PDA

View Full Version : "Programmable" features?? + Audio functions on steering wheel

Ditropan
24-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi all, I am new to the forum. Just got delivery of the new Jetta FSI Turbo, an absolute gem. Noticed a few "discrepancy" if anyone can solve the mysteries...

The List of equipments listed in the car brochure states clearly that "Two-stage unlocking of door (programmable)" and "automatic door locking after travelling xkm/h (programmable)". Does anyone know how to "program" to make it work?

Also, the top left hand button of the right-hand-side group of buttons on the steering wheel seems not meant to be functioning. The dealer said it will only work if the car is fitted with a Sat-Nav.

Thirdly, it seems that I can ONLY control the volume of the audio from the sets of buttons on the steering wheel, is that the case. If so that is quite disappointing because I've got a 206 which is meant to be inferior car but the remote audio control on the steering wheel seems to be more functional than the Jetta.

Sorry to bombard you guys with all these question. I supposed I just had a very high expectation from the Jetta.

neo25x5
24-09-2006, 10:31 AM
hi ditropan

nice choice mate. the turbo FSI must be a real hoot to drive!

the remote should definitely be two stage. one press of the unlock button should open the drivers. two quick presses will unlock everything. this stuff should have all been programmed prior to delivery. if this doesn't i'd be taking her back to the dealer to have it programmed properly.

yeah, i must say i also wish the buttons on the steering wheel could do more than just change the volume. it is a bit disappointing that you can't flick radio stations or cd tracks from the steering wheel.

LS1 Cobra
24-09-2006, 11:02 AM
It looks like the dealer has locked some of the functions out on mine as well. I was going through the manual and it shows all these extra menus for the trip computer but you can't get into that mode. I'm going to ask the dealer to enable them on my first service.

On mine there is a button with a star on it that seems to mute the audio system but the button with the phone pic on it does nothing. It's a shame it doesn't have blue tooth incorporated into it.

The audio controls are a bit disapointing but I've found the audio system to be in easy reach so it's not too much of a problem.

gtimk5
24-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Welcome Ditropan. The stealers will charge you for resetting the lock function. If you can track down someone with Vag-com off the forum in melbourne I am sure they will be able to help you out for a beer or two?!
I will double check the buttons on my GTI when I go out today (in the rain!). Great choice of car you have there too. They are superior to Peugots!!
The phone button will not do anything without the kit. The manual shows lots of different features that don't work unless you have the sat nav fitted. It is confusing, isn't it? Cheers, Andrew :)

gtimk5
24-09-2006, 06:28 PM
I checked my Golf this arvo and the top left button on the RHS doesn't do anything. :)
I can reach my radio easily to change stations and disc/songs

Ditropan
24-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys, will certainly check with the "stealer".

What about automatic door lock function upon taking off?

Had a nice drive in the rain today, cornering was effortless, smooth and easy no jittering, the lowered suspension definitely did the trick and DSG kicked in without even noticing. One weekend I am thinking of driving off to Mt Dandenong to test those curves and hair pins... (don't let my wife know)

Dr Spine
25-09-2006, 09:15 PM
I too have found the non functioning buttons on the steering wheel to be a bit of a let down. Just daydreaming but it would be nice if they could be 'reprogrammed' to skip to the next track on the CD.

EUS GTIMK5
25-09-2006, 10:04 PM
You should have got them all done prior to delivery. I asked for the following to be set up when I got my car. I think some may be "standard" features but it's prbably safest to ask. -
1. One click - all doors open.
2. If car unlocked - Hold down close/open button and all windows close and car locks.
3. If car locked - Hold down close/open button and all windows open and car unlocks
3. Auto lock after 20 kmh. Again got kids.
4. Auto open when doors locked and key removed from ignition
5. No horn to sound when lock car.
6. No horn to sound when unlock car.
7. Courtesy head lights set time to 20 seconds
There may be others but I think tese are the main ones?

gtimk5
26-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Another one to add. After unlocking, if a door isn,t opened after a short while it relocks itself Cheers!:)

Ditropan
26-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Got the dealer to re-programmed it at no cost. Apparently you can also get them to re-program certain other features mentioned in the manual.

So it is now one click on the button to unlock driver's door, click again to unlock all doors, and automatic locking after 15km/h.

Dr Spine
27-09-2006, 07:10 AM
Perhaps different dealers do different things as standard? I didn't ask for any of these things yet they are all there except for the auto door locking after driving a distance.

gtimk5
27-09-2006, 07:16 AM
They should sit down with there buyers and go through the settings to see what you would like. I haven't heard of any dealers doing this. I have heard of them charging $90 to reset them at the first service too. Crazy eh?:?

eestison
27-09-2006, 09:36 AM
i have a VAG-COM cable, i will be moving down to Brisbane (from Mackay) next week...

i am happy to help - no charge etc... but you can bring a sixer of becks/nastro/stella if you feel compelled :D

gtimk5
27-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Nice offer to the guys Eesteson but the fellas are in Melbourne. Make that a six pack and airfares? !!:)

eestison
27-09-2006, 09:54 AM
i'll get my coat, brrr. =)

if any QLDers need a hand i am happy to help - if you are really keen, and out of the state, let me know when my flight is booked hahaha.

i am a VAG-COM n00b, but there is more than enough info available (and the interface is intuitive enough) to get the job done right.

gtimk5
27-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Wots cheaper? Hobart/Melbourne or Brissie/Melbourne flights? Cheers, Andrew:)

Dr Spine
27-09-2006, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=eestison]i have a VAG-COM cable, i will be moving down to Brisbane (from Mackay) next week...

Mate, are you moving to Brissie to live? Hopefully I can get some golf owners together to go for a good drive and great lunch somewhere in south east Queensland.

eestison
27-09-2006, 06:48 PM
yes, i will be living in south central brissy hahaha... sunnybank hills to be precise. i have a new job to go to at archerfield (Caterpillar).

it would be awesome to sort a drive day or similar. i will be fairly busy for the first week or so, settling in - but after that i should be good to go.

keep me posted :D

Dr Spine
28-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Once you're settled in you should take a drive up to Toowoomba (about 1.5 hours) on the edge of the Great Dividing Range. There's some lovely scenery/roads about here. Also some great spots for food/lunch.

gtimk5
28-09-2006, 07:52 AM
It would be good to see a QLD run. Lets get the scene active up there. Oh, and with pics too! :)

Ditropan
28-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Wow, QLD seems to have some good places to have a drive. I'll be up in Northern Rivers NSW next week (yes, taking the Jetta from Melbourne, stopping Canberra, Newcastle and Coffs along the way) and will certainly make some time to explore up north.

eestison
28-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Once you're settled in you should take a drive up to Toowoomba (about 1.5 hours) on the edge of the Great Dividing Range. There's some lovely scenery/roads about here. Also some great spots for food/lunch.

i am keen for that. i will keep you posted - woohoo, SE QLD drive day :D

wheelzy72
28-09-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm also keen for a drive day I'm in caloundra on the sunshine coast, Im keen for a trip to Toowoonba or through somerset dam keep me posted.

Dr Spine
29-09-2006, 03:06 PM
I've got a good mate who's done/planned some great drives for the MR2 club about south Qld. I'll have a chat to him and get some ideas. We'll make it a mix of smooth straight touring as well as a bit of the bendy stuff through some of the mountain ranges.
Will get back to the group with some ideas. I think we have 3 in so far? The more the merrier.

shaneth
29-09-2006, 03:23 PM
As long as i have my polo by the time you do it ill come for a run (thats if youll let a polo tag along.:D ). There are plent of awesome spots around SE QLD to drive to. I have organised a few in different forums. Just depends how far everyone is willing to drive.

eestison
29-09-2006, 03:35 PM
everyone is welcome, there is no VW model bias afaik :)

shaneth
29-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Thats good to hear. ;) Should start a new thread in the "Clubs, meets and events " section as we have already hijacked this one enough.

gtimk5
29-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey Shaneth. Get the dealer to lend you a VW for that weekend. I had the demo GTI on a few weekends during my wait. It was black DSG, leather and Zenons. I made sure it went back cleaner than when I got it, thats all :)

shaneth
29-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Hmmm thats a good idea. will see what i can organise.

Hilton_K
04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Wow, QLD seems to have some good places to have a drive. I'll be up in Northern Rivers NSW next week (yes, taking the Jetta from Melbourne, stopping Canberra, Newcastle and Coffs along the way) and will certainly make some time to explore up north.

Make sure you look at the Putty road from Sydney (more presice Windsor) to Singelton in the Hunter Valley. You'll have a blast on it!! Also the old pacific highway from sydney to Gosford is good too :-) Very nice pie shop near Brooklyn on the way as well ;-)

Subie25L
04-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys, will certainly check with the "stealer".

What about automatic door lock function upon taking off?

Had a nice drive in the rain today, cornering was effortless, smooth and easy no jittering, the lowered suspension definitely did the trick and DSG kicked in without even noticing. One weekend I am thinking of driving off to Mt Dandenong to test those curves and hair pins... (don't let my wife know)

So whats with the blue tooth? Is it only an option if you get sat nav or can you buy a blue tooth kit from the dealer. There was no mention of this when i went for the test drive and i asked about the blue tooth.

Any anyone provide some info on what options you only get if you get satnav. I don't trust the dealer to be fully informed.

Dr Spine
09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
OK, I've now started a new thread in the Clubs, Meets and Events section to see how much interest there is for a Queensland (South East) drive day. So if anyone in Qld or even north NSW has an interest, head over to the thread and register your interest. If there is enough feedback I'll start the planning.

The drive is open to Golf, Jetta and Polo's. I'm obviously hoping to get plenty of GTI's involved. Lets see what happens.