PDA

View Full Version : Perceptions of Octavia RS

mrgolf
04-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Having driven the aRSe on a mildly spirited drive through some familiar twisties, I have to say that I am impressed with its feel on the road. Having come out of a MkV GTI, I was expecting the aRSe to be a bit less involving. The jury is still out there, however, I am gobsmacked by the impression I got that it has less understeer than the GTI. Maybe its tyres, maybe its 18's vs 17's. It just seems to have more front end grip. Anyone else get this impression?

DubSteve
05-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Steve does this mean that you bought the car?

Guy_H
05-09-2008, 08:38 AM
I think the Rs Wagon understeers less than the GTI - mainly because of the extra weight out the back - have had it on the skidpan, when it comes around, it comes around quicker!

gregozedobe
05-09-2008, 09:40 AM
I can't comment on the understeer (I don't drive test cars that hard), but the RS definitely has a much more refined ride quality than a Golf GTI, which surprised me considering it has 18" wheels vs 17s on a GTI.

mrgolf
05-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Yep. Traded the GTI and a C'Line for an RS and no debt with a bigger mortgage and a child on the way in 12 weeks.

Wasnt a test drive.... although I was testing its dynamics... Impressed by its drive, not by its equipment or attention to detail. By GTI standards it is a bit low rent.

balkanac
05-09-2008, 04:27 PM
i think they are really nice, im yet to drive one. the only downside is that they use the same engine as the GTi golf. That would have been a really great car

SoVeReIgN
05-09-2008, 04:38 PM
i think they are really nice, im yet to drive one. the only downside is that they use the same engine as the GTi golf. That would have been a really great car

downside??

mrx
05-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Having owned both for a while now, I have to agree, I always thought it was just the Michelin tyres it comes with, but maybe there's more in it?

As for low a low rent GTI, everything about it feels more solidly put together than the GTI, it's not as pretty in terms of steering wheel etc., but if I had to sell one I'd still be driving a Skoda.

mrgolf
05-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Really? I loved the GTI. It is just a nicer place to be. Dislikes in the RS include:

green backlighting
steering wheel
ride height
No on/off switch for climate control
No on/off switch for dual zone
no backlit mirror on visor
no buttons on wheel
seats are a lot nicer in the GTI
no strut under the bonnet
no mute button on the stereo
no place for manual in glovebox
glovebox not lined
manual is in a crappy vinyl folder

I agree that it does feel very well put together. However, is yours a 4 door GTI? My 2 door had a few niggly rattles, but felt very nicely screwed together. I will compare the aRSe after a year of driving. Stereo seems quite good. MFD is cool and I like getting into the comfort settings. Its not all bad... Part of it might be the legend of the GTI. The heritage made GTI ownership pretty special for me. Mostly superfluous dislikes listed. At least it drives well... Ultimately more important.

Guy_H
05-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Hey Steve, I have to agree with MRX on this one (agree with you on the little things missing which I can do without) - but the fit, finish, feel & the materials are equal to or above the Golf.

The only one I really miss is the steering wheel controls & the 400hp. :)

brad
05-09-2008, 07:58 PM
glovebox not lined

On off switch is there - you just have to enable it
Dual zone, you just hold the button in
Do you mean no nitrogen filled strut?
One of the reasons I bought an Elegance was the steering wheel controls
Do you mean a "special place"? Mine fits in.
Hadn't noticed
Yeah - looks crap. My old Golf had a leather (look?) folder like a filofax

mrgolf
06-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Really? How do you enable it? And which button do you hold down? Is it the same as on the GTI?

Time will tell on fit and finish. I guess most of my comments stem from two things:
1. Heritage of the GTI badge brings a certain amount of fondness to me.
2. I only traded the GTI to get a more family oriented car. I loved my GTI a lot. It was my dream car.I dont think I was really ready to let it go.

I still reckon the 3dr German built GTI feels better than the 5dr SA built ones. Although mine did have a few irritating interior rattles. The Octavia must be built pretty well if it is to stay as highly regarded as it is in Europe.

Oh, and doors felt light and less solid when compared to GTI or comfortline doors. :)

brad
06-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Really? How do you enable it? And which button do you hold down? Is it the same as on the GTI?

I assume you mean something that turns the CC totally off? No fans, no nuthin?
The ON/OFF button is in upper half of the middle dial of the HVAC controls.
You just need to mod (http://www.octavia-vrs.com/technical/climatronic_off_button.htm) it. I haven't bothered yet as I never turn my fan off & just drive in ECO setting at this time of year.

no on/off switch for dual zone
I assume you mean making both readouts change simultaneously using the RH dial?
Hold the Auto button in for 2 seconds. Hold it again for 2 seconds to get individual L & R control.

I thought everyone here knew this stuff. Maybe I better start posting these tidbits. I didn't want to post old news.:frown:

Oh, and doors felt light and less solid when compared to GTI or comfortline doors. :)
Yeah? I had a Gen2 Subaru Liberty for 3 years before I inherited the Mk3.5Cabrio Golf. The Mk3.5 & the Skoda are built like tanks compared to the Liberty.

mrgolf
06-09-2008, 11:12 AM
They are very light compared to Golf doors on account of the hinges being so thin. Even the interior and exterior door pull mechanisms feel lightweight sompared to the seemingly over engineered feel of the Golf. Especially my 3dr GTI.

I didnt know about the on/off or dual thing cos I havent done any research on the car in regards to this as they have the same climate control as the GTI so I assumed they would be the same.

brad
06-09-2008, 11:36 AM
They are very light compared to Golf doors on account of the hinges being so thin. Even the interior and exterior door pull mechanisms feel lightweight sompared to the seemingly over engineered feel of the Golf. Especially my 3dr GTI.

But the Golf hasn't got the alignment tabs at the bottom of the door or the attachment bolts that slot into the hole in the hinge (making it stronger IMO). A mate with a GTI & I were comparing doors last Sunday (mmm..... must. get. a. life.)

Anyway, logic tells me that the Skoda can't exceed the VW in build or specification as it's the entry level/price leader.

mrx
06-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Really? I loved the GTI. It is just a nicer place to be. Dislikes in the RS include:

green backlighting
steering wheel
ride height
no backlit mirror on visor
no buttons on wheel
seats are a lot nicer in the GTI
glovebox not lined

I agree that it does feel very well put together. However, is yours a 4 door GTI? My 2 door had a few niggly rattles, but felt very nicely screwed together. I will compare the aRSe after a year of driving. Stereo seems quite good. MFD is cool and I like getting into the comfort settings. Its not all bad... Part of it might be the legend of the GTI. The heritage made GTI ownership pretty special for me. Mostly superfluous dislikes listed. At least it drives well... Ultimately more important.

I have noticed all the things mentioned in your list of dislikes, but I'm not really too fussed about most of them. Mine now rides exactly the same height as a GTI, due to some Eibach springs.

Re the seats, you definately do sit "on" the seats as opposed to "in" the GTI seats, but on long trips I find I have a sore lower back when in the golf but not in the Skoda - so they don't feel as comfortable but are obviously supporting in the right places.

Mine is the 4 door SA built GTI, I haven't had any rattles (I must be the only one). I still think my GTI is an excellent car and I wouldn't sell it unless I had to, but I really do like the Skoda too - it would be a tough decision.

mrgolf
08-09-2008, 11:13 AM
After touring the south coast on the w/end, I have to agree on the seats. No complaints regarding comfort. They are not as nice as the GTI seats, but better on long trips. I heart heated seating too. Glad I didnt give that up. And the in gear power of that engine is freaking awesome. Another good carry over.

Found another superfluous dislike: No red LED downlighting. :(

Timbo
08-09-2008, 11:34 AM
If you keep this up, you'll be trading the Octavia in on a Passat... :duh:

As they sang in the 70's: "Love the one you're with!"

mrgolf
08-09-2008, 01:04 PM
No. I will not own a Passat. Too big and not involving enough. Octavia is dynamically great, and thats probably more important. But I miss the little things.

Timbo
08-09-2008, 05:07 PM
^^^ This is a man with his first child on the way. By the time he is welcoming his third, he'll be sneering at anything smaller than a Hummer! j:

At that stage, you'll welcome 'uninvolving' in the form of soundproof glass between the front and the rear :biggrin:

mrgolf
08-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Partner and I are mid 30's. I reckon its a strong bet we will have only one. Any more and you have to buy a crap car... ;)

brad
09-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Partner and I are mid 30's. I reckon its a strong bet we will have only one. Any more and you have to buy a crap car... ;)
ROFL!
That's what my SWMBO said...... then she decided that #1 needed a playmate (also she had 'too much love" and #1 was being smothered). I'm really glad we have two kids - all the "only children" among our friends always appear to be "burdened" and slightly psychotic - also the mothers appear to be over-protective & nuerotic. Two kids don't cost much more than one.

mrgolf
09-09-2008, 03:23 PM
We will get no.1 out of the way and see how age goes. Might not be able to go #2.

brad
09-09-2008, 03:39 PM
We will get no.1 out of the way and see how age goes. Might not be able to go #2. swmbo was 35 with #1; almost 40 with #2 - no problems.

mrgolf
09-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Thats what Im afraid of... :)

Time will tell. All the same, as we are not tall people, a Skoda aRSe should accomodate us to 4.

brad
09-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Thats what Im afraid of... :)

Time will tell. All the same, as we are not tall people, a Skoda aRSe should accomodate us to 4.

That's where the bad news starts. The Skoda is my car. Since the tinlids came along she has had a VR Berlina, Falcon, Commodore S, Avensis Verso, another Avensis Verso, Holden Captiva Diesel & a Mitsubishi Outlander. Fantastic incentive for birth control:moonie:.

mrgolf
10-09-2008, 12:26 PM
The Skoda is our car. Once she goes back to work, a MkV GTI or Pogo GTI will be used as a runabout. Skoda is for the family. I didnt want to go outside the VAG group for a second car. The MkII is my spare car, and when it sells, I will probably go a Seat or MkIII Golf or early 90's Audi.