PDA

View Full Version : rust reparis / resto

static1800
26-09-2006, 08:36 AM
My Mk1 is starting (much to my dismay) to bubble up alot of rust. I'm trying to figure out what may be the best option. I know the left quarter will need replacing and i may replace the right also as it has been fixed and is a bit ripplely. I could just cut the rust out from where it is get it filled back in plated all that stuff and get the paint blown in etc... or should i just go out and go bare metal, I'm thinking the later as i think this car has had a quick lick of paint put on it at some stage to cover some nasties and don't want more arising 6 months down the track. I want it all GONE!

Im prepared to do all the stripping and what rust work i can myself as we restored my sisters type 3 not to long ago. From all who have done this to a mk1 whats a good price for respraying? and maybe some of the hard rust work.

cheers guys

brackie
26-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Loon has panels, wings etc. Better to swap for a rust-free panel than to weld/bog.

Golf Loon
26-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Not far away either, but your car looks sweet. Can you ever really get rid of all cancer, or is it simply a band aid solution?

static1800
26-09-2006, 09:25 PM
It's coming up around alot of window rubbers, there is a rust hole near the bonnet hinge on the firewall sort of thing. a few bubbles on the edge under both back side windows, the bonnet has rust on the edges popping out but the gutters dont look to bad though. Thats all i can recall now.

@loon, it does look nice but i think the respray it had was a quick one to cover the old paint or other nasties.

Its sort of a judgment call on my half wether to just bite the bullet and get it all fixed so i dont ever have to worry about it for years, because i love the car to death i dont wanna see it rust away to nothing.