PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank storage

Bluerex
28-07-2005, 08:08 AM
The "book" says that once the tank is removed from the vehicle, it MUST be steam cleaned to remove all traces of fuel and vapor. Anyone done this or got any suggestions. I would rather not blow my shed up.

C

Belgianwaffler
28-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Wash it with metho then let it dry completety (in the sun would be good) then seal all ends; that is what I did to my last one and I'm still around ...
also when you store a that lawn mower "fuel can" in the shed your basically storing a small fuel tank ...as long as it's a storage space and not your workshop (ie:grinding, welding going on) then you should be fine.

peter_j_g
28-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Hi,

Try this - Fill the tank completely full of water, then empty it out, and put it outside in the sun to dry completely.

Bluerex
28-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Wash it with metho then let it dry completety (in the sun would be good) then seal all ends; that is what I did to my last one and I'm still around ...
also when you store a that lawn mower "fuel can" in the shed your basically storing a small fuel tank ...as long as it's a storage space and not your workshop (ie:grinding, welding going on) then you should be fine.
So you haven't seen my portable welding bench with its fuel can supports :P

But seriously, I think a combination of the washout and metho sounds like the trick.

Thanks

C

Belgianwaffler
28-07-2005, 10:36 AM
:shock: oh oh :lol:
Metho mixes with petrol and is also less dense thus should be able to bind well to the petrol left in there .... metho also has water in it thus why you need to leave it to dry out well.

roccodingo
28-07-2005, 10:35 PM
:shock: oh oh :lol:
Metho mixes with petrol and is also less dense thus should be able to bind well to the petrol left in there .... metho also has water in it thus why you need to leave it to dry out well.

I hot caustic dip mine, removers fumes, rust paint etc... then u can re weld it if need be.Then coat the inside with a good sloshing of oil and CRC...stored with holes capped also...

Bluerex
29-07-2005, 11:44 AM
I hot caustic dip mine, removers fumes, rust paint etc.

Is this something you get done commercially? or is there a DIY option? Hmmm do I really want to play with hot caustic solutions in the back yard..... maybe not :shock:

C

roccodingo
29-07-2005, 11:49 PM
have a look see in the yellow pages under chemical cleaning.. etc..
We had a hot tank where i was working a few years ago, the parts come up a treat.. the chemicals are biodegradeable these days..

One of the scirocco fuel tanks had gummed up fuel in the outlet pipe, so it was in the dip for about 3 days, removed all the residue gum from fuel sitting in it for 6 years..soldered a small hole, had it sandblasted then painted with 2 pack.

You may find a hot tank at an engine reconditioner also...

Bluerex
01-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Just a thought, should I be looking at replacing the old tank with that from a diesel mk1? Additional baffling or something???
C

Golf Loon
01-08-2005, 11:08 PM
is the car efi bluerex? if not, leave the tank as it is.

Bluerex
02-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Fair enough, no efi - just a set of Barking Webbers (twin 40s)

C

Golf Loon
02-08-2005, 07:31 PM
If running carby, stick with the original tank, as the diesel tank is smaller les weight, but more fillups :roll:

finemk1
02-08-2005, 07:46 PM
while there is a fuel tank subject going on and i dont mean to deter the original question posted but i bought a new fuel gauge and it requires swaping the flote in the tank and neeeds holes drilled to bolt it in the exsisting hole under the pasenger seat, if i hook up the guge to the original wires/float it reads 1/4 tank out. is ther a way to fit this or drying and flushing out the tank with the tank still in the car or , or im i just being a stupid lazy bloke who doesnt want to take the tank out and want to short cut which may result in blowing my dub up in the process?

GoLfMan
03-08-2005, 03:35 PM

C

have you put those on yet?

Bluerex
04-08-2005, 08:25 PM

C

have you put those on yet?

Not as such :lol: :lol:

http://xs40.xs.to/pics/05314/Golf64.jpg (http://xs.to)

Not quite ready for them yet....
http://xs40.xs.to/pics/05314/Spit1.jpg (http://xs.to)

Maybe ask again in a few months :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

C

GoLfMan
04-08-2005, 08:41 PM
:lol: i see your point :lol:

Golfwise
05-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Great photo.
Now get to work ,there's lots to do.We all expect a weekly update ! 8)
That turntable looks great makes me think of all the nights lying on the floor staring up,getting crap in my eyes.