PDA

View Full Version : "Mk3 stock headlights"

Sands
26-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Hi, I recently got a 95 golf gl and the stock headlights seem to be really underpowered kinda like the 2.0L its got lol. Before the golf I had a land rover disco and the head lights where more than adequate so ive been driving in semi blind state since switching over, anyway im wondering if anyone here has changed their headlights to aftermarket types? or changed the bulbs in them to make them more powerfull? Cheers, also I must say being a first time poster these forums have some great info :)

moto
26-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Your right. VW cars have always had lousy lights. I think you'll find its more about voltage drop than bulbs. A couple of relays behind the lights is probably going to make the most improvement. Anyone?

SOHC
27-09-2006, 12:08 AM
How bout some grounding cables?? Won't they do any good? I mean its overall performance... mine's getting foggy so i took it apart gave it a clean a seal it back

gtimk5
27-09-2006, 12:57 AM
I have always relayed the headlights on my golfs (apart from the mk4 and 5)
That way you can go larger wattage globes without burning out the switch. By relaying them you are assued of gatting battery voltage. The difference is astounding! If your GL has the twin reflector setup the you could go to 120watts on the highs and whatever on the lows. Single reflector, I would go 90/130s Make sure they are relayed first though. Cheers, Andrew:)

brackie
27-09-2006, 05:22 AM
Syncro (Phill Lander) wrote an excellent description of how to do this to a Mk2. Maybe we could talk him into doing the same for a Mk3 :???:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=283

golf3
27-09-2006, 07:55 AM
If you want great lights, grab a pair of Hella Celis mk4 look lights with HID kit.
www.tmtuning.com sells them, although pricey, they will probably provide the best lighting possible!

And remember, Hella can be trusted, because that's who make OEM stuff...

Sands
27-09-2006, 11:44 AM
hey thanks for the info, think ive got a few ideas cooked up now, might try relaying them and changing the globes providing there not too expensive

ovw251
15-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Dear Group
only new to the forum and purchasing a mk3 cl 3 door and when I took it for a check at Werners in Cairns they informed me it would need new HL's due to the fact that the reflectors were broken away inside , also some of the tabs connecting the lights to the car were broken, maybe this could be a similar problem Cheers Holger

rayray086
15-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Common problem with our headlights. The tabs are made out of plastic and are quite thin too so are prone to breaking. I've pulled apart a few headlights and only one came out to be still intact.

MattyT
15-10-2007, 10:35 PM
...so ive been driving in semi blind state since switching over...

Short answer: **** headlights.

I swapped mine out for Hella Dual Round projectors. MASSIVE difference. Easily 3x the light output with the exact same wattage bulbs as the stock headlights.