PDA

View Full Version : Future GTI owner - hopefully

GTI32
19-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi all,

I'm a newbie about to move out of the v8 Holden and into a gti. I am planning to put an order in for a black 5 door dsg with latte leather in early nov. Well I was planning to. I'm not sure what will be available to order given production will have finished for the mkv.
Anyway, hi all.

Mrk_Mickey
19-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Hey there, nice move into forced induction ;)

I'm sure you'll be the proud owner of a new mkv sometime sooner or later. Good luck with your hunt!

Mickey

johng
29-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi. I have a MY07 GTI with DSG and am a firm convert to the DSG box.

dgd1600
29-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi John.

Sounds like your a passionatte supporter of the DSG box and I thought I;d would be when I picked up my nice new GTi about 16 months ago. Alas I was a bit disappointed, but maybe thats because I was driving the car a little too softly. Put it into sportshift and maybe the engine braking becomes a little more noticable, but I just found it a bit too - I don;t know how to explain - automatic like.

Don't get me wrong the 6 speed box is nice and crisp if driving in the power band of the engine its just not manual enough - maybe I should have spent more time playing PS3 or similar but paddle shifts just don;t do it for me.

I'm not being negative about the DSG, as its a very personal choice. I just found it might be great for quick upchanging whilst in a straight line but after that the benefit becomes far less tangible. I always found myself in the wrong gear when cornering - and needing to change down or up whilst mid corner - not a good thing to do.

Maybe its just me. Cheers.

Zed!
30-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi John.

Sounds like your a passionatte supporter of the DSG box and I thought I;d would be when I picked up my nice new GTi about 16 months ago. Alas I was a bit disappointed, but maybe thats because I was driving the car a little too softly. Put it into sportshift and maybe the engine braking becomes a little more noticable, but I just found it a bit too - I don;t know how to explain - automatic like.

Don't get me wrong the 6 speed box is nice and crisp if driving in the power band of the engine its just not manual enough - maybe I should have spent more time playing PS3 or similar but paddle shifts just don;t do it for me.

I'm not being negative about the DSG, as its a very personal choice. I just found it might be great for quick upchanging whilst in a straight line but after that the benefit becomes far less tangible. I always found myself in the wrong gear when cornering - and needing to change down or up whilst mid corner - not a good thing to do.

Maybe its just me. Cheers.

yeah I feel the same. My wife prefers an automatic so we sold the 350z (man 6 speed) for an 08 R32 with DSG. I too am a bit disappointed considering the rave reviews the DSG has received. But from a driving perspective it just feels very disconnected, even using the paddles. We'll sell the R32 in 2/3 years before the ks get >50'000 and then I'll be back on a manual 6sp (if they're still around then!)

dgd1600
05-10-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm interested in your motivation - big move to trade a 350 for an R32 ( even though the R32 is a lovely car ) - might have been easier to get a new wife:eek:

But seriously I'd be interested in your comparison of the two. The 350 was on my list at the time, but it like the R32 were just a little too expensive, or at least I thought the resale would drop significanlty. Reale on my GTi MkV wasn;t real flash - lost nearly $15K off the purchase price in 16 months ( that hurt since the car was immaculate and only had 14000km on it ) R32 might be a lovely car but it's a bucket load of money to pay for a small car.