PDA

View Full Version : Oil filters - which & where

xcgumby
03-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm looking for a recommendation on oil filters (& suppliers) for a 2.8V6. Its only got 35 000 on it.

I've got a poxy ryco filter on at the moment - I was in a bit of a jam & needed one quickly. While it fits fine, its actually about half the diameter of the OEM. Obviously an option is to get a genuine one - for a one off I'm okay. But not as a permament solution.

The ryco filter is only staying on til the next oil change (5000km). Less if I get bored.

Transporter
03-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm looking for a recommendation on oil filters (& suppliers) for a 2.8V6. Its only got 35 000 on it.

I've got a poxy ryco filter on at the moment - I was in a bit of a jam & needed one quickly. While it fits fine, its actually about half the diameter of the OEM. Obviously an option is to get a genuine one - for a one off I'm okay. But not as a permament solution.

The ryco filter is only staying on til the next oil change (5000km). Less if I get bored.

Try Mann oil filter, it is probably the genuine one anyway.

MM

RedMk2Gti
04-09-2008, 08:29 AM
where are you mate, gumby ? without knowing your location its hard to help you.

As MRL_T5 said, Mann filter is the best.

vinderliker
04-09-2008, 09:45 AM
I use the Knect filter by Mahle

The_Hawk
04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Hengst is the OEM, Mahle or Mann are both perfectly fine alternatives, I use the Mahle myself. It has been reccommended many times that people avoid the Ryco filters.

Golf Houso
04-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Hengst is the OEM, Mahle or Mann are both perfectly fine alternatives, I use the Mahle myself. It has been reccommended many times that people avoid the Ryco filters.

On what basis? ... just asking not stirring or anything.

brad
04-09-2008, 01:07 PM
On what basis? ... just asking not stirring or anything.

I was wondering the same thing. So I used the search button:eek:

Apparently somebody did a test on one of the part numbers & the Ryco caused an 8psi pressure drop. Whether this presure drop is universal to all part numbers (I assume VW doesn't have a universal oil filter) I couldn't tell.

There was also a mention that on Mk1s the oil pressure was causing the internals of the Rycos to disintegrate.

NickZ
05-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I used a Ryco on my old Honda and never had a problem - engine had 200000km. Saying that, I would only use a german filter on a german car. No reason other than my own reasoning :)

But I would like to see if anyone on here has hard evidence why Ryco filters are no good, at least on VWs.

gtimk5
06-09-2008, 07:44 AM
I have been in the VW trade for 34 years, I have stated in the past my findings on Ryco on VWs a few times before. Checking oil pressures with different filters ect.
Hey, a Mann or Hengst filter is around the same price as a Ryco but if you want to use one of them, go for it. I know, for peace of mind and providing a warrantee on my work, I will always use good filters, (German) and good oil.
Its personal preference and peace of mind.
Up to you guys as to what you like to use, same with oil.....
Cheers, Andrew :)

VW VR6
06-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Ask Tim "dubaddiction" hi has one for VR6 for around $15 "MAHLE" very good price and brand.

Oneofthegreats
06-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I used a Ryco on my old Honda and never had a problem - engine had 200000km. Saying that, I would only use a german filter on a german car. No reason other than my own reasoning :)

But I would like to see if anyone on here has hard evidence why Ryco filters are no good, at least on VWs.

I've had two friend's with mk1's running "rarelyholdoil"ryco's & blew them to bit's.

Why. Cause ryco are only good on holden's & ford's, the other.

VW mk1's (I don't know about other model's) run at twice the oil pressure than any other car I know of.

That's why most oil pressure guages (if the correct one is fitted as most people fit a 0-500kpa!) are 0-1000 kpa & when cold with rev's can max out the guage.

That's 142psi cold! Ryco's just can't take that much pressure.

NickZ
06-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I have been in the VW trade for 34 years, I have stated in the past my findings on Ryco on VWs a few times before. Checking oil pressures with different filters ect.
Hey, a Mann or Hengst filter is around the same price as a Ryco but if you want to use one of them, go for it. I know, for peace of mind and providing a warrantee on my work, I will always use good filters, (German) and good oil.
Its personal preference and peace of mind.
Up to you guys as to what you like to use, same with oil.....
Cheers, Andrew :)

I've had two friend's with mk1's running "rarelyholdoil"ryco's & blew them to bit's.

Why. Cause ryco are only good on holden's & ford's, the other.

VW mk1's (I don't know about other model's) run at twice the oil pressure than any other car I know of.

That's why most oil pressure guages (if the correct one is fitted as most people fit a 0-500kpa!) are 0-1000 kpa & when cold with rev's can max out the guage.

That's 142psi cold! Ryco's just can't take that much pressure.

Sweet. Good to see people's personal experiences, so when someone asks me why not to use a Ryco on a german car, I can convince them properly :)

Trust me, I am fussy with what goes in my cars and treating them well. Hell, a VW oil filter sets me back $18 which is not a huge cost difference from the Rycos, especially when the oil costs four times that amount :eek:

xcgumby
08-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I managed to find what I was looking for at Euro Auto Wreckers/AVC at Toombul Rd Northgate (Brisbane). Mann filters at $16.50 ea - I bought 2.

I lost bugger all oil when I swapped out the Ryco - jacked the car on one side only.

It says on the filter its good for 20 000km or 2 years. I'm unlikely to go that long - I usually change the filter every second oil change (about 5 to 7000kms).

Thanks for the advice on Ryco. I use Ryco filters on my astra but its got a filter cartridge like some BMWs & Mercs. Not quite the size & weight difference as evident comparing the Mann & Ryco for the passat.

No457 Snowy
08-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Just get an OEM VW filter, it's not like they're so super expensive ($18.00) as to be cost prohibitive. :duh:

Snowy

paulie71
05-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Sweet. Good to see people's personal experiences, so when someone asks me why not to use a Ryco on a german car, I can convince them properly :)

Trust me, I am fussy with what goes in my cars and treating them well. Hell, a VW oil filter sets me back $18 which is not a huge cost difference from the Rycos, especially when the oil costs four times that amount :eek:

Hi all.

I just replaced my Ryco filter with another Ryco on my Mk1 Cabriolet and am somewhat surprised at the poor performance a number of you have experienced using a Ryco filter.

I live in Brisbane and travel daily with my cabby on the M1 at 110km/h+ and in peak hour and have had no problems. The only problem I have/had was some muppet removed the guts from my thermostat and this caused inconsistent coolant temp issues.

Really unless you don't change your oil religiously and/or you flog the guts out of your car repeatedly, I can't see a problem with the Ryco filter.

Again that's what choice is all about and if I had time I might get a german filter.

gtimk5
05-10-2008, 05:06 PM
As I said mate, Up to you choice and convenience wise.
I am very fussy with what I use on mine and customers VWs.
Once again, same with peoples choice of oils.
Experience is experience and if the Ryco is going well for you, stick with it..
Andrew :)

gerhard
05-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Interesting.

I have used Ryco on the Jackaroo since warranty stopped, except on one occasion when I used a Valvoline filter. I have had no problems with Valvoline oils, the VL I had lived for 250,000ks on it and was perfect on compression when Mr 17 took it over and valve bounced it for another 30,000ks.

But the Valvoline filter - pure rubbish, the anti-return did not work properly, causing rattling on startup - that thing lasted less than 500ks and was replaced with a Ryco. Other products that the Jackaroo hated were Mobil 1 and Magnatec oils - with both oils the engine rattled, and with Mobil 1 it burned oil like no tomorrow as well.

I'm sure, though, that many others will swear by Mobil 1, and Magnatec, and maybe Valvoline filters too. (Although Supercheap has now abandoned Valvoline filters in favour of Ryco ????? wonder why.)

I don't believe for one minute that Ryco engineers don't know that a MK1 has double the common oil pressure, but I don't have insider knowledge about how the company is run and how the filters are specified and built. I'd be very surprised if they weren't alarmed to discover their stuff was crap in a particular situation, and fix it.

Having said all that, my GTI will get the genuine filter because there is no advantage in using anything else.