PDA

View Full Version : mk1 GLD

Andrew Powell
18-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know how to fix the following problem in a mk 1 diesel:

filling up the fuel tank is difficult because the fuel does not flow easily into the tank. I can only fill it up at a trickle pace before the trigger clicks and consequently takes ages to even put in 20 litres at a time. it makes a sucking noise as the diesel drops to the tank.

also:
where are fumes most likely to be entering the cabin? i've repleaced the rear hatch seals.

thanks

Jarred
18-09-2008, 03:42 PM
hi mate.

hopefully these might help a bit, but wont be surefire fixes.

The fumes might be coming in through the vents. There is a seal that sits on the rain train, which is meant to stop fumes coming from the engine bay to the cabin. Mine was completely gone when I first had my car!

as for the filling up. It's possible you are just putting the filler too far down the next. I had an issue similar to this when I was new to my car, but if you hold the trigger back a little bit (ie no all the way in) you might find that might help. It might not, but something to try.

Andrew Powell
18-09-2008, 07:55 PM
thanks for the ideas. I will have a look at the vents

as for the fuel , I've tried that already. seems like is something blocking it, like a partially blocked drain. The fuel goes down into the tank, just really really slowly. If I fill it up too quickly it overflows which is messy.

cetane
19-09-2008, 06:09 PM
The tank is vented to allow air to escape during filling. (A bit like trying to fill a bottle with water without an air gap at the top.)
It's possible that the vent pipe is blocked or you're blocking it with the filler gun. (Pre 1980 models have 2 vent pipes, post 1980, 1)
This could also be the source of the fumes.
I have no problems filling my GLD.

Oh....Welcome to the Diesel Club!