PDA

View Full Version : hi! new member

andy_gti
25-08-2008, 08:36 PM
hi all,

just thought it was time to introduce myself and thank everyone on the forum. i own a black 2001 MKIV gti and have found the information on here very useful. i've always liked golfs and now i own one, i know why :).

purchased it last september and resisted the urge to modify it until recently. had the APR chip upgrade done about 10 days ago. apart from that, it's stock. performance wise anyway. strereo wise, pioneer 7" six disc dvd player, focal splits front and rear, amp and 12" sub.

i haven't posted any pics. you all know what a black gti looks like, well that's exactly what mine looks like, only dirty. i'm sure i'll get some pics up when it's clean and hopefully with some new rims and a nicer ride height.

anyway, thanks again :)

andy.

Treza360
25-08-2008, 08:42 PM
hi all,
just thought it was time to introduce myself and thank everyone on the forum. i own a black 2001 MKIV gti and have found the information on here very useful. i've always liked golfs and now i own one, i know why :).
purchased it last september and resisted the urge to modify it until recently. had the APR chip upgrade done about 10 days ago. apart from that, it's stock. performance wise anyway. strereo wise, pioneer 7" six disc dvd player, focal splits front and rear, amp and 12" sub.
i haven't posted any pics. you all know what a black gti looks like, well that's exactly what mine looks like, only dirty. i'm sure i'll get some pics up when it's clean and hopefully with some new rims and a nicer ride height.
anyway, thanks again :)
andy.
Welcome to the forums Andy. Good to see more and more dubbers arriving everyday. I got my R last September as well. A year in and I've definitely got no regrets.
One big point though...
:pics:
Trust me mate and I say this on behalf of everyone here, you can never have seen enough photos.
Wack em up so we can see the before and after as well (for when you do the rims and suspension).
Cheers,
Trent :)

andy_gti
25-08-2008, 08:50 PM
lol!!!

yes, you are right. i apologise profusely!!!

i actually don't have 1 photo of my car. i know, terrible isn't it.

i'll do it tomorrow, i promise.

No457 Snowy
25-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the forums Andy and congrats on a great car. Like Trent said we don't care if it's stock or modded, we like looking at pics of any and all VW's. :)
How are you liking your APR ECU upgrade? :driver:

Cheers,

Snowy. :)

EVN-88G
25-08-2008, 10:46 PM
had the APR chip upgrade done about 10 days ago

andy.

Welcome to the forum mate! I am also interested on how the chip upgrade has influenced the performance? and how much it cost all up?

cant wait to see the pics, even if it is a mirror of my car, i cant stop looking at my car :P

Cheers, Evan.

andy_gti
25-08-2008, 11:01 PM
thanks for the welcome guys. pics tomorrow, i promise.

to be honest, i wasn't that impressed with the chip initially. i think my expectations were too high. it's definately nicer to drive, better throttle response and turbo does spool up a little earlier. i'm sure once i improve intake and exhaust then i'll start to see the benefits of the chip. i forgot to mention before that i also had the dogbone replaced with the APR ones. that mod i was impressed with.

the price on the APR website for the chip upgrade is $1490.00. that's what i payed !!! ouch:)

Mrk_Mickey
25-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Welcome aboard Andy!

Sounds like you did the best mod first - make it go harder! :nana: hehe.

Suspension and wheels are a good place to steer next, especially since golfs are ALWAYS too high as stock :)

I'd like to see pics of your car too:D they're all unique in some way!

andy_gti
25-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Welcome aboard Andy!

Sounds like you did the best mod first - make it go harder! :nana: hehe.

Suspension and wheels are a good place to steer next, especially since golfs are ALWAYS too high as stock :)

I'd like to see pics of your car too:D they're all unique in some way!

thanks mate. i'm very keen on rims and suspension. actually found some rims i really like but they are 5x112, so need to keep looking.

got offered a set of KW V1's and i've been trying to find out what people think of them, but everyone seems to have V2's or V3's. so...

anyone got them (V1's) or been for a ride in a mk4 with them, i would appreciate any info.

thanks,
a.

andy_gti
25-08-2008, 11:20 PM
here's a link to the rims i really, really wanted. i think they would look great on a mk4...

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=1145

DaveMack
25-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Welcome aboard, Andy. I'll just slide this post into Newbies corner ... that way the whole forum can become aware of your presence.

Enjoy the forum.

Dave

andy_gti
25-08-2008, 11:52 PM
thanks dave.

fuzion
26-08-2008, 12:04 AM
welcome aboard andy!

still waiting on those pics! haha .. congrats on the chip, im sure you'll notice some severe power increase on the car now! :)

ps. make sure you dont end up with wanli, linlong, or nankang tyres when you buy those.. you'll just be putting yourself backwards with handling! nice choice for wheels tho!

andy_gti
26-08-2008, 12:11 AM
welcome aboard andy!

still waiting on those pics! haha .. congrats on the chip, im sure you'll notice some severe power increase on the car now! :)

ps. make sure you dont end up with wanli, linlong, or nankang tyres when you buy those.. you'll just be putting yourself backwards with handling! nice choice for wheels tho!

lol!!! yep, i can feel it alright. especially on those chilly canberra nights:)

thanks for the tip. i have dunlop sport 3000A's on the car now and i'm impressed with them. so, i definately don't want to be going backwards.

dubbed
26-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Welcome again! I'm looking at the APR chip in the future so any more details about your experience would be great. I'm also interested to hear about the difference the dogbone mounts made.

And don't forget the pics :)

TSi2NV
26-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Welcome aborad let the dub be with you and all you modifiying go to plan
:pics:

andy_gti
26-08-2008, 03:47 PM
photos...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/08/DSC01349-2.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/08/DSC01350-2.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/08/DSC01351-1.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/08/DSC01352-1.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/08/DSC01344-1.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/08/DSC01348-2.jpg[/IMG]

andy_gti
26-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Welcome again! I'm looking at the APR chip in the future so any more details about your experience would be great. I'm also interested to hear about the difference the dogbone mounts made.

And don't forget the pics :)

thanks for the welcome.

i'm liking the chip more and more every day. it's very smooth and the car is certainly more fun to drive. i would have liked to experienced all the companies on offer but that was just not practical for me. because my car is not drive by wire i couldn't get the trial. in the end it came down to this,

1. there is an APR installer 2 minutes from my home
2. i had it done while i was at the snow for a week, which was convenient because of the 3 day turn around. a whole week of fun then came home to more fun :)
3. i knew that whatever company i went with, it would be better than stock

cheers,
andy.

fuzion
26-08-2008, 04:20 PM
andy! look good mate!

ill be down in canberra again for the autofest, you better come along dude!

andy_gti
26-08-2008, 05:54 PM
andy! look good mate!

ill be down in canberra again for the autofest, you better come along dude!

thanks. i'll be there for sure!