PDA

View Full Version : Enabling HVAC ON/OFF switch

brad
08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Some of you may have seen this on other forums - i did mine on Saturday & documented it.

Volkswagen group saves on development costs by using the same parts in their vehicles. The HVAC controls in Golf, A3, A4, Tiguan, Passat and Skoda are near identical.

To make the Skoda appear slightly downmarket from a Golf GTI they have omitted the ON/OFF button and the dual zone control from the center dial.

Dual zone (or single dial temperature control) is enabled by pressing the right hand AUTO button for 2 seconds.

The on/off function is handled by turning the fan control to OFF. But some find this inconvenient.

What VW don't tell you is that the ON/OFF button is still present but disabled.

These are the HVAC controls. You need to pull the top half of the middle dial out
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/subabrad/skoda/DSCF1454.jpg

You can slip a small flat blade underneath or better still a credit card.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/subabrad/skoda/DSCF1456.jpg

The circled tab has to be removed
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/subabrad/skoda/DSCF1457circle.jpg

Use a sharp blade
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/subabrad/skoda/DSCF1458.jpg

ON
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/subabrad/skoda/DSCF1459.jpg

Press the button & OFF
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/subabrad/skoda/DSCF1462.jpg

mrgolf
09-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Cool. Thats a good mod.

Now, is there a fix for:
- no red LED downlights
- no steering wheels controls on the RS. Tell me they have it connected, but havent added the buttons...???
- green backlighting...

:)

brad
09-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Cool. Thats a good mod.

Now, is there a fix for:
- no red LED downlights
- no steering wheels controls on the RS. Tell me they have it connected, but havent added the buttons...???
- green backlighting...

:)
Where are these downlights on the GTI? pics?

You can put an Elegance wheel on. Even a Golf wheel. It will need the airbag as well though (and a module IIRC).

Backlighting? I can't even remember what colour it is in the Skoda

mrx
09-09-2008, 09:51 PM
If you could be bothered there is nothing to stop you wiring up your own led downlightling, and likewise you could change the colour of the lighting in the insturment cluster - if you could be bothered.

The thing that annoys me is that every time the ignition is turned off the climate control reverts back to dual mode off. If you're getting in and out of the car a lot it is annoying for the passenger to have to readjust their temperature every time. The golf doesn't do this, it comes on however it was left. I might have to poke around with Vagcom and see if I can change it.

Guy_H
10-09-2008, 08:42 AM
MRX, I'm certain thats only coding of the control unit.

brad
10-09-2008, 09:24 AM
The thing that annoys me is that every time the ignition is turned off the climate control reverts back to dual mode off. If you're getting in and out of the car a lot it is annoying for the passenger to have to readjust their temperature every time. The golf doesn't do this, it comes on however it was left. I might have to poke around with Vagcom and see if I can change it.
Mine doesn't do that. Everything stays where I set it.

That's what I really like about the car - nothing resets when I turn off the ignition. The cruise control doesn't switch off, the HVAC stays where i set it, the sound system does what it's told. I our last 2 cars (JAP & KOR) where shockers for acting as if they know better than the driver.

edit: let me have a play with mine this arvo. I think maybe you just need to hold the Auto button in for 2 secs (maybe I'm wrong).

mrgolf
10-09-2008, 09:29 AM
The red LED downlights are in the sunroof/ interior lights unit. Will post pics later. They are tres cool. Bathe the area around the gearstick in a beautiful red glow.

So you can direct swap a GTI wheel and use the buttons???

Guy_H
10-09-2008, 10:07 AM
The red LED downlights are in the sunroof/ interior lights unit. Will post pics later. They are tres cool. Bathe the area around the gearstick in a beautiful red glow.

So you can direct swap a GTI wheel and use the buttons???

You can, but you need to take the VW airbag & steering wheel controller. At this stage there is no Skoda wheel with controls that will take the VRS airbag - there are some 4 spoke versions, but albiet - less sporty!

brad
10-09-2008, 01:00 PM
^^^ what he said. (I think I alluded to wheel+airbag+control module somewhere else)

BriSkoda seem to have the most info on stuff like that - a few people have done changes to other tillers.

mrx
10-09-2008, 02:51 PM
MRX, I'm certain thats only coding of the control unit.

Thanks, I figured as much. I'll compare the Golf to the Skoda when I get a chance (the missus has confiscated the Skoda today - fair enough I suppose, technically it is her car).

Mine doesn't do that. Everything stays where I set it.

edit: let me have a play with mine this arvo. I think maybe you just need to hold the Auto button in for 2 secs (maybe I'm wrong).

I tried that after reading your original post above, but it still resets every time on mine - not to worry, I'm sure I'll be able to find the bit to change in Vagcom.

Fredescu
10-09-2008, 08:52 PM
That's what I really like about the car - nothing resets when I turn off the ignition. The cruise control doesn't switch off, the HVAC stays where i set it, the sound system does what it's told. I our last 2 cars (JAP & KOR) where shockers for acting as if they know better than the driver.
Everything stays the same for me EXCEPT for Recirc. It always turns itself off. I put it down to design and have been living with it. Maybe I should ask the dealer to fix it.

Guy_H
11-09-2008, 08:10 AM
The Recirc thing is definitely programming - its a country to country thing and the AUS ADR requires it to default open for some reason.

brad
11-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Everything stays the same for me EXCEPT for Recirc. It always turns itself off. I put it down to design and have been living with it. Maybe I should ask the dealer to fix it.
I never use recrculated air unless I'm driving through a tunnel. Fresh Air FTMFW! OMG! The thought of recirculating my farts:eek:

mrgolf
14-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Did the switch mod on Friday. Took about a minute. Much happier camper now. This is the way it should have been from the start. What a silly corporate decision...

woofy
28-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm currently looking at getting an RS, but still trying to work out the differences between our '06 and these controls. In my 6 there is an A/C button that turns off just the A/C but not the fans/heating. It basically just turns all the climate control part of the A/C off. Is there something like that there...or just everything off, or climate control only on.

mrx
28-10-2008, 06:01 PM
The ECON button is your air conditioning compressor ON/OFF button. In economy mode the aircon doesn't run.

woofy
28-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Hmm are you sure, in my other cars econ is just a cut down A/C mode, but still A/C. There is always and A/C on/off button as well.

mrx
28-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Hmm are you sure, in my other cars econ is just a cut down A/C mode, but still A/C. There is always and A/C on/off button as well.

Yes! I know what you're referring to, but VW's / Skoda's the econ button could just as easily be labelled AC On/Off. Except in this case the Econ button lights up when the aircon is off.

mrgolf
28-10-2008, 07:23 PM
This man speaks truth.

The 06 is a non-climate control model, no? Very different O/S to the RS model.
This is the same unit as in a Sportline or above (GTI, R32, GT) minus a couple of controls. The econ button turns the compressor off.

woofy
28-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Well thats good, I hardly ever use economy in my 6, but I do quite often turn off the A/C in winter so it still keeps the heat going.

woofy
27-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I get the dual climate control reverting back to auto everytime its turned off as well.....but it doesn't annoy me, most of the time its just me anyway.