PDA

View Full Version : possible engine swaps for mk2??

jdrose
06-09-2008, 09:53 AM
im looking at doing a engine conversion on my mk2 jetta. what i wouldlike to know is how available some engines are. i would prefer a 1/2cut as then i would have nearly everthing i need to do the conversion.

the engines i am considering are:

vr6, 1.8t and the 1.9tdi.

my car has a 1.8l kjet 8v. would the gearbox bolt to the 1.8t motor? and if it did would i handle the extra power. do the mount match from the kjet to the 1.8t? and if i get a 5 stud brake assembly would i be able to use that?(more wheels choices with the 5stud).

i know the vr6 conversion is a bit more work, changing subframe and stuff like that. but when swapping subframes does it bolt straight in or is the a bit of fabrication needed?

i dont know much of the tdi conversions. i am fairly technically minded and would plan doing the swap myself. is their much involvedin this swap?

my last question(for now) is what is an average price for half cuts of these three engines? and where is a good place to find them? i live in se qld near brisbane.

thanks, in advance, for any help

rosie

also if anyone is interested in a 1.8 8v kjet motor and possibly gearbox and loom and com let me know.

h100vw
06-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I would do a 1.8T, your box would go on but it is unlikely to last that long. I would convert to a cable change box, either from a mk4GTI or a VR6 Golf not sure if you had an manual Passats here. You would need a 4 cyl 228mm flywheel from an ABF/2E etc and a VR6 clutch.

For brakes, you can stay with 4 stud and fit G60/Cupra 280mm discs. If you go to 5 stud and VR subframe, you can get 288s.

There is going to be some fabrication required for any conversion but there are companies about, like QPeng that have most of what you need off the shelf.

Have a look on vwvortex.com loads of info on this subject on there.

Gavin

Mischa
06-09-2008, 10:30 AM
pm sent :)

Golf Loon
07-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Update your location mate.

VR6 is easier to get a donor car in oz and its all plug and play. Yes subframes bolts straight in, you wont need a welder and wiring is possible using the factory loom easily.

1.8t will be awesome, but you will need more parts, than just a donor car. Id use an aftermarket loom and ecu, so you dont have to use the factory immobilizer, clocks and key etc. This adds to the cost tho.

Do it, we need more fast Mk2s

If you are not in oz, parts will be cheaper and easier ;)

jayjay
07-09-2008, 10:16 PM
if the car's k-jet the loom might not all be plug and play.

we need some photos of this mk2 jetta!!!!! i've never seen one in aus!! :o

the subframe swappage in a mk2 isn't actually that difficult, even if you change to a mk3 steering rack/column etc. in fact, i reckon it'd probably be easier than all of the electrical gremlins you'd face with a 20v 1.8 turbo. (i'm wiring retarded)

the 1.9tdi conversion is pretty much unknown here, but if i had the monies, i'd probably go for something like that. :)

peedman
07-09-2008, 11:32 PM
A full motor swap isnt as easy as it sounds but with the 1.8t ull have to make new mounts and sort out the wiring where as with the vr6 u could swap in the mk3 fuse box. If ur serious, a 1.8t would be the ducknuts but be prepared for alotta work! :)

Golf Loon
08-09-2008, 07:42 AM
If you use an early 1.8T, you need make no mounts, its all bolt on.
Easier into a Mk2 than a Mk1 ;)

Oli
08-09-2008, 09:35 AM
This would be good for you
It should be preaty much bolt on???

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=16976
PM sent
Cheers
Oli

smithy010
08-09-2008, 03:28 PM
deeeeeeeezel!

You know you want to. ;)

jdrose
27-09-2008, 09:29 PM
hey every1

here is a link to the pics of my car.
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=20205&page=2

i think that i have made up my mind on which motor i will put in it. should be happening early next year.

car is at the auto leccy @ the moment. so i should have it running by end on the week.

cheers rosie

tommymac
17-12-2008, 07:47 PM
well I am midway through a 1.8t and believe me its not easy! I guess its what you want to do - I bailed on the VR6 cos i thought it was too hard but are not finding the 1.8t that hard. Either way either one demands respect I mean if you can pull either off yourself you should be proud. Just be up for late nights long weekends and heaps of f'ing and blinding :duh::duh::):brutal:

DVR68U
17-12-2008, 08:06 PM
any conversion u do you'll have to know what you are doing, unless you wanna pay good money for someone else to build it. but if you like that sort of thing , like tommy(1.8t) and i(vr6) than go for it .
cheers brenton

jdrose
19-04-2009, 07:34 PM
well, i finally made up my mind on which engine im going use for my jetta. i picked up a donor car. now all im waiting on is the completion of my workshop, (which i am currently building). so by the end of the month i should have my jetta in the shed removing the engine and gearbox. :biggrin: