PDA

View Full Version : Mk4 Gti servicing and manual....????

peteon2wheels
25-09-2006, 08:42 PM
I bought a Mk4 Gti 01 model with 100,000km on it. Its had all the servicing done in the log books by VW mechanics, but the section for the timing belt change hasnt been ticked at all and it doesnt seem to specify when they should be changed like in some other vehicle service manuals. Any idea when this is meant to be changed? Or if not changed checked?

Also, ive always done my own mechanics but i usually go by a service manual of some sort. Whats the best way of geting one? Ive tried searching the net for a download but cant seem to find any. Got any ideas on free manuals???

If not where is the next cheapest place to get a decent manual?

Love the gti, awesome car to drive. I look forward to going to work just cause i get to drive it there and back!!! Not real quick, which doesnt really bother me but i would like to eventually improve handling and power so it was not rediculous if i wanted to do a track day or 2.

MK2 GTI
25-09-2006, 08:45 PM
cambelt needs to be done at 90,000 kms on that car, while you got it apart you should change the water pump (plastic impellor,they break) upgrade to a metal one and also do the tensioner bearing.

aprr32
25-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Water pumps, what were they thinking.I changed one the other day that only had 46,000 km on it when it failed.The tensioners don't seem to be a problem but we always change them as it's cheap insurance.

brackie
26-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Please tell me that the impeller on the MK5 diesls aren't plastic...:rolleyes:

BLKMJC
26-09-2006, 09:52 AM
As the others said before, around 90k so please do it! Water pump also at 100k, you can do both.

Their a great car, put a chip into it and you'll raise the power to around 145kw which is plenty fun.

BLKMJC

RedMk2Gti
28-09-2006, 09:11 AM
90K or 4 years, whichever come first. So you should do it ASAP. If you want to diy, get a Bentley manual from amazon.com, it'll cost you about $130 shipped, but worth it.

peteon2wheels
28-09-2006, 06:41 PM
it needs a service, and i do 500km in a week, so im wondering whether i should change the oil this weekend, and order the manual during the week hoping for it to be here to do the timing asap. normally the oil doesnt have to be drained to do a timing belt, does it need to be in the gti? if so ill just ride more and drive less untill i get it done. any special (aka...stupid excuses for more money German ideas) tools i will need that are out of the norm. ive got good sockets, spanners screwdrives, torx (safety torx also) etc, but do i need any out of the norm tools? is it just a check and possible tension or a complete change of belt? if a new belt what am i looking at?

also whats the steel impeller worth and where from? do the plastic ones just disintefgrate normally or do they gradually wear down? (just trying to get an idea as to whether i need to do it, or if its something to be put on the list-obviously be better if i do it now, but im a little over spending money after paying for the car, then rego transfer, and licence renewal, and ive got insurance to pay within bout 10 days as well)

hmmm...anything else i need to ask or say....?:?

fuzion
03-10-2006, 11:28 AM
I suggest if your bit warey of doing it, getting somebody else to do it for you.

SInce your in sydney contact Seb @ Euromotive out in Girraween, otherwise Damian @ Jade Auto in Rosebery and get them to do it for you?

MK2 GTI
03-10-2006, 07:04 PM
I've seen golf 4's with 120,000kms on the cambelt and not snap, so im sure another week of driving wont hurt but do it asap(pull the top cambelt cover off and check the belts not too glazed, takes 2 seconds to do). You don't need to change oil on it to do the belt, you will need a jack to support the engine (have to take engine mount out). I recomend to change water pump, cambelt and bearing it's not worth leaving any of them. Better spending $300 or so on parts then $1000's on a new head and pistons because it self destructed or the engines cooked. It's a pretty hard job if you've never worked on a VW before so as fuzion said take it to someone who knows how to do it

peteon2wheels
04-10-2006, 12:33 PM
once ive got a manual sorrted ill do it myself. i do all mechanics myself. i have worked on VWs before. My mate has a mk3 vr6 that we timed ourselves on removing the whole front section of the car (needed to change the stupid water channels that crack on them) and we managed it in 7mins. ive woked on other vws with him, so there not that bigger deal, just though i might need some special tools.

ill get a manual and sort it soon. wheres best manual from? and also what are good priced suppliers for these kind on parts?

gtimk5
04-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Go to the manuals section on the forum. Its all there as to where to get one

peteon2wheels
06-10-2006, 08:23 AM
i changed the oil and filter, cleaned the air filter and am looking into getting a manual now. i put castrol magnatec 10/40 in it. im not used to putting in petrol engine oils, ive always had diesels so ive only ever used penrite diesel. would 10/40 be the right weight? i could only find volkwagon spec oils? also needing to get the replacement timing belt, and maybe the steel water pump. ive read hp gains from 150 to 215 just from a chip on vortex. is that likely? sounds a little to good to be true to me?

also, how do i reset the service warning? it keeps blasting me to tell me it needs an oil change, but its been done!!!!

RedMk2Gti
06-10-2006, 08:24 PM
i changed the oil and filter, cleaned the air filter and am looking into getting a manual now. i put castrol magnatec 10/40 in it. im not used to putting in petrol engine oils, ive always had diesels so ive only ever used penrite diesel. would 10/40 be the right weight? i could only find volkwagon spec oils? also needing to get the replacement timing belt, and maybe the steel water pump. ive read hp gains from 150 to 215 just from a chip on vortex. is that likely? sounds a little to good to be true to me?

also, how do i reset the service warning? it keeps blasting me to tell me it needs an oil change, but its been done!!!!

All Mk4 chip cost over $1000, so not a surprise that it'll give significant power gain.

Do a search in vwvortex, I saw somewhere which tell you how to reset service remiinder but I can't remember now .

gtimk5
06-10-2006, 08:52 PM
To reset the service indicator, press and hold the odo button and turn the ignition on. Release the button and then twist the clock setting knob to set the minutes. turn the ignition off and on and voila! All fixed! Same setup with the mk5s too. :)

mikinoz
19-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Won't need to come and see you for that service now andrew, as resetting the spanner is all I really care about! :p

See you on the 10th!