PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile time!

twin eng, twin turbs
25-09-2006, 10:51 PM
What are the best times that have been layed down the 1/4 mile around Aus. Has anyone honestly broken into the 12s? Im taking my turboed mk2 GTI to Eastern Creek in a few weeks once my engine is run in.. Just hope the gearbox can handle the mickey thompsons!

golf3
26-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Picsorban!

Sounds like a lot of fun you will have there...

I wouldn't trust an 020 gearbox with any power, or sticky tyres...

I've been considering going to calder park for a drag night, I'll probably see 15's or so... But that's ok, its enough for daily driving...

Oh, and to remind you, picsorban...

EndlessMKI
26-09-2006, 08:49 AM
What are the best times that have been layed down the 1/4 mile around Aus. Has anyone honestly broken into the 12s? Im taking my turboed mk2 GTI to Eastern Creek in a few weeks once my engine is run in.. Just hope the gearbox can handle the mickey thompsons!

is your car running more power now than the dyno printout you displayed at the vw show?

a couple of good burnouts in slicks or semis and you can say bye bye to the rivets in the 020 diff.

Hope you get the time your after.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~kirium/Temp_Vids/MOV02904.MPG

ausgolfer
26-09-2006, 11:33 AM
I'd expect to see similar times to Golf3 in my mk2 16v. Hope we have a Melbourne Calder drag night some time in the next few months. Hope my new suspension will help with traction off the line. Speaking of which does anyone have oppinions on suspension setup for dragginga fwd? ie? soft front hard rear etc etc?
Hopefully get a few new plugs in the 16v before then.

What kind of mk2 is your's twin turbos? What engine? 8v? 16v? 20v?

Golf Loon
26-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Tell us what day you are going to the creek and we`ll bring a crew and watch.

MK2 GTI
26-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't trust an 020 gearbox with any power, or sticky tyres...

yeh i've blown 2 of em in the last year already and i dont even have that much power.

worm
26-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Drag night would be sweet. Ill come up on the bike with mates. Its fun to see what u can do.
My best is 10.890 on the bike *evil grin*

Water Boy
26-09-2006, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=ausgolfer] Speaking of which does anyone have oppinions on suspension setup for dragging a fwd? ie? soft front hard rear etc etc?
QUOTE]

The only way to go is have the stiffest rear shocks you can get possible. The stiffer the rear the better because that means there is no weight transfer to the rear which means you lose traction... And that's bad...

I know of FWD drag cars that have the rear shocks welding up stiff... That's for the 1/4 only...

Hope that helps :)

GoLfMan
26-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Drag night would be sweet. Ill come up on the bike with mates. Its fun to see what u can do.
My best is 10.890 on the bike *evil grin*
that woulda been with alot of smiles ;)

twin eng, twin turbs
26-09-2006, 10:44 PM
In reply to endless MK1, yes i will be making considerably more power than the 138kw at the wheels i had previously on 14psi. I have fully rebuilt the 1.8 8v with 0.020" oversize forged pistons and rods, a knife edged and linished crank, lightened flywheel, custom alloy pulley wheels, fully balanced and blue printed, modified sump with baffles and additional 1.1 litres capacity. A 282 degree schrick cam, new guides, ferrea valves 42mm inlet 35 mm exhaust. extensive porting of head and manifolds to match. A high flowed IHI VF22 roller bearing turbo and 20psi. I hope to see 180kw at the wheels when run in and tuned up! Stripped out with slicks my best before was 13.4sec and yes ill have pics posted k!

golf3
27-09-2006, 07:56 AM
OMG...

Please have a good gearbox...

Or you'll make messy sauce...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

EndlessMKI
27-09-2006, 08:48 AM
HAHAHHA HOLLY CRAP........thats awesome dude.

good to see the shrick cam being put to good use.

Hope you get into 12's.

glf-mk1
27-09-2006, 11:19 AM
yes the gear boxes... ive actually have blown like 6 or 7 gear boxes .. every time me and my dad strip them its either 2nd gears been munched and all the broken teeth were draged into the diff and smashed the pinion gear and crown gear thus leading to a very big hole in the casing. i only had a 2.1l 8v where my best time was 14.2 at 94mph... how can these gear box woes be fixed?????

EndlessMKI
27-09-2006, 12:17 PM
yes the gear boxes... ive actually have blown like 6 or 7 gear boxes .. every time me and my dad strip them its either 2nd gears been munched and all the broken teeth were draged into the diff and smashed the pinion gear and crown gear thus leading to a very big hole in the casing. i only had a 2.1l 8v where my best time was 14.2 at 94mph... how can these gear box woes be fixed?????

nice MKI mate

ausgolfer
27-09-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get an upgrade kit from the pins in the diff to proper bolts. This solves one of the problems. For the lunching of gears you might have to move into a stronger gear set. Like Quaife or Gemini.

glf-mk1
27-09-2006, 02:25 PM
ow nice ... how hard is it to get these Quaife or Gemini gear set???....i take it they would be pricey and hard to come by in oz..

EndlessMKI
27-09-2006, 02:28 PM
VW boxes are shamefull. Honda boxes from a B16a can cope with 200KW without a sniffle easy.

cooper
27-09-2006, 05:14 PM
ow nice ... how hard is it to get these Quaife or Gemini gear set???....i take it they would be pricey and hard to come by in oz..

There is no quaife agent in australia, but there is one in N.Z. They make top quality gear sets and diffs and are not all that expensive for what you are getting. My father has dealt with the N.Z. agent buying a sc/cr gear set and auto torque biasing diff for his clubman and found them great to deal with. Not sure of the agents name but if you do a google search you will find it.

gtimk5
27-09-2006, 05:16 PM
I have seen their ad in Rallysport magazine. :)