yrs old. The thing that kept running through my head was somewhere between a TT and a GTI which seems to make sense. build quality was very good (are these german built?) and on a par or above my GTI. If i was in the market for a GTI and didnt need 5drs id seriously be having my fingers crossed we get this thing soon, id snap one up. VERY impressed!

roccodingo
20-09-2008, 11:24 PM
yeah, saw the Mk 3 Scirocco at ED 38 show while in UK...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/roccodingo/P8300503.jpg

The front looks fine to me..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/roccodingo/P8300504.jpg

But i couldnt live with the rear end treatment, just kills it...:brutal:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/roccodingo/P8300505.jpg

Went and checked out Cameron's in Perth, but missed getting a drive by about 20 minutes, car had already gone out, headed further north after that.

OEM G60
21-09-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't think anyone is getting excited about these at all really are they ?

Looking at how many hits the 'New Scirocco caught on the Ring' thread has had, and how many people have posted/commented says it all really, you look at it, but it just lacks something that makes you have anything to get excited about or comment on.

As for it making the Golf GTI obsolete i think that is a load of rubbish, i'll bet more people buy the Golf as it is more practicle, same story as the Corrado, although the Corrado was a flop because it was too expensive.

I don't know, i just don't hear anyone raving about them, my mate had a sit in one in the UK and said it felt too high off the ground to be a coupe, it just has a lower roof line.

I agree the front looks OK, but i saw a new Lancer the other day and it looked like a Roco, side on it looks like an old Honda Civic and the back looks like a squished Astra.

Treza360
21-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Jeremy Clarkson's review of the Scirocco, he likes it.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article4741256.ece

evorobin
21-09-2008, 01:07 PM
He owned the original and likes everything that doesn't sell full stop. Personally the active damping option would sell it over the golf :driver:

OEM G60
21-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't think so, people will moan that the Golf doesn't have it probably, but still go for the Golf

Whubbsie
22-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I like it, I want one, I'd buy it over the golf for sure... I do think it makes the 2D Golf GTI obsolete though.

nemo
22-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I've read that in the UK the 6th gen Golf will have active damping as an option so maybe the GTI will have it too.

Still - I want the Scirocco bad. I'm a mid-20s male with high disposable income and I was in the market for a coupe - what else could I chose but the 3dr GTI. Problem is it's too similar to the family man driving the 5dr.

The Civic Type R is rubbish - the Scirocco ticks all my boxes :bowdown:

nemo
22-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Except for RWD - am I dreaming of a sub 40k RWD coupe post-2000?

dodgey
22-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Initially, I couldn't see the fuss, but that was before seeing the rear of this car.

Now, I really, really, really want 1. I've heard that VGA have tentatively said they are not bringing it to Australia, lest they cannibalise the 3dr GTI market, but if they do, I'd sell my 3dr and put an order in for 1 straight away! (Exactly what they are predicting)

With a longer wheelbase, wider track and lower roof, as well as those 4 nice and retro seats, it's brilliant!

OK, the speedo and tacho does not look as good as the GTI, but the external is soooo nice, with the mean look in the front and the wide, big butt look in the rear. It's brilliant!

anarchycamp
23-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Except for RWD - am I dreaming of a sub 40k RWD coupe post-2000?

2nd hand Beemer 135i? :biggrin:

dubbed
23-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I can't believe more people aren't hyped about these! I thought they were still a prototype :rolleyes: I'd never seen the rear end but they look crackin! Fat, low, and wide. Too bad they're not RWD or AWD. I'd still buy one - but over a Golf? That's a tough one....

dodgey
24-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Probably because it is highly likely NOT coming to Australia...

poloplayer
24-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I would like one :)

Lukev85
25-09-2008, 02:11 PM
im looking to buy in sept next year, would love to have one of these, they look beefy as.

Any chance of them being sold here in Aust. Ive heard not and if so why?

dodgey
25-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Any chance of them being sold here in Aust. Ive heard not and if so why?

VGA is afraid that it would cannibalise the sale of the 3dr GTIs.....

I'd love to get 1 too :(

nemo
26-09-2008, 12:07 PM
2nd hand Beemer 135i? :biggrin:

Saw a 125i chirp into 2nd gear yesterday - looked awesome and imagine with some turbos helping :bowdown:

Will be a hard decision if the scirocco comes out with the Mark VI Golf in 2009

balkanac
26-09-2008, 05:07 PM
I'd get the Roco over any other Golf if it had an AWD system. I really dont like the torque steer and understeer. It looks very good IMO

qsz
13-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi Guys,
VWA also said to me via email in 06, no 3 door GTI and in '07 no limited edition GTI's coming to Australia.
I'd get a deposit reddy for your '09 rocco. :):)

Simon

nemo
14-10-2008, 07:53 AM
I really dont like the torque steer

There is no torque steer with the electic system - just doesn't go anywhere that's all

dodgey
14-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi Guys,
VWA also said to me via email in 06, no 3 door GTI and in '07 no limited edition GTI's coming to Australia.
I'd get a deposit reddy for your '09 rocco. :):)

Simon

That would really be good news! :driver: