PDA

View Full Version : Audi 100's / A6's C4 gens ... any thoughts?

Golf Houso
09-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I was thinking to dare I say "downgrade" from my mk3 to an Audi C4 gen 100/A6 due to insurance affordabilty, me being 6'4 and whole lot of other reasons.

Does anyone here own one or has owned before and have any thoughts on the car? It has to be a manual, but thats about the only requirement I've seen a few on car sales and saw an auto today at a yard and I'm really interested.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers, Branko.

Jmac
10-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Hey mate you are not downgrading there , these were very good and still are if they have been loked after. V6 and 2.3 5cyl both good engines and both strong, just keep them serviced and do the water pump with the belts like all the rest. nothing fancy about the Auto either, but you must also keep it serviced, TBH you are best with a manual. On of that age now will have tired suspension and will waller around on the road like a ship on the ocean. Only real dramas i remember with these is when you open up the cooling system to do any repairs you will be guaranteed you need the radiator flushed or replaced because when the coolant level drops all the crap drops to the bottom of the rad keeping the fan switch cool thus overheating the engine. aprt from that they are generally very good.
CHeers
Jmac

dysolve
11-09-2008, 10:18 AM
what year model would you be looking at?

Golf Houso
11-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey mate you are not downgrading there , these were very good and still are if they have been loked after. V6 and 2.3 5cyl both good engines and both strong, just keep them serviced and do the water pump with the belts like all the rest. nothing fancy about the Auto either, but you must also keep it serviced, TBH you are best with a manual. On of that age now will have tired suspension and will waller around on the road like a ship on the ocean. Only real dramas i remember with these is when you open up the cooling system to do any repairs you will be guaranteed you need the radiator flushed or replaced because when the coolant level drops all the crap drops to the bottom of the rad keeping the fan switch cool thus overheating the engine. aprt from that they are generally very good.
CHeers
Jmac

Thanks for the tips Jmac, the term "downgrade" is being used very loosely and might apply in terms of price but hardly in quality. Yeah I have significant inkling towards manuals as my current car is one, but won't disregard a nice auto. I'm just struggling to justify keeping my golf atm

Any other tips/signs I should look for Jmac? Considering all these cars are pretty much in the sub 200k milage range?

I'm looking at any of them tbh, 100, 200(the turbo one hopefully :biggrin:), 80, 90, A6 and A4's even.

I'm looking at Saabs and Volvo's as well, whatever I can find thats decent and a manual at the Pickles/Fowles auctions as I live literally within 20 minutes of both.