PDA

View Full Version : horn problem..

Jarred
16-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi guys. Wanting a bit of help please. Car is an 85 80 (sport :nana:)

This used to be an intermittent problem but now it's happening more and more.

Whenever I turn right, the horn beeps, and quite often when I hit the indicator (to turn right) the horn will be too.

This is really starting to annoy me? Any one got any ideas? (besides just disconnect the horn)

Thanks guys.

Jarred

projectsplat
16-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Horn Problem

This used to be an intermittent problem but now it's happening more and more.

i think there is a cream you can get for that....

VW Convert
16-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi guys. Wanting a bit of help please. Car is an 85 80 (sport :nana:)

Any one got any ideas? (besides just disconnect the horn)

Thanks guys.

Jarred

Sorry Jarred, couldn't resist.........only turn left.....:biggrin:

Cheers

George

Jmac
16-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Mate the horm works on an earth return so something is a miss in the horn pad or the contact ring on the indicator stock.
Take the wheel off (24mm nut) . The contact on the stock switch behind the wheel isnt sitting on the steering wheel properly by the sounds. Have you had the wheel off??????
Cheers
JMac

Jarred
16-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Nope havn't had the wheel off.

I was hoping I wouldn't have too, (cause I hadn't done it before) but looks like I might have too. Will look over the weekend.

Thanks Jmac

Jmac
17-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey mate its easy just tug off the horn pad and then its the 24mm nut, no worries
Cheers
Jmac

Jarred
23-09-2008, 03:25 PM
took my wheel off today (finally) and then put it back on basically..:eek:

I had a look at a few things, but wasn't to know wether it was meant to be or not, so I cut my losses and chucked the wheel back on.

Took it for a quick drive round the block, and nothing beeped when it shouldn't have.

So who knows. I'll write again if I have any more issues with it.
(would post a pic, but I got a new camera, which is having issues with my PC!)

Jmac
23-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Ok then mate that sounds like its the contact on the switches and you have upset them a bit on removal/refit, all good if it has stopped mate. You would have seen this when you removed the wheel
Cheers
Jmac

Treza360
24-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Ok then mate that sounds like its the contact on the switches and you have upset them a bit on removal/refit, all good if it has stopped mate. You would have seen this when you removed the wheel
Cheers
Jmac
On my old Magna the contact patches which Jimmy has alluded to had bent and under certain conditions they were touching even though I wasn't pressing on the horn.
Was most embarassing as one day the horn just stuck on. I pulled the fuse until I worked out what the problem was. Basically all I had to do was bend the contact in question away slightly and all was good.
Have you bashed the horn recently at someone nice and hard and given your windscreen a spray? :evil:

Jmac
24-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah Trent good point there mate a good thumo on that pad can cause this too:eek: