PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust gas recirculation should be burnt!

mollins
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
In my opinion the stupidest thing vw have done on a diesel.

basically they pump exhaust gas back through the intake to take care of the unburned soot. does the job the DPF does on new TDI's.

kinda like drinking your own piss really.

this is why

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/09/DSCF1393-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/09/DSCF1394-1.jpg

looks like the anti smoking campaign ads..

SOOOOOOO.....

I tried to clean out my intake manifold (pictured above) with a screwdriver, but i got tired of that. So i decided it would be much more fun to burn it off!!

so we did

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/09/DSCF1395-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/09/DSCF1396-1.jpg

this got rid of the oily sludge and left just flaky carbon cakes. This just flaked off and fell out when I tapped the manifold on the ground.

I'm gonna clean the manifold right up with the dremel, and give you some updated pics when im done.

ranton-inc
01-09-2008, 01:16 PM
yuk!

why not blank off the EGR piping and disregard it completly?
good way to gain a few Horsies

mollins
01-09-2008, 01:34 PM
why not blank off the EGR piping and disregard it completly?

will be doing this for sure!!!

gonna put a EGT sensor in the hole instead! :D

smithy010
01-09-2008, 03:15 PM
I'd do that on the pug too, but the turbo is such a pain in the arse to get to..

gldgti
01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
I'd do that on the pug too, but the turbo is such a pain in the arse to get to..

c'mon, wheres your gumption?

nayfen
01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
this is one way to clean the buildup a bit quicker?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oet4qWeZuYA&feature=related

mollins
01-09-2008, 08:47 PM
would have used an air compressor, except we didnt have one handy! we just blew in the inlet pipe until we were dizzy

smithy010
02-09-2008, 08:39 AM
I can imagine..

Who needs drugs when you can blow in a manifold..

smithy010
02-09-2008, 08:42 AM
c'mon, wheres your gumption?

That is a really cool word..

My gumption is considering where to put my new vege garden.. And not wanting to play with my 300 000km old pug too much in case it falls into a million pieces..

Greg Roles
02-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Love the "lets use fire" concept of mechanical repair.

This is one area where you "mechanical" types wish you had a computer, as the 1.9 TDI guys in the USA just VAG COM the exhaust gas recirculation down to practically zero.

Recirculation of exhaust gas keeps combustion temps down, and also lowers the emission of Nitrogen if I recall correctly. You turbo tweakers would want to thank this system for keeping your turbo cooler, and possibly operational, albeit at the expense of some HP.

Read and be warned MK V'ers, it's a matter of time with the amount of oil blowby into the inlet, hence my PROVENT : )

mollins
02-09-2008, 04:15 PM
This is one area where you "mechanical" types wish you had a computer, as the 1.9 TDI guys in the USA just VAG COM the exhaust gas recirculation down to practically zero.

a blanking plate works also :D

Recirculation of exhaust gas keeps combustion temps down, and also lowers the emission of Nitrogen if I recall correctly.

could you explain how it keeps temps down. intuitively i would think it would be putting hot air into the chamber making temps higher?? Nitrogen reduction is understandable of course.

Read and be warned MK V'ers, it's a matter of time with the amount of oil blowby into the inlet, hence my PROVENT : )

hear hear. the carbon itself isnt a problem as it will flake off as it does in exhausts, but its the oil that catches the soot and makes the sludge coating

oil catchers all the way

gldgti
02-09-2008, 07:22 PM
That is a really cool word..

My gumption is considering where to put my new vege garden.. And not wanting to play with my 300 000km old pug too much in case it falls into a million pieces..

i cant argue with that. good work mate :-D

gldgti
02-09-2008, 07:24 PM

Recirculation of exhaust gas keeps combustion temps down, and also lowers the emission of Nitrogen if I recall correctly. You turbo tweakers would want to thank this system for keeping your turbo cooler, and possibly operational, albeit at the expense of some HP.

please explain to me how EGR keeps combustion temps down.

thanks

Mischa
02-09-2008, 07:33 PM
please explain to me how EGR keeps combustion temps down.

thanks

i would also like to know

Greg Roles
02-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Guys, I'm just rehashing what VW say in the 125kw engine training manual I downloaded from Erwin. Here's the guff:

Task of EGR:

The objective is to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions. This happens because:

1. Less Oxygen is available for combustion due to the recirculated exhaust gas,
2. The combustion speed and therefore increase in temperature are reduced by the exhaust gas that is introduced.

Remember that, in the later diesels at least, the exhaust goes via a cooler first.

But yeah, I too struggle with the idea of going to the trouble of intercooling the charge air, only to add hot exhaust gas post intercooler!

gldgti
03-09-2008, 06:41 AM
i think its a load of baloney TBH. you put in some exhaust gas to replace the nice oxygen rich charge air that you go to all the work of comrpessing and cooling - so you reduce the efficiency of the cycle as a whole, but your instantaneous nitrous emissions are decreased a bit - whoopy doo.

i cant get over the amount of nonsense that goes on with emission control.

just make the engine as high performing and efficient as possible, then REDUCE the capacity as much as you can!

bluey
30-09-2008, 05:17 PM

This is one area where you "mechanical" types wish you had a computer, as the 1.9 TDI guys in the USA just VAG COM the exhaust gas recirculation down to practically zero.[...]

This FAQ mentioned using VAG COM to up the air supply to prevent this problem, because EGR is otherwise important for NOX and temperature control.
http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/

But how do we know VW hasn't already fixed it???

gldgti
30-09-2008, 07:14 PM
hmmm. i now have DATA about EGT's.

a post in my power quest thread soon boys and girls ;-)