PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 TDI mods ?

TDI DSG
24-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi to all
Have taken delivery of a new Golf 5 2.0TDI DSG a few weeks ago. Its my first VW and I'm really liknig it !! While doing some research I found this forum - you guys have a lot of good information and help available here which is great for someone like myself with no background knowledge of VW products. As good as these 2.0 TDI's go I wonder about the gains to be had with a remap of the ECU as done by tdi.com.au. The claims are for an additional 50+ nm of tourque and 35+ kw. This is a pretty huge increase from something as simple as software - is it that good ? Have any of you guys had experience with this or similar modifications - if so are there any drawbacks ? Looking forward to some feedback from some of you VW enthusiasts.

Steve

gtimk5
24-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it and get lots of info out of it.:)
Bugracer and myself do computer upgrades. He does GIAC and I do APR and Oettinger. The petrol models gain a lot just from the remapping and make the vehicles get up and go! While I am yet to do the Oettinger reflash yet, (come on Brackie!) the difference is substancial. I can pm you some figures tomorrow if you want. Where are you located?
The driveability would be greatly improved if its anything like the petrol upgrades.
Good to have you on the forum. Cheers, Andrew:)

TDI DSG
24-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the welcome Andrew. I take it you have not flashed a TDI as yet ? I'm in Melbourne by the way. The car goes really well as is but the sort of quoted increases would really put it in a different league to drive. I was also told full factory backed VW warranty was only a matter of weeks away.

gtimk5
24-09-2006, 11:43 AM
No. I haven't flashed a TDI yet. Won't be lomg though, I'm sure. Volkspower in Melbourne do the Oettinger flashes. Talk to Dean about it. (mention me!) He will be able to sort you out. Great car and yes, it would put it in a league of its own! Cheers :)

brackie
24-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Welcome to our forum. Yes.... I will be visiting Andrew for a little work on my ECU, however I would like the engine to loosen up a bit first (only 2800km on it now).
Intersting that you say VW will back an upgrade. First that I've heard of it as they nomally say that it voids warranty.
The increase in torque alone would make the TDI really fly (not that it doesn't already :) )

gtimk5
24-09-2006, 12:09 PM
I am not going to start a software war but the Oettinger one comes with a warranty covering the engine and drivetrain one I think.....
Its German too

TDI DSG
24-09-2006, 12:13 PM
I spoke to Dean (I think it was Dean) at volkspower a few weeks ago - before even getting the car home - about the remap. He indicated that the process of having a factory backed warranty was almost complete and that it was available in most other countries in the world ? May have just been a sales pitch although he seemed quite genuine ?

Steve

TDI DSG
24-09-2006, 12:14 PM
The way it was explained to me was that oettinger was an unofficial offshoot of volksawgen - is this correct ?

gtimk5
24-09-2006, 06:15 PM
No. They have worked closely with VW. They are mainly owned by APR these days :)

gtimk5
24-09-2006, 06:19 PM
I would say Dean is very genuine. He, at this stage would be more up to date with the warranty issues than me. I am still learning!!! :D

Bug_racer
25-09-2006, 04:59 AM
Intersting that you say VW will back an upgrade.

Last time I spoke to VW they wont back any tuners under warranty

Bug_racer
25-09-2006, 05:00 AM
I am not going to start a software war but the Oettinger one comes with a warranty covering the engine and drivetrain one I think.....
Its German too

Post up a copy of the warranty document if you could please . Ive been told its useless anyway

Bug_racer
25-09-2006, 05:03 AM
The way it was explained to me was that oettinger was an unofficial offshoot of volksawgen - is this correct ?

Oettinger was the performance part of VW in Europe . They are backed by VW/Audi dealers in Europe , NOT IN AUSTRALIA . VW and Audi DO NOT RECOGNISE OETTINGER as a factory supplier of parts . Unless it can be bought from a dealer then the dealer can refuse any warranty claim . Chips are sold through a second party and not the dealer . Performance upgrades are not available from the dealer in Australia .

GoLfMan
25-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Oettinger was the performance part of VW in Europe . They are backed by VW/Audi dealers in Europe , NOT IN AUSTRALIA . VW and Audi DO NOT RECOGNISE OETTINGER as a factory supplier of parts . Unless it can be bought from a dealer then the dealer can refuse any warranty claim . Chips are sold through a second party and not the dealer . Performance upgrades are not available from the dealer in Australia .
there is a Oettinger upgrade for the MK5 GTI that is coverd by VW Australia warrenty!

Bug_racer
25-09-2006, 01:43 PM
there is a Oettinger upgrade for the MK5 GTI that is coverd by VW Australia warrenty!

So the dealers are reflashing cars with Oettinger programs ?
News to me , do you have a technical bulletin for this ?

GoLfMan
25-09-2006, 01:53 PM
So the dealers are reflashing cars with Oettinger programs ?
News to me , do you have a technical bulletin for this ?
it wasnt the dealers flashings the cars...
no sorry mate it was in wheels mag last month i think?!
im no expert im just saying what i saw in a wheels mag :?

Bug_racer
25-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Here is the official statement from VGA Australia :

VGA DON'T DO OETTINGER CHIP UPGRADES. MAYBE ONCE
> UPON A TIME BUT
> NOT ANYMORE.
>

GoLfMan
25-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Here is the official statement from VGA Australia :

VGA DON'T DO OETTINGER CHIP UPGRADES. MAYBE ONCE
> UPON A TIME BUT
> NOT ANYMORE.
>
i stand corrected :)

TDI DSG
25-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up bug racer. I'm not keen to void my factory warranty even if the chip supplier supposedly makes up the shortfall with their own warranty. From my limited knowledge of the DSG box it is contolled by the ECU ? Voiding the factory warranty is a pretty big risk in $$$ terms. I think I will enquire about it again in few months - if what I was told originally was true then the oettinger flash should be factory backed by then.

TDI DSG
31-10-2006, 03:51 PM
After doing some more research I am pretty convinced to give the DPChip a try - it is user installable and removable and calibrated for Oz fuel and conditions. Also has a 30 day money back guarantee.

GoLfMan
31-10-2006, 08:08 PM
awesome keep us posted!

DubSteve
01-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Lets see some pics of the car lol.