PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filters for biodiesel

Brom
08-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm after advise on either buying fuel filters in bulk or cheap as im expecting to go through quite a few in the first few months of biodiesel and veg oil.
It's for my mk1 with the bosch screw in filter. Seeing as the last tank of petrol before it became a diesel has half a bottle of injector cleaner in it i suspect the tank and lines are already reasonably clean. But there could still be a lot of muck to deal with.

Does anybody know where i should be buying these in Sydney or online?

Hugh

iain
09-09-2008, 07:47 PM
These filters (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-Filter-VW-Volvo-Audi-Diesel-Jetta-Golf-Rabbit-80s_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1163Q7c39Q3a1 Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2e c0Q2em14QQhashZitem230289494119QQitemZ230289494119 ) are cheap on ebay. Cheaper in bulk.

Here (http://www.greaseworks.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_40&products_id=186) is a link to a great fuel line kit - very expensive but everything fits perfectly.

I've done about 25000 k's on B100. I used a couple of inline $5 filters for the first few tanks, not much dirt seemed to be in there. Buy a few of the ebay filters and just change em after a couple of tanks or when needed.

My IP now leaks but is not so bad I need to replace or rebuild it yet. Anyone know of a good injection place in Melb?

Cheers, Iain

neil
10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm after advise on either buying fuel filters in bulk or cheap as im expecting to go through quite a few in the first few months of biodiesel and veg oil.
It's for my mk1 with the bosch screw in filter. Seeing as the last tank of petrol before it became a diesel has half a bottle of injector cleaner in it i suspect the tank and lines are already reasonably clean. But there could still be a lot of muck to deal with.

Does anybody know where i should be buying these in Sydney or online?

Hugh

I think I have read your post correctly that you have replaced the petrol motor with a diesel ??.
If so you should not have a problem with blocking of the filter going from a petrol motor,
Its only from a diesel tank that would have the build up of the sludge/bacteria in the tank
that the biodiesel will kill causing your filters to block.
So what are you going to run it on Bio or Veg oil.
Neil.

Brom
10-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes thats right. I've taken the diesel out of my hatchback and put it in the cabriolet. I was going to run it on veg oil as i was getting 60 litres a week locally and storing it in a barrel out the back. But my ecconomy is so great at the moment it's barely worth the time to filter, or risk of damage if i don't filter enough. So i'm going to throw in a new filter anyhow as it's been about 30,000 k's since rebuild and then fill up on B100.

Where are you Iain? and where do you get your B100? I can't seem to find an up to date list of sellers in Sydney. Marrickville seems to be my best bet.

iain
12-09-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm in Melbourne. I buy B100 from a place in Thomastown called Fina, 1.45 a litre at the moment.

Check out this (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/) site if you haven't already, it has good info and a finder map for outlets.

I bought my GLD to run on veg oil but I'm too lazy to do the conversion.

Cheers, Iain