PDA

View Full Version : Chip for polo 1.9

polo_spec_d
16-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Im looking for a chip that offers suitable horsepower gains, i have looked at the dieselpower product but not sure that im getting bang for my buck.

any ideas?

Logzy
17-09-2008, 12:14 PM
ChippedUK ST3
Google this and have a read.

RhysQ
17-09-2008, 01:11 PM
i think Oettinger may also have a chip for the 1.9TDI. have a yarn to Guy (Guy_H) on this forum, he might be able to fill you in on details. Oettinger also have a warranty on their products so definitely worth looking in to. but please, whatever you do, don't ask which is better, it has all been done before and does not end well :(.

GoLfMan
17-09-2008, 01:16 PM
mate, i drive a chipped TDI, it really wakes up the cars performance like you wouldnt believe. highly recommended!

I recon you should go for the Oettinger one, it has the best HP gains from what i've read into and the warrenty is a sweetner ontop of the deal :)

good luck!

polo_spec_d
17-09-2008, 02:47 PM
thanks man, ill look into that :)

GoLfMan
17-09-2008, 04:32 PM
no probs mate, good to see another Polo Diesel on here :)

DSGMAn
18-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Stay away from Diesel Power or any other 'tuning boxes', they are generally crappy and not as easy to fit/remove as they will tell you they are( I know - I bought a DP tuning box...then asked for my $$$ back). I know there is a Diesel power rep in Qld - this guy is a bit of a tool, who knows nothing about his product or the effects of it on a TDI down the road.....stay well away. Might sound a little harsh - but that's from experience.

Any of the other alternatives offered should be great as far as ECU re-flashes go. I personally went with Bluefin which im very happy with....I'm sure any others would give you similar performance gains. Good luck anyway - you'll LOVE the extra oooomph!

polo_spec_d
18-09-2008, 10:08 PM
thanks for the advice :) yeah ill stay way clear of those tuning boxes.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

MrNamjama
28-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Well, I've had a DPChip in my polo for a year now... it takes about a minute, maybe two to fit or remove, and works very, very well... and it comes with a pretty solid warranty...

GoLfMan
30-09-2008, 07:53 PM
thanks for the advice :) yeah ill stay way clear of those tuning boxes.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

ive got a "tuning box" and i've had no probs what so ever as of yet.... except for my front tyre tread dissapearing mysteriously fast :wasntme:

polo_spec_d
30-09-2008, 07:59 PM
haha yeah. what one if you dont mind me asking?

h100vw
30-09-2008, 08:10 PM
www.oz-chiptuning.com.au

It's beginning to look like you have something to do with oz-chiptuning mate. You haven't posted about anything else............

Gavin

polo_spec_d
30-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Nah nothing to do with them. and nah havent posted anything else

h100vw
30-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Nah nothing to do with them. and nah havent posted anything else

I was referring to kcb not you, all his posts are about them.

Gavin

polo_spec_d
30-09-2008, 08:25 PM
sorry i didnt see the quote

GoLfMan
30-09-2008, 10:09 PM
haha yeah. what one if you dont mind me asking?

ummm ill get back to you on that one mate :) either way it goes like the clappers :D

Buller_Scott
01-10-2008, 03:54 AM
ive got a "tuning box" and i've had no probs what so ever as of yet.... except for my front tyre tread dissapearing mysteriously fast :wasntme:

lol. how are the conti eco tourers? what are you gonna replace them with? (or are you doing wheels+tyres as your next mod?).

im about up for new tyres- after 14,000kms, i only had 1.5 and 3 mill tread respectively on my fronts (changed to back at service).

golfman have you dyno'ed your chipped pog? any idea of your nm/kw stats on your daily (most used) setting?

GoLfMan
01-10-2008, 05:04 PM
lol. how are the conti eco tourers? what are you gonna replace them with? (or are you doing wheels+tyres as your next mod?).

im about up for new tyres- after 14,000kms, i only had 1.5 and 3 mill tread respectively on my fronts (changed to back at service).

golfman have you dyno'ed your chipped pog? any idea of your nm/kw stats on your daily (most used) setting?

hey mate!
my cars got falkner powermaxs on it and have done 45,000kms and the rear tread is basically brand new!

this is the last set of 14" tyres i will purchase for this car, they are too small and not worth it, ill do that and springs together!

the chip i have only has one setting, just a plug and play very uncomplicated and easy to install. I believe it was quoted at 300nm and 96?kw a bit less than a oettinger chip, however for $250 (heavily discounted from Guy H) i couldnt care less about the minimal difference!

no i havent dynoed sooty yet but sometime soon would like to see it, the seat of the pants difference is huge, 3rd pulls harder than 1st and 2nd stock and theres power just a tow squeeze away.. love it!

polo_spec_d
02-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I like the sound of that power :) 3 to pull harder then stock 1st and 2nd is crazy, I like crazy :)

GoLfMan
02-10-2008, 08:05 PM
I like the sound of that power :) 3 to pull harder then stock 1st and 2nd is crazy, I like crazy :)

tis quite, 1st is useless, its all wheelspin, but i have managed with alot of clutch slip to get a good launch! 2nd is where its at for acceleration and it just doesnt let up throughout all the gears... plant it in 5th on the highway and the power just keeps comin! :o!

i LOVE it. Would like to see the diff between our 2 cars on the race track/drag strip!

ohh my car also has a Seat intake ;)

bluey
02-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Curious that VW makes a 1.9 (1896) TDI without diesel particulate filter listed in the Polo Owner's Manual:

96kW @ 4000rpm
310Nm @ 1900 rpm
with 6-speed manual box
0-100km/h 9.2seconds
137g/km CO2
consumption 6.8L/100km urban; 4.3L/100km extra-urban; 5.2L/100km combined

Chip makers are quoting similar power and torque figures but lower consumption. How is that? What are the downsides of chipping a 1.9 Polo?

GoLfMan
03-10-2008, 01:42 PM
What are the downsides of chipping a 1.9 Polo?

NOTHING!!!!

except your front tyres seem to go very very quickly j:

polo_spec_d
04-10-2008, 02:15 PM
the power you describe sounds awesome :) must work excellent with the Seat CAI

GoLfMan
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
the power you describe sounds awesome :) must work excellent with the Seat CAI

i cant really say i noticed that much of a difference with the Seat CAI. All it has really done is smooth out power delivery!

now go chip it goddam it!!!! Oettinger is where its at :) they have a free trial i believe

polo_spec_d
04-10-2008, 04:08 PM
i cant really say i noticed that much of a difference with the Seat CAI. All it has really done is smooth out power delivery!

now go chip it goddam it!!!! Oettinger is where its at :) they have a free trial i believe

haha i will, just $2000 is alot of money :frown:

bluey
04-10-2008, 07:32 PM
haha i will, just $2000 is alot of money :frown:

It seems a lot for a bit of computer data. As it is, we have enough wheelspinning torque and acceleration to leave not much time to change gears and it's already too easy to end up way over the limit.

Overtook a Porsche late model Boxster turning a corner from a standing start at traffic lights...he tried planting his foot to catch up...he didn't manage to and got stuck at the next set of lights which I got through. Do I really need my Polo to be faster????

How much less life can I expect from the front tyres?

GoLfMan
05-10-2008, 10:43 AM
It seems a lot for a bit of computer data. As it is, we have enough wheelspinning torque and acceleration to leave not much time to change gears and it's already too easy to end up way over the limit.

Overtook a Porsche late model Boxster turning a corner from a standing start at traffic lights...he tried planting his foot to catch up...he didn't manage to and got stuck at the next set of lights which I got through. Do I really need my Polo to be faster????

How much less life can I expect from the front tyres?

what your paying for the amount of R&D that has gone into it, hours spent on testing to make sure that your car will remain reliable for daily use. There are plenty of things factored into that price, also Oettinger has a warrenty that comes with all their programmes.

however, i cannot stress how much more fun and drivable the car is with the chip, you think you have torque now, there is just so much more grunt everywhere that it becomes that much easier to drive day to day.

there is NO SUCH THING as too fast ;)

tyre life depends on how heavy your right foot is mate, just like anything, im just being a prat to my tyres as i dont care about the 14", they are way to small and i want bigger rubber so the faster they go the better!

polo_spec_d
05-10-2008, 04:03 PM
You have won me over into getting a chip, from what i can gather from the info supplied the "chips" all have pretty much the same upgrade in power, just depends on what i do with my polo to which one i choose, eg more track days,

thanks all

GoLfMan
05-10-2008, 04:54 PM
You have won me over into getting a chip, from what i can gather from the info supplied the "chips" all have pretty much the same upgrade in power, just depends on what i do with my polo to which one i choose, eg more track days,

thanks all
good to hear mate :)
looking forward to hearing what you think of it when its chipped :)

Logzy
05-10-2008, 07:14 PM

thanks all

If your interested in more than 1 map for track days etc then look at the ChippedUK ST3.
Two maps are included in the price so you can switch between the road map or track map yourself.

GoLfMan
05-10-2008, 08:05 PM
If your interested in more than 1 map for track days etc then look at the ChippedUK ST3.
Two maps are included in the price so you can switch between the road map or track map yourself.

that would be rather cool i think :)

what power outputs does the ST3 put out?

bluey
06-10-2008, 07:29 AM
The VW 96kW version of the Polo 1.9TDi is sold in South Africa. In the past they have been prone to turbo failures. Apparently that model has been pulled from the market in the past in UK and South Africa. It is now back for sale in South Africa in a 6 speed manual. Read more in this news article and thread:

http://www.news24.com/City_Press/Motoring/0,,186-2051_2267568,00.html
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=107764

Reading between the lines....the engine did have problems under certain conditions ?high altitude, ?high speed/boost and VW has presumably addressed the problem in several ways (6 speed box to reduce rpm?) and are testing in the South African market.

If that is the potential risk, what's it cost to replace a turbo? And will the Oettinger warranty cough up??

Sharkie
06-10-2008, 10:05 AM
You can buy the Oettinger remap without the warranty and save a few hundred $$$$. Talk to Guy he will help you out.

GoLfMan
06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
ask Guy H what the Oettinger warrenty covers, but im pretty sure any form of engine failure due to the remap would warrent them fixing what needed to be fixed for free.

Sharkie
06-10-2008, 06:50 PM
The way I see it is that if they are prepared to provide a very good warranty on the remap and they will provide the exact same remap without the warranty then they are pretty confident its not going to blow up your engine.

For peace of mind the warranty is a good thing though and if I were to buy it, I'd probably opt for the warranty as well.

GoLfMan
06-10-2008, 09:16 PM
yeh if i were to get the oettinger flash i'd get the warrenty aswell, however its just the risk you take modifying anything from stock form. But i have to say its more than worth it :)

bluey
09-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Anybody know what a turbo replacement is worth???

dammfool
09-10-2008, 08:11 PM
ive had my dp chip fitted for the past year now and no problems at all apart from the torque steer and lack of traction.But ive found when i dial up the highest setting the cruise control cant handle it and it tends to get away from itself

bluey
19-10-2008, 10:37 AM
AXR engine (http://bitnet.ro/vw/images/dyno/AXRBIG.jpg) (74kW) looks like official graph

ASZ engine (96kW/310Nm) + tuning (http://bitnet.ro/vw/images/dyno/ASZBIG.jpg) -> 110kW/360Nm

BLT engine is the newest version of 96kW.

Curious to know what mods VW makes to get the 96kW version and esp BLT. As far as I can find, the ASZ/BLT has only ever come with 6-speed gearbox in all markets, so perhaps the 5-speed will suffer from the torque????

AXR Polo engine apparently has KKK K39 turbo.
ASZ Polo engine apparently has KKK BV39 turbo.
ASZ Golf engine apparently has Garrett GT1749V turbo.
BLT engine apparently has KKK KP39 turbo.

Can't yet find any technical details on the various turbos.

This Chinese manufacturer (http://www.allproducts.com.tw/manufacture98/turbocharg/product2_print.html)claims to do OEM manufacturing for lots of manufacturers including KP39 and GT1749V.