PDA

View Full Version : I scored a Tiquan deal thread

sefu
23-08-2008, 01:57 PM
I thought we need to start a thread to see what kind of deals, if any, people are getting for the tiquan? Yes I'm aware theres a wait.

Model:
Price:
Dealer/Location:
Options:

Tigga1
20-10-2008, 08:27 AM
I thought we need to start a thread to see what kind of deals, if any, people are getting for the tiquan? Yes I'm aware theres a wait.

Model:
Price:
Dealer/Location:
Options:

I guess there's not too many deals out there, sefu...although I think Chatswood CC has a few to many cataline blue ones they might like to move on....

Tigga1
29-10-2008, 10:02 AM

Model: 125TSI auto (Silver Leaf)
Price: 44K
Dealer/Location: north qld
Options: comfort package, pano sunroof, rubbermats x 4, boot liner, window tinting (incl. roof), headlight protectors.

would have got bonnet protector, but apparently none in Australia...

no wait, just happened to come into stock (first petrol one), drove it last Saturday, settled on trade/accesories yesterday.

not a fantastic deal, but am happy with the trade, options and accessories on the new one. And, above all, no wait!
in fact, if I'd ordered one to spec, sales manager said likely to be 12 mth wait...

oh, taking deliver this Saturday

Sharkie
29-10-2008, 10:31 AM
oh, taking deliver this Saturday

Manual ? Auto ? Colour?

Time to start harrassing APR about that ECU upgrade........

Tigga1
29-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Manual ? Auto ? Colour?

Time to start harrassing APR about that ECU upgrade........

how remiss of me
Silver Leaf and auto.

love the colour, was already my first choice, so when dealer said he just got a Silver Leaf in stock i was already half there...

auto is good, very smooth and quiet, probably would have preferred manual (just for a change), but auto is good:)

Sharkie
29-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Very nice, its a great colour and really suits the Tiguan.

What dealer delivery did they hit you with? I've heard as high as $3500 just for that.

Tigga1
29-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Very nice, its a great colour and really suits the Tiguan.

What dealer delivery did they hit you with? I've heard as high as $3500 just for that.

2500...so I guess the 1323 discount for accessories etc comes from here....

still, not complaining, sales manager drove 350k on a Saturday morning to come and show me the car.

TonyTA
11-01-2009, 09:49 PM

Model:
Price:
Dealer/Location:
Options:

Sounds like the wait is not as bad as it was...
so what kind of deals are people getting?

clip
12-01-2009, 07:08 PM

I tried heaps of dealers and couldn't get any of them to budge! Best I could do was a couple of free services! Full retail, plus a ridiculous dealer delivery cost! I normally pay around $400- $1000, the T is costing me over $3000!

TonyTA
12-01-2009, 08:53 PM

I tried heaps of dealers and couldn't get any of them to budge! Best I could do was a couple of free services! Full retail, plus a ridiculous dealer delivery cost! I normally pay around $400- $1000, the T is costing me over $3000!
When did you go looking?

I'm wondering if there is a timing thing here (i.e. when a new ship comes in loaded with Tiggies)?

clip
13-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I had to order mine as I wanted the 125 manual with some options. Ordered end of November for March delivery.

TonyTA
13-01-2009, 08:41 PM
I had to order mine as I wanted the 125 manual with some options. Ordered end of November for March delivery.
We are considering TDI auto and with just a couple of calls over last few days got offered some pretty reasonable deals. All on road (to be very clear, don't want to fall for that old one).
Did I miss something?

NZTiguan
14-01-2009, 05:32 AM
We are considering TDI auto and with just a couple of calls over last few days got offered some pretty reasonable deals. All on road (to be very clear, don't want to fall for that old one).
Did I miss something?

I suspect it's a very good time to buy anything that's already "in stock" as it looks as if price rises of up to 10% may be on their way (certainly in NZ and I suspect the Ausi dollar hasn't done much better than the Kiwi lately).

Cheers

TonyTA
14-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I suspect it's a very good time to buy anything that's already "in stock" as it looks as if price rises of up to 10% may be on their way (certainly in NZ and I suspect the Ausi dollar hasn't done much better than the Kiwi lately).

Good point.
Even the price of imported beer has gone up over here!
:)

Todd
15-01-2009, 08:03 PM
I just did an enquiry on a 125 Tiguan with heaps of options at Denlo VW in Sydney.
They said next scheduled production is Week12 (March) and add 10 weeks to that to get here. I would be very surprised if you actually got to drive away before July...and they didn't have any petrol Tiguans to test drive....
Anyone know if any Petrol models are in Sydney to test drive?

TonyTA
15-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah, seems to me that TDI are easier to get a hold of than TSI right now.
I think I remember speaking to one dealer in either SEQ or Sydney basin area this week who had a petrol demo, but can't find it in my notes likely cause I'm looking for a TDI).
If I find one, I'll let you know.

TonyTA
18-01-2009, 09:05 PM
I just did an enquiry on a 125 Tiguan with heaps of options at Denlo VW in Sydney.
They said next scheduled production is Week12 (March) and add 10 weeks to that to get here. I would be very surprised if you actually got to drive away before July...
Anyone got any more info, or links to data on Tiguan production?

I've called over half a dozen dealers in SEQ and NSW the last week and all had stock of new TDI's. Several had half a dozen or more, plus demonstrators for sale and spouted about having more vehicles arriving over the next few weeks.

I'd like to understand the ebb and flow of upcoming supply so that if I end up ordering a specific colour and specific options, I've got some real idea of when it might arrive.

NZTiguan
19-01-2009, 05:35 AM
Anyone got any more info, or links to data on Tiguan production?

The only people with accurate information (as far as it goes) are the dealers. I'm sure it's the same there as in NZ where you can sit down with the dealer at the computer and "see" all the Tigs that have been produced and are on their way to a particular country. It will show if they are sold or not, who they are allocated too, and exactly what options are on them.

That's how I got mine, sorted through all that was on its way, found the best compromise I could and then the dealer did a "deal" with the NZ dealer it was destined for by swapping one that was intended for him. So, I then even had the VIN number for my Tig which was sitting in Germany awaiting dispatch at the time.

You won't get any guaranteed info on stock that hasn't been produced though as they're so far behind on orders. Some people have been told a couple of months and waited up to a year !!!

So, my best advice is to sit with a good dealer and see what's already in the country and what's on its way and do a deal on a car that's already been built. That way you get as close as you can to what you what but are guaranteed it exists and at what price and delivery date !!

Cheers

Sharkie
19-01-2009, 06:45 AM
If anybody can hold on and not buy for about 3 months, better supply should really be starting to flow through and better deals should be coming around.

Demand for right-hand drive Tiguans around the world have dropped significantly and VW Oz has been able to more than double their allocation. This means that significant numbers of all the models should be hitting our ports in the next 3 months.

Since I am no hurry, I will wait for enough to be standing around to make a good choice. By then the Audi Q5 will be out as well (end April) and I can make a good comparative decision. The Q5 will be better in every way but also cost at least $25K more :frown:

Obviously if you have 1 built to exact specifications, you will still have to wait ..... :)

NZTiguan
19-01-2009, 08:40 AM
By then the Audi Q5 will be out as well (end April) and I can make a good comparative decision. The Q5 will be better in every way but also cost at least $25K more :frown:

Q5 is coming here soon and the base model is nearly NZ $30,000 dearer than the Tig which is over 50% !!!!!!! Great vehicle BUT absolutely no good for any off-road work with a very low nose so it would be the Tig for me every time. Q5 is VERY impressive though and I guess if you took a fully loaded Tig as a comparison it would be more like 30% dearer, still a lot of dosh though and the big diesel (think it's 3 litre) is an EXTRA NZ$20000 which pushes it up to BMWX5 prices, mind you I'd much rather own a Q5 than an X5 !! Really not competition for the Tig though.

Cheers

Sharkie
19-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Base Q5 in Australia apparently will have at least the following:

new gen 2.0TFSI - 155kw/350NM
7 speed DSG
Leather
19" Alloys
Cd Changer
Torsen permanent AWD 40:60 split F:R
Priced at about $62K

This actually compares favourably with the top spec Tiguan .....
$43K
6 speed tiptronic
old gen 2.0TFSI 147kw/280NM
17" Alloys
Leather $3.7K
CD Changer $850
4Motion part time 4WD - 90:10 split F:R
So, 43000+3700+850 = $48K and thats less than $15K AUD difference .... makes it a really attractive proposition.....

Yes, it will be pretty useless ofroad, but for that I have a 4WD DualCab ute ....:)

NZTiguan
19-01-2009, 09:38 AM
CD Changer $850
4Motion part time 4WD - 90:10 split F:R
So, 43000+3700+850 = $48K and thats less than $15K AUD difference .... makes it a really attractive proposition.....

Yes I agree that's not a bad deal, in NZ from what I can gather we're only getting diesels (same as Tig) which makes the difference a bit greater as well. Still, if I had the bucks AND didn't need some off-road capabilities I'd love a Q5 !!

Cheers

TonyTA
19-01-2009, 06:41 PM
The only people with accurate information (as far as it goes) are the dealers. I'm sure it's the same there as in NZ where you can sit down with the dealer at the computer and "see" all the Tigs that have been produced and are on their way to a particular country. It will show if they are sold or not, who they are allocated too, and exactly what options are on them.

That's how I got mine, sorted through all that was on its way, found the best compromise I could and then the dealer did a "deal" with the NZ dealer it was destined for by swapping one that was intended for him. So, I then even had the VIN number for my Tig which was sitting in Germany awaiting dispatch at the time.

You won't get any guaranteed info on stock that hasn't been produced though as they're so far behind on orders. Some people have been told a couple of months and waited up to a year !!!

So, my best advice is to sit with a good dealer and see what's already in the country and what's on its way and do a deal on a car that's already been built. That way you get as close as you can to what you what but are guaranteed it exists and at what price and delivery date !!

Good idea.

Did you negotiate a price up front for the various options you were looking for:
i.e. I'll pay $x for black Tig with Auto and sunroof?
Or $y for Red Tig with Auto, fog lights and sunroof?

Or did you wait until you found the Tig you wanted and negotiate price after that?

NZTiguan
20-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Good idea.

Did you negotiate a price up front for the various options you were looking for:
i.e. I'll pay $x for black Tig with Auto and sunroof?
Or $y for Red Tig with Auto, fog lights and sunroof?

Or did you wait until you found the Tig you wanted and negotiate price after that?

At the time I got mine there was no negotiation available as they were very hard to get (mine was one of the first shipment into NZ), the dealers could sell all they could get their hands on and it was just a matter of "first in best Tig". Even now it's hard to get much of a deal as there's so many back-orders world wide. Guess that'll change over time BUT then the monetary situation will see price rises coming through so one will balance out the other. I think the best chance for a "deal" would be to purchase one of the models that's least wanted and so harder to sell but usually they're the poorly equipped ones that you wouldn't want anyway. I'd have to say I'm more than happy with what I paid for my Tig cos it's just so much better than any of the opposition (at least here in NZ) and the few extra dollars were "well spent" in my opinion.

Cheers

echo_base
20-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm very close to buying a 125TSI auto here in WA. Skipper VW have told me that there is a shipment coming to Australia in May and, just so long as the model I order isn't too idiosyncratic, I should get delivery then.

I'm pretty much going to take the car 'as is', so hopefully I'll be able to get one in black.

Interestingly, the dealer delivery they quoted a few weeks ago was $2495, which is significantly below what some others have been talking about recently. No deals, though, it seems.

Does anyone know if going to an auto broker would result in something more reasonable?

clip
21-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Does anyone know if going to an auto broker would result in something more reasonable?
not in my experience. My broker has always got great deals for me in the past (in fact huge savings), but not with the TIG. In fact, I got an ever so slightly better deal doing the negotiation myself directly with the dealer (seems a pretty sincere guy to be honest - but then?). Anyway, he did seem sympathetic, but explained it that:
1. they were in big demand, and
2. VW was screwing them down on margins to keep the RRP price low to compete with the Japs and then telling them to jack up their dealer deliver costs to give them some more margin (this does seem realistic and understandable to me - but then I'm naive when it comes to car sales industry)

I don't know who/what to believe really. Good luck getting a deal. Maybe if the market really starts to hurt here in AUS over the next few months, as it's done overseas recently, then you'll pick up a bargain. Then again, the price may go up with exchange rates etc. Who knows? I give up trying to work out the markets - might as well just have another beer and wait :drinkbeer:

Sharkie
22-01-2009, 08:54 AM
I am still keen on a manual Tiggy, but not willing to pay the high dealer delivery costs atm. Luckily I'm not in a hurry and am more than comfortable in waiting untill the demand and supply issues sort themselves out.

I'll give it untill June to see what is in stock around the country and then seriously negotiate ..... :biggrin: end of FY and all ....

I expect then to be able to do a deal for pretty much RRP ... (drive-away including dealer delivery)

Time and patience is your friend when dealing with the stealers ......:)

NZTiguan
22-01-2009, 11:03 AM
I am still keen on a manual Tiggy, but not willing to pay the high dealer delivery costs atm. Luckily I'm not in a hurry and am more than comfortable in waiting untill the demand and supply issues sort themselves out.

I'll give it untill June to see what is in stock around the country and then seriously negotiate ..... :biggrin: end of FY and all ....

I expect then to be able to do a deal for pretty much RRP ... (drive-away including dealer delivery)

Time and patience is your friend when dealing with the stealers ......:)

Enjoy your wait, hope it woks for you BUT I'd rather be driving my Tig thanks !!!

Cheers

TonyTA
22-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Luckily I'm not in a hurry and am more than comfortable in waiting untill the demand and supply issues sort themselves out.

Plus, you will be dealing purely with 2009 build's. None of these 08 models still floating around everywhere.

I've had a few dealers try to tell me they can't negotiate on an new Tiguan (same b/s excuse - it's all VWA's fauly), yet when you ask them they tell you the car they are selling you has an 08 build plate.

I'm sure that if you bought the Tiguan from them, parked it in their lot overnight and came back the next day they would be the first to quote you the red book value:
http://www.redbook.com.au/:brutal:

At least Subaru are offering 'demonstrator deals' to protect the resale value while also moving left over 2008 build Foresters: http://www.subaru.com.au/quicklinks/current-offers/all-star-driveaway/.

clip
22-01-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm sure that if you bought the Tiguan from them, parked it in their lot overnight and came back the next day they would be the first to quote you the red book value:
:eek: holy ****! $13,000 loss on a 147 as soon as you drive it off the lot! And I thought Alfa's were bad! Why has everyone told me that VW's keep their resale? I think I'll cancel my order and buy a Ssanyong! Can't be any worse - then again, I could buy a Forester and loose the same $ amount but greater percentage loss.

idaho
23-01-2009, 01:31 AM
:eek: holy ****! $13,000 loss on a 147 as soon as you drive it off the lot! And I thought Alfa's were bad!
And that isn't including the loss of Dealer Delivery and On-Road costs. What also staggers me is how the big $ options absolutely blow the price sky high. I think you would be lucky to get half the cost of the options back at trade-in. I read a journo test drive recently where there was $18000 worth of options fitted to the test Tiguan.

When I priced a 147TSI they seemed somewhat miffed that I only wanted options that came to $2600 (metallic, alarm, Off-road, Park assist). But as it would have been a non guaranteed 9 month wait and there was no deal for delivery that was where I stopped.

I think I could outwait Sharkie. Whoever coined the statement that you should only buy the cheapest car your ego can afford should have included a clause about value for money. Or maybe it means my ego is actually cheaper than I think. :eek:

clip
23-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Whoever coined the statement that you should only buy the cheapest car your ego can afford should have included a clause about value for money. Or maybe it means my ego is actually cheaper than I think. :eek:
:rolllaugh: I'm sure mine is too :)

Sharkie
13-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Base Q5 in Australia apparently will have at least the following:

new gen 2.0TFSI - 155kw/350NM
7 speed DSG
Leather
19" Alloys
Cd Changer
Torsen permanent AWD 40:60 split F:R
Priced at about $62K

Update .... Audi released pricing .....

2.0TFSI (155kw/350NM) with 7 speed DSG = $59900 ...
2.0 TDI (125kw/350NM) with 7 speed DSG = $59900 ...

More importantly bootspace is 560l compare to 395l in the Tiguan

I'm very tempted to get to Melbourne at then end of the month to see it at the motorshow.

echo_base
15-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Does anyone know if the long-awaited new supply of Tigs has arrived yet? There's been a few 125TSIs pop-up over here in the West, but nothing like the flood that the dealer told me was coming in May...

clip
15-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Does anyone know if the long-awaited new supply of Tigs has arrived yet? There's been a few 125TSIs pop-up over here in the West, but nothing like the flood that the dealer told me was coming in May...
posted yesterday:

I popped in to the local VW dealer at Mascot and asked if I could have a poke around their storage area, where they had around 30 Tiguans in a pre-delivery state. It looked like they came straight off the boat with all the protective cladding they had on.

TonyTA
16-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know if the long-awaited new supply of Tigs has arrived yet?
I read a post about 1100 or so being delivered last month.
There were definitely quite a few TDI's arrive in SEQ about 3 weeks ago. I know several dealers got stock delivered.
I know some SYD dealers who also scored stock around that time also.
But there are other dealers in QLD still waiting for stock to arrive.

Sharkie
02-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Just a FYI .....

Since Feb Tiguans have been able to get fleet discount applied to them .... :)

I'm sorry for you guys that have already bought but for all prospective owners this is $2K off RRP straight up.

NZTiguan
02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Just a FYI .....

I'm sorry for you guys that have already bought but for all prospective owners this is $2K off RRP straight up.

Don't feel sorry for US, we're driving our Tigs and enjoying every moment (and in my case I have been for 8 months now !!!!) :nana:

brh1978
02-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Just a FYI .....

My Tigs due in about 5 weeks, the dealer called last week to say he would like to redo the quote as he can now offer fleet discount (as I am leasing the car). Basically you get $2000 off inc gst and they drop delivery to $990 (which for me was an increase in delivery), at least the handover figure works out cheaper! Not long to go now :)

clip
02-03-2009, 05:49 PM
screwed again!!! That would have paid for the remap!

Todd
08-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I read a post about 1100 or so being delivered last month.
There were definitely quite a few TDI's arrive in SEQ about 3 weeks ago. I know several dealers got stock delivered.
I know some SYD dealers who also scored stock around that time also.
But there are other dealers in QLD still waiting for stock to arrive.
I was in a VW dealer today (Hornsby) & I said to the dumbass salesman that I was interested in a 147 Tig (he has a couple of diesels & a 125 on the lot). The Salesman responded with "the 147's don't come out until June/July". I responded with "that's not what I have heard", and turned around & walked out.
Is this guy for real? I am positve that 147's have landed here & been sold in Oz?

brh1978
09-03-2009, 03:08 PM
There have been a few 147's but they are very rare, a quick search on carsales and you'll get zero hits. I think he meant to say they will be arriving in June/July as they have been available to order since June last year...I should know as that's when I ordered mine, it will finally hit Aust on the 07/04/09. I have a feeling a flood of them will be arriving all around the same time.

Johnno
13-03-2009, 11:07 AM
I think I initially dealt with the same bloke at Waitara VW...

On my first visit, I was quoted a price with a corporate discount (being 5% on a Jetta but only 2% on the Tiggy). On a subsequent visit, I was told by another sales person that I wasn't in fact eligible for the corp. discount - he then quoted me sticker price for a 125tsi manual with metallic, comfort package, and the GPS. Thanks, but I could have downloaded all that off the interweb.

As for the trade on my old car, it was straight out of Red Book, not a cent more.

Still no follow-up call from the initial sales rep either.

Clearly they're not too worried about sales over there.

Sharkie
27-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Guys, Carsales.com.au currently has 169 Tiguans listed for sale. Of those about 15 is used and the rest is new or demos ..........

Most are TDI, with about 10 125TSIs ....... Time to go make a deal happen I think .....

Pullstarter
27-03-2009, 01:17 PM
And that's exactly what I just did!! :) Just ordered a Black Pearl Tiggy 125 with fogs, comfort pack, offroad pack in a manual. It's now on the boat after leaving Wolfsburg last week and should be here in 5-6 weeks hopefully. WOOHOO!!!

Sharkie
27-03-2009, 01:34 PM
There is a new Pearl Black 125TSI (man) available for immediate delivery in Brissy. Not sure about the other specs though. May be worth somebody's time to check it out.

I'd want a silver with certain specs, so I'll still wait ..... waiting on info from APR on their testing this month anyway.

Pullstarter
27-03-2009, 02:10 PM
There is a new Pearl Black 125TSI (man) available for immediate delivery in Brissy. Not sure about the other specs though. May be worth somebody's time to check it out.

I'd want a silver with certain specs, so I'll still wait ..... waiting on info from APR on their testing this month anyway.

Yeah I'm eagerly awaiting the APR results too. Must say the whole possible voided warranty thing does worry me though.

I initially only wanted a bog stock Tiggy in black manual with fogs but the one i've ordered was on the way and only ended up being about $500 dearer for the comfort and offroad package after some negotaiting. It was spend the extra $500 for $1200 worth of accessories or wait 5 months to save $500. 500 smackers aint that much in the grand scheme of things.

Johnno
31-03-2009, 10:42 AM
The thing that probably astounds me most is that a $36k car can so quickly jump to $50k once you put a few options on it. There was a vehicle in stock which met my specs (auto, fog, comfort, sat). BUT it also had wheels that I didn't particularly want. Rather than negotiate a price or change the wheels, I ended up walking out of the Parramatta dealership pi$$ed off because of all the jacked-up prices on things I didn't want. By the way, I am still waiting for a callback from Waitara VW after 3 weeks. I can drive-away an optioned-out Subi for much less, probably will go that option.

motk
31-03-2009, 11:03 AM
The thing that probably astounds me most is that a $36k car can so quickly jump to $50k once you put a few options on it. There was a vehicle in stock which met my specs (auto, fog, comfort, sat). BUT it also had wheels that I didn't particularly want. Rather than negotiate a price or change the wheels, I ended up walking out of the Parramatta dealership pi$$ed off because of all the jacked-up prices on things I didn't want. By the way, I am still waiting for a callback from Waitara VW after 3 weeks. I can drive-away an optioned-out Subi for much less, probably will go that option.

This is probably the main reason that kept up in a Golf - the jaw-dropping, BMW-esque pricing on the options. Madness, considering the kick inna fork you take for resale on the fruit!

A 2nd hand Tiguan may be of interest in a year or two.

NZTiguan
31-03-2009, 01:21 PM

Which is fine IF you want a run of the mill bit of Jap kit rather than the latest and best engineered small SUV in the world. Don't let anybody ever con you into believing that a Sub and a Tig are even in the same ball park cos they're not, one drive's all it takes to dispel that claim.

Sharkie
31-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Actually new Forrester has a better engine and AWD setup than the Tiguan. It is let down by the looks (both exterior and especially interior) and handling setup.

The VW has a better image than the Subi but the Forrester will likely have a better resale in 3 yrs time.

I like both but prefer the German engineering bit and the image ....... even though it will hurt in 3yrs time ..... VWs just do not have really good resale values in Oz.

clip
31-03-2009, 06:19 PM
As I said once before - the less Tigs on the road, the better :).

Pullstarter
31-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Woot! Snob value!! LOL I must admit most people I've told about ordering one have never heard of them. I'll second Sharkie's remarks about the interior of the Forester, just plain nasty!!

NZTiguan
31-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Actually new Forrester has a better engine and AWD setup than the Tiguan.

Sorry but that's total bollocks, certainly if you're talking Diesel and Track and Field pack. The electronics of the 4WD on the Tig is miles ahead of the Forrester PLUS on the road the Tig makes the Forrester look like it should be called the Lumberjack !!

clip
31-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Woot! Snob value!!
lol, actually I was thinking more demand at resale time - but snob value's OK too! :biggrin:

Sharkie
01-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Sorry but that's total bollocks, certainly if you're talking Diesel and Track and Field pack. The electronics of the 4WD on the Tig is miles ahead of the Forrester PLUS on the road the Tig makes the Forrester look like it should be called the Lumberjack !!

2.5T WRX engine in the Forrester XT is a much better (and proven) engine than any in the Tiguan (including the diesel). Forrester also has permanent mechanical AWD with 50:50 split F:R which is much better than the electronic 4Motion setup. For a premium small SUV this is as good as it gets (for the price).

I did say that the handling is below par and especially the quality of the interior.

There is no use in being blinded to the quailities of other brands, you have to be realistic about what you drive. In some aspects the Subi is better and in some not.

Overall for me, the Tiguan is the better car, but definately not perfect.

NZTiguan
01-04-2009, 07:48 AM
2.5T WRX engine in the Forrester XT is a much better (and proven) engine than any in the Tiguan (including the diesel). Forrester also has permanent mechanical AWD with 50:50 split F:R which is much better than the electronic 4Motion setup. For a premium small SUV this is as good as it gets (for the price).

Sorry says who ?? the 50/50 split is about as archaic as you can get and nowhere near as efficient or practical as the latest generation system in the Tig (and all the newer SUVs) particularly off-road (with the off-road pack) where the Tigs ability to lock its diffs, place all the power through only the wheels that have grip etc will walk over any Sub.

The engine is better ? once again says who ? and compared to what ? and for what ? once again all the Tigs engines are latest generation, and extremely efficient in comparison to any of the opposition.

Blinded to other brands ? don't think so mate, I've owned 7 new vehicles from Korea, Japan, Ausi, GB and now Germany. I test drove the new Sub amongst nearly a dozen other small SUVs and I'm certainly not blind to the failings of the Tig (all vehicles have them) but your suggestions that the Sub is BETTER in both the engine and 4WD system are IMHO totally off the mark.

Never suggested the Tig was perfect and personally I think the Sub was just holding second place BUT it's miles back and new vehicles from Audi, Volvo, Renault and BMW are in Tig territory whereas the Sub is reaching the end of its road and going backwards due to its old technology. Sub are going to have to totally rethink their systems (which I'm sure they're doing as we speak) cos at the moment the only benefit they have have over Tig and all the new arrivals is price.

Sharkie
01-04-2009, 08:10 AM
I have no doubt the Tig is much better offroad for a small SUV, not that I'd ever take either seriously offroad anyway. I have a DualCab diesel turbo with proper low range and lifted suspension just for that ....

AND, while the diesel in theTig may be current gen, the petrol engines have already been superseeded and are now "old". The new gen 2.0TFSI's seen 1st in the A4, Q5 and soon in the new Golf GTI is very different to the Tig's engines. The only thing they share is the displacement, almost everything else is new.

AND for on the road spirited driving mechanical AWD is much better ... the reason Audi has now gone back to it for the A4 Quattro and Q5 .....

An "upgrade" for 4Motion cars commonly is the Haldex clutch .... why? to actually make it a more permanent 50:50 type split rather than 90:10 ....

Don't get me wrong, I like the Tig and might actually still buy one as it is the best small SUV out there atm. Just waiting to see what deals come around in June .....

And sorry to say but the BMW, Volvo and Audi smallish SUVs are in another class yet again. All of them drive better, are quicker and less capable offroad :) and cost much much more :frown:

NZTiguan
01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
An "upgrade" for 4Motion cars commonly is the Haldex clutch .... why? to actually make it a more permanent 50:50 type split rather than 90:10 ....

Sorry you've lost me there, the Tiguan HAS the latest generation of the Haldex system ??

Sharkie
01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Sorry you've lost me there, the Tiguan HAS the latest generation of the Haldex system ??

It does have Haldex as std, however an upgrade to it is available and very popular amongst anybody driving a performance VAG car with 4Motion ......

Also if the std Haldex was that good, why would Haldex themselves develop an enhanced module to be sold aftermarket ? .....

http://www.goapr.com.au/products/haldex.html

to quote from APR

"Why would you upgrade?

The new Haldex Performance Controller is a total replacement of the mechanical and electronic controller that directly affects how the RWD portion of the AWD system works and how aggressively it reacts under acceleration, cornering and braking. "

In particular look at the torque transfer graphs. Stock Haldex is actually pretty cr@p.

NZTiguan
01-04-2009, 01:21 PM
For crying out loud the Tiguan is an SUV !!!!!!! not a bloody race car, sure if you want a race car you'd change the system BUT unless you're a darn idiot you wouldn't have bought a Tig (or a Lumberjack for that matter) in the first place. Horses for courses the Haldex system is IMO vastly superior to the Subs for an SUV, though I'm prepared to accept that may not be so for a race car, which it isn't.

Sharkie
01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Well actually the Tiguan is just a small SUV playing at being a 4WD. What it is, is a predominantly FWD wagon with the ability to transfer power to the rear wheels when needed. In this respect it is no better than a current Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV or Nissan Xtrail. All have on demand systems and all including the Tiguan has some lag in transferring power to the rear. The Haldex std is pretty good but not perfect and this is why they (Haldex themselves) provide an "upgrade". It is not limited to race cars and many other 4Motion equiped drivers (including Multivan drivers) do this upgrade to improve the way power is distributed to the rear.

The main reason on demand AWD systems (including 4Motion) was developed was to reduce fuel consumption and not in any way to improve power delivery to the wheels. Yes, it is better than FWD only, but inferior to permanent AWD.

Permanent AWD drives provide much better balance and feel from a traction perspective and this is why many cars do it this way, not only race cars. All real SUVs (Landcruiser, Prado, Pajero, Pathfinder, Patrol) do it this way and for good reason. Even Audi is moving back to Torsen permanent AWD after dabbling with 4Motion for a while and this not only on their performance cars.

What differentiates a Tiguan from a Forrester is not the way it provides power to its wheels (IMO inferior) but in the way the suspension is setup for handling both on and off the road. It has the best suspension setup of any small SUV and this is 1 of the main reasons to buy it. It is this superior suspension setup that you feel when you testdrive all the small SUV's as a comparison and not the way power is transmitted to the wheels.

When you make the decision to buy a small SUV, for whatever reason, you have to accept its limitations. If I buy the Tig for my wife, I will most certainly upgrade the Haldex clutch and not because I want to race it (for that I have a R20T Golf on order) but because I am convinced that the std Haldex system is compromised (no better than a current RAV4) and less than what it ought to be.

And with that I apologize for going off topic and promise not to do it again ..... soon anyway ..... :)

freddy
01-04-2009, 04:17 PM
In what appears to be a rather controversial step for a newbie I'm going to post something on the Tiguan pricing thread about ..... Tiguan pricing ....

Have been having problems getting any dealer to move much on price on a 2.0TDI (I'm in the country, diesel makes more sense to me). Best I can do at the moment is a $2,500 no trade discount on an 09 build (arriving on the next ship). They don't even seem to want to play ball on 08 build vehicles on their lots. Maybe I'm just a crappy negotiator.

However I have one offer on a new 12/08 built (09 complied) TDI with close to $7k of options on it that works out at about $7K off list. That seems to be a great deal to me, given my previous experiences.

Anyone have any recent great epxeriences that might make me hold off for an 09 build (or expectations of better deals in the offing, given that a new shipment is arriving shortly)? However I'm not so concerned about the 08 versus 09 build as I hang on to my vehicles for a long time, so resale is pretty ordinary on my vehicles by the end anyway.

Pullstarter
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
There doesn't seem to be any stellar deals going at the moment, certainly better than 6-9 months ago when they wouldn't budge an inch though. The deal I got on my 125 ended up being about 2k off list I guess, probably not a great deal but not bad considering the local VW dealer here has no competition. If you're in a regional area like you say I suspect it will be pretty much the same.

clip
01-04-2009, 07:05 PM
The new gen 2.0TFSI's seen 1st in the A4, Q5 and soon in the new Golf GTI is very different to the Tig's engines. The only thing they share is the displacement, almost everything else is new.
I'm confused now Sharkie. I'm sure you're right, but the american APR tech was saying that my Tig engine was the lastest TFSI, that was quite different to the current GTI engine. The Tig had some new internals and included changes to the fuel pump and other technical stuff. He said that's why they are getting more out of the Tigs than the current GTI's. He also said that they are more reliable having changed a few crucial components that have caused problems in the current GTI's. But maybe I misunderstood him.

Sharkie
01-04-2009, 07:47 PM
You are right to some extent clip. The Tig engine is newer than the Mk5 GTI with internal upgrades etc. It is exactly the reason the tuners get more out of it than the GTI. Think of it as a v1.5 if you will. And it is more reliable as they have fixed some of the issues that they discovered along the way. :)

The new Mk6 GTI will have a new engine yet again. The v2.0 if you will. You have to remember that the engine changes over time and the 2005 GTIs have differences to the 2008 GTIs. I believe even the engine codes are different between 2005 & 2008.

It is also very likely that this new GTI engine will make its way into the Tig over time .... which is a good thing.

Sanman
01-04-2009, 08:17 PM
The Tiguans on the boat now are '09 build, I've been quoted the same fleet pricing ($2k off RRP plus $1k dealer delivery) at 2 different dealers (metro Mel), with more room to move. Looking at the US 2010 model update (due in 6 months time) it appears the Tiguan will get Golf VI white lighting and s/wheel, upgraded CAN and heater controls. But what I really want to know is will it get the newer 2.0TDI and DSG now that its been released in the Q5.
The US market also gets LED taillamps, and other markets have tyrepressure as standard fitment. Might be a possibility.

NZTiguan
01-04-2009, 08:34 PM
And with that I apologize for going off topic and promise not to do it again ..... soon anyway ..... :)

Sorry, disagree with almost every statement you make, except for the off topic bit, but just can't be bothered going there.

Johnno
02-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Which is fine IF you want a run of the mill bit of Jap kit rather than the latest and best engineered small SUV in the world. Don't let anybody ever con you into believing that a Sub and a Tig are even in the same ball park cos they're not, one drive's all it takes to dispel that claim.

Meh... I heard the same sh*t from the sales person. At the end of the day, I'm only going to buy the best car I can afford. A fully-kitted Subi, drive away for less than $40k is a viable option. Being coerced into buying a '08 plated car that has wheels I don't want, but the options I do want at a dramatically jacked up price, is not.

When the VW salesman told me that the car he had in stock was "worth" around $52k I nearly choked. That is the same car that is advertised at $36k (auto) as a base model.

So tell me, what makes German engineered fog lights and a French navigation system (Siemens, isn't it?) worth so much more??? That is the elitist bollocks that I have the most trouble believing.

clip
02-04-2009, 08:38 PM
It's the way the Germans sell their cars. You can own any of them for "reasonable" money, but as soon as you want a few extras you pay for them.

But there are options out there to drastically reduce that cost of some of your options (leather, SatNav, fog lights, wheels) if you're willing to do the running around yourself.

I've done the list of my options and prices before- but just as a reminder, the car cost me $46,000 and for that I've got Comfort Pack, Park Assist, 19" wheels, SatNav with blue tooth and iPod, and 190kW 420Nm engine, plus everything else the Tig comes with as standard that not all the others do.

Now for the sake of the argument, lets compare some of the others that offer 'similar' levels equip (but still not quite at the Tig level):

Forester XT Premium 169kW 310Nm $47k + on roads,

RAV4 V6 - $40,500 + on roads,

Honda CRV Luxury $43,500 + on roads (they've got to be kidding - don't they?)

Sort of makes the Tig good value for money IMO.

Transporter
02-04-2009, 09:11 PM
The Tiguans on the boat now are '09 build, I've been quoted the same fleet pricing ($2k off RRP plus $1k dealer delivery) at 2 different dealers (metro Mel), with more room to move. Looking at the US 2010 model update (due in 6 months time) it appears the Tiguan will get Golf VI white lighting and s/wheel, upgraded CAN and heater controls. But what I really want to know is will it get the newer 2.0TDI and DSG now that its been released in the Q5.
The US market also gets LED taillamps, and other markets have tyrepressure as standard fitment. Might be a possibility.

The DSG in Q5 is different [EDIT] transmission to that used in Tiguan. It is much longer and is only for quatro driveline, it has code DL501-7Q and is torque rated 550Nm at 9000rpm.

Pullstarter
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
As far as I know there aren't any Tiguans with DSG? Just tiptronics from what I've read. I have to agree with Clip, a Tig 125 with a 2k chip is a performance bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Sharkie
03-04-2009, 06:06 AM
No DSG in any Tiguans (yet) and nothing from the Q5 will make its way directly into the Tiguan. Q5 has longitidunal engine and gbox whilst Tiguan (and the Golf it is based on) is transverse.

The new 2.0TDI from the Q5 is the one (adapted to fit) in the new MK6 GTD being released overseas so it could make its way into a Tig eventually.

Have to agree with Johnno that there seems to be a lot of sales brochure b******t out there (and here for that matter) and that an unbaised picture is unlikely to be found on this forum ...... Price of Tiguan with options is steep.

BUT agree with clip and Pullstarter that a base Tig with a chip is a performance bargain. Like a small SUV GTI. Just watch the options you add.

There are currently 130+ TDI Tiguans (all new 08 models) for sale on carsales. Got to be a bargain to be had atm and your bargaining position will just improve as end of fin year comes closer.

I'm worried what a "mid life" upgrade (new lights etc) will do to the value of the Tigs already out there though.

motk
03-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Permanent AWD drives provide much better balance and feel from a traction perspective and this is why many cars do it this way, not only race cars. All real SUVs (Landcruiser, Prado, Pajero, Pathfinder, Patrol) do it this way and for good reason. Even Audi is moving back to Torsen permanent AWD after dabbling with 4Motion for a while and this not only on their performance cars.

Since when has Audi used Haldex/4Motion on anything but their east-west engined A3?

Sharkie
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Since when has Audi used Haldex/4Motion on anything but their east-west engined A3?

A4 has been using Haldex for about 9-10yrs now. Ask Jmac or another Audi tech. Latest A4 (B8 ) I believe to be Torsen again.

A6 may have been as well, but I've never been interested in it so never bothered getting into the tech specs on it.

Audi TT Quattro (previous and current model) use Haldex.

Pullstarter
04-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Well I think the previous discussions go to show that the Tig is many different things to many different people. Clip and myself are going the slightly lowered, improved power and handling route, not for everyone I know. However, it does show how versatile these little beasties are and surely that's a good thing? :)

clip
04-04-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm worried what a "mid life" upgrade (new lights etc) will do to the value of the Tigs already out there though.
Can't be worried about that Sharkie, because as soon as the upgrade comes out, the new model will be following right after it, and then a new one after that, that's the way it works hey, otherwise we'd still be driving model A fords. Now stop bloody procrastinating and go and get one! :)

clip
04-04-2009, 10:58 PM
I had a guy following me along the road and into the shops today. Wasn't sure what he was up to. I went to park and he did, I changed my mind and went a bit further, and he followed again. So I stopped, jumped out and went up to his window to see what his problem was (didn't really think it through at the time). But it was OK, he said ... hey, just wanted to ask you about your Tiguan, I want to replace the CRV with one and I've heard really good great things about them!... Of course I told him they were rubbish and he'd be better off getting a Forester j:

Sharkie
05-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Can't be worried about that Sharkie, because as soon as the upgrade comes out, the new model will be following right after it, and then a new one after that, that's the way it works hey, otherwise we'd still be driving model A fords. Now stop bloody procrastinating and go and get one! :)

I actually did do something on it yesterday. Spent some time up in your area and visited Audi and VW & Subaru (Cricks for both). Test drove Q5 and Forrester XT, VW did not have a 125, only TDI's. From a pure performance view, nothing really in it between the XT and the Q5. Remember that there are many more Subaru tuners out there than VW/Audi tuners, so the options to "enhance" an XT is pretty much endless.

XT is rubbish inside and some of the exterior trim as well. I like the performance and can "fix" the suspension issues but don't want one.

Q5 is beautiful to look at. Audi on Nicklin way has a silver 2.0TSFI with the S-Line exterior kit and it is a looker. Inside is good std, but it has a few severe flaws. No A/C vents as standard in the rear unless you spend an additional $1500. Rear transmission tunnel intrudes badly and my kids were uncomfortable on a 15min drive. The middle rear seat is also bad, in effect the Q5 is a 2+2+(very) temporary 1.

Performance is good, DSG is rubbish as always. Evertime I drive a DSG and it lags at takeoff at the lights I promise to myself never to get one. (It is the reason VW was embarrased when it took DSG and manual GTIs to a drag strip to prove how good DSG was and the manuals won every single time.) So no Q5 for me. I actually had my heart set on one :frown:

Spent some time inside the Tig to look at the issues I had. Space in the boot is still not great, but I got my wife to agree that it wasn't that bad and that she could live with it as a runabout. Rear seat space & comfort was much better than the Q5 with A/c vents, no bad transmission tunnel and a comfortable 5th seat.

So on Monday I will hear if they have any 125s in manual, in silver with my chosen options anywhere in Oz or if I will have to order 1 in.

Well I think the previous discussions go to show that the Tig is many different things to many different people. Clip and myself are going the slightly lowered, improved power and handling route, not for everyone I know. However, it does show how versatile these little beasties are and surely that's a good thing? :)

I'll be going this same performance small SUV route (better handling and more performance) as to me (I'm sure I said it before :)) it is by no means meant to go seriously offroad. It provides the best entry point into a AWD 2.0TFSI VAG vehicle even if it isn't "real" AWD :)

On that point clip, have you had issues with wheelspin on a spirited launch? I will need to speak to Guy during the week as well ......

I did buy something though ...... a new BMW F800ST in midnight blue with ABS .... replacing my 2 Suzukis with a single dual purpose (German) bike ... :biggrin:

clip
05-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Mate, you should have given me a yell if you were up this way.

Disappointing about the Q5, but to be honest, I just can't see the value in them at nearly $20k more. And add another 150kg over the Tig125, that's going to take off any edge the new engine might have.

No problems with wheel spin off the line, but then I probably haven't stood on it hard enough to induce it either. Because first is so short (I think just to remind you that it's got a bit of 4x4 in it), I generally get it into second as quick as possible and let the torque do the walking.

I know Guy has got other stuff happening for the Tig, so I don't think you'll go too wrong in the performance side of things.

And good choice on the bike too! Way to go!

Pullstarter
05-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Pics of new bike required or BAN!! :) Sounds like you've made your mind up then Sharkie?

Transporter
05-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I had a guy following me along the road and into the shops today. Wasn't sure what he was up to. I went to park and he did, I changed my mind and went a bit further, and he followed again. So I stopped, jumped out and went up to his window to see what his problem was (didn't really think it through at the time). But it was OK, he said ... hey, just wanted to ask you about your Tiguan, I want to replace the CRV with one and I've heard really good great things about them!... Of course I told him they were rubbish and he'd be better off getting a Forester j:

"Subaru is demanding a lot of self-confidence from you, because the Forester, by its drabness, refuses to massage your ego". :wasntme:

http://www.topgear.com/au/subaru/forester/road-test/2.0-xs

Tigga1
05-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Dear Pullstarter and Clip:)
I've already got the neuspeed h/d rear s/bar, but am interested to go a bit further...
noticed on nesupeed's website they do a Haldex add-on for gearbox that will make it more Q5 like (I imagine) in spirited driving, i.e. provide a 40/60 sport split, which I personally think could make a huge difference in driving anywhere but straight ahead...even more that chip or tuning...have you guys considered this? I go up and down a mountain range every day to work and, while the power is ok, I think this would probably provide more real time improvement than the chip:idea:
perhaps I should consider both...which I am:)

cheers

clip
05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
I go up and down a mountain range every day to work and, while the power is ok, I think this would probably provide more real time improvement than the chip:idea:
perhaps I should consider both...which I am
No Tigga, haven't considered the haldex add-on. First thing for me is sway bar and springs. Just have to find a supplier for the springs.

I think you need the chip Tigga, going up and down that range every day. Pulling up hills is ridiculous now. The torque is just sensational. Mind you, you might find yourself in trouble with Mr plod on that road.

clip
05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
"Subaru is demanding a lot of self-confidence from you, because the Forester, by its drabness, refuses to massage your ego".
an odd write up for sure, but then it is from Top Gear Australia :horsepoop:

Of course the same could be said about VW styling. Maybe the r20t will break the mould.

Sharkie
06-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Pics of new bike required or BAN!! :) Sounds like you've made your mind up then Sharkie?

Yep, mind is now 99% made up. Will start the ball rolling this week to get a Tig parked at home ASAP.

The bike is in Melbourne at the BMW depot and will need to come up to BMW on the Sunshine Coast and then be pd'd so I'm hoping about a week, may be more like 10 days though before I have it.

Good things is Tig and bike combined is much less than a Q5 so I'm coming out ahead as I was ready to spend $70K on the Q5. And I get to trade 2 bikes in to offset even further.:biggrin:

Pullstarter
06-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Gotta love multiple purchases!! :biggrin:

Sharkie
06-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Apparently only 3 x 125TSI Manuals in stock and not sold anywhere in Oz atm. I'll have to order 1 in. 4 month wait. :frown:

For some reason apprently the word got out that th 125TSI manual is the 1 to buy as it is the hot Tiguan atm. Almost no 147 orders and TDI sales have dried up ...... everybody wants a 125 in manual ....:duh: VW confirmed more than 130 TDIs in stock and nobody wants them ......

I'll put a clause in my order that if the 147 becomes available in manual (and it is available overseas) I'll want to upgrade as I like the extras (sport seats especially) it has.

Pullstarter
06-04-2009, 04:10 PM
I was lucky to get mine with a 5 week wait then by the sounds? I asked about the possibility of getting a 147 manual and was flatly told no, you can try I guess.

clip
06-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I know where you can get a 125 manual from. $49k and it's all yours if anyone's interested.

Sharkie
07-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Finalised my order today. :biggrin: Delivery around 15 August 2009 :frown:

Drive-away $37500

Tiguan 125kw Manual
Reflex Silver
Comfort Package
Foglights
Alarm
Dealer Fitted mats

+ extras to come
$2K for APR ECU
$2K 18" alloys & tyres
$500 H&R sport springs & fitment
$500 CAI

I suspect I could have done better on a car in stock, but having to order it in means no real urgency by the dealer to deal. Still a good deal I think.

Pullstarter
07-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Bloody good deal! Better than I got :( No competition in Canberra only 1 dealer :brutal:

Sanman
07-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Drive-away $37500

Tiguan 125kw Manual
Reflex Silver
Comfort Package
Foglights
Alarm
Dealer Fitted mats

Let me check the discount off list:
Vehicle $37k
Dealer Delivery $1k ("fleet" rate)
Rego $630 (vic)
Stamp duty $1k
Total price $39.5k
So - you achieved $2k discount, or basically the "Fleet" discount rate whiich is not too bad for an ordered vehicle
I'm looking at how far I can go below this figure, as I am looking at a TDI auto which are on the grass atm. Not sure if the Dealership collusion will offer much more than "fleet".
Look out for possible end-of-financial year drive away pricing (ordered and delivered before June 30), the cost of doing this is usually split between the mfr and the dealer, so effectively its a $1500 further rebate.

Sharkie
08-04-2009, 07:47 AM
At the moment all VW dealers are also doing a trade in deal (sponsored by VWA). $1500 more for your trade in until the end of April. So trade value is determinded then $1500 added on top.

Does not help anybody waiting for a car though that will be delivered after end April. :frown:

clip
08-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Well done Sharkie!

Johnno
08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=Sharkie;306835]Finalised my order today. :biggrin: Delivery around 15 August 2009 :frown:

Drive-away $37500

Tiguan 125kw Manual
Reflex Silver
Comfort Package
Foglights
Alarm
Dealer Fitted mats

QUOTE]

You're kidding?!!! Is that with a trade-in? Add a sat-nav and auto, lose the alarm and mats and you've managed to come in more than $7k better than what they offered me - thats including my old car too. Great work.

Jmac
12-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Just stumbled upon this, A4 doesnt use Haldex, nor does the Passat 4Mo. Both use 01R rear diffs as does the A6.
Cheers
Jmac

echo_base
13-04-2009, 07:49 PM
I picked up my Tiggy the other day. Between placing the order and picking up the car, I only had to wait 16 days, so I can't complain. It's a 125TSI Manual, with Off road tech and fog lights in Silver Leaf. I got it so quick because it was on the boat and on its way, so I took the cheapest one I could get.

Like everyone else here, I love it!

Complaints? None really, although have noticed a few rattles (sound like screws lose). I'll be calling the dealer about those when I get back from a work trip.

Some observations: first seems very short and the engine loves to rev right through it. I end up driving quite sedately and changing at low revs in first as the only other option seems to be shoving my passengers' heads back into the head rests.

The car wants to be flung about, but the high centre of gravity (it is a small SUV, after all!) means that any flinging sends your passengers flying. If you've got an other half who likes to complain, best not to have a go when you have company!

Otherwise: wonderful car. Couldn't be happier.

NZTiguan
14-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Some observations: first seems very short and the engine loves to rev right through it. I end up driving quite sedately and changing at low revs in first as the only other option seems to be shoving my passengers' heads back into the head rests.

First is designed for off-road work, the diesel auto doesn't even use first in "D" !!

Sharkie
15-04-2009, 11:55 AM
First is designed for off-road work, the diesel auto doesn't even use first in "D" !!

Yes, short 1st is common for all manual 4WD cars with no low range capability. My wife's 4 yr old RAV as well and its best to get moving and shift to 2nd ASAP. It is intended as compromise to provide the ability to crawl over obstacles ..... not nearly as effective as a proper low range, but then the Tig is not intended for that anyway.

and most auto's pull-off in 2nd as a default anyway.

High-Fidelity
15-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Just placed an order and paid a deposit on a Deep Black TDi with comfort pack, off road, fog lights and park assist.

Good value for less than $40k on the road (fleet discount).

Ben.

NZTiguan
15-04-2009, 02:26 PM
and most auto's pull-off in 2nd as a default anyway.

Interesting that you suggest that, according to all the auto "petrol" Tig owners I've talked to they start in 1st not 2nd, it's just the diesels that use 2nd. I believe it's an issue of the diesel having so much more torque low down in the rev range.

DJY
15-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Bloody good deal! Better than I got :( No competition in Canberra only 1 dealer :brutal:

Not true!
Gerald Slaven in Belconnen are now a VW dealer!
The three guys out there are very friendly and informative...
Phil the Manager, Josh and Mike (I think).

WOOHOO
Finally we don't have to deal with Lennox!

Pullstarter
15-04-2009, 05:22 PM
They opened like 3 days after I ordered LOL. My timing is always impeccable like that :frown:

Sanman
15-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Just placed an order and paid a deposit on a Deep Black TDi with comfort pack, off road, fog lights and park assist.

Good value for less than $40k on the road (fleet discount).

Ben.

Hi Ben - is that auto? If so, then that's outstanding value. I managed $41.5k yesterday for the same package (auto ) minus off road.
BTW What state are you?

High-Fidelity
16-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Hi Ben - is that auto? If so, then that's outstanding value. I managed $41.5k yesterday for the same package (auto ) minus off road.
BTW What state are you?

It's a manual. Even though I do mostly city driving I prefer manuals. That and the TDI has enough torque that I can just be lazy with choosing a gear anyway.

I'm looking forward to picking it up, but that won't happen until June. At least it's on the boat already.

I'm in Victoria, should probably put that in my profile. Will update that when I'm back at home and not on my iPhone.

Ben

Sanman
17-04-2009, 01:39 PM
It's a manual. Even though I do mostly city driving I prefer manuals. That and the TDI has enough torque that I can just be lazy with choosing a gear anyway.
Ben

Still not a bad deal.
I'm in Vic, pickup for me is in 6 weeks (probably on the same boat as yours) -

To summarise my specs are:
TDI auto
Park assist
Metallic
Comfort Pack
Fog lights
for $41.5k drive away

This is maybe $1500 lower than the "fleet price", I think I could have pushed for another $250-$500 off this before hitting bottom.

Will be interesting to see if VWA offers something special for End Of Financial Year, particularly as the 30% business deduction ends then, meaning they'll have a very sad July-Aug, only picking up when the 2010 model updates are available in Q4 (the updates are pretty minor)

Johnno
17-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Just saw an ad for Tiguan on telly (metro Sydney). Advertised as $33k RRP.

DJY
17-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Just saw an ad for Tiguan on telly (metro Sydney). Advertised as $33k RRP.

Yes officially the
125TSI Manual is $33990
125TSI Auto is $36490

but then there is the fine print:
"Prices quoted are Recommended Retail Prices (RRP) excluding dealer delivery charges, which may vary from dealer to dealer and statutory charges, which vary from state to state."

High-Fidelity
17-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Still not a bad deal.
I'm in Vic, pickup for me is in 6 weeks (probably on the same boat as yours) -

To summarise my specs are:
TDI auto
Park assist
Metallic
Comfort Pack
Fog lights
for $41.5k drive away

Yeah, your deal is slightly better than mine, although mine also includes the off road pack, so pretty close. Seems there are more TDI Autos around than manuals. There were only two cars even close to the spec I wanted, and 1 of them was sitting at a dealer in NSW and has been for a while apparently (08 plated).

I'm happy with it all, and since it's novated it's not going to make a huge difference to me.

I baulked at paying the 3.5k for the sat nav, but will probably ebay an RNS-510 and fit it myself. Seems pretty easy by all accounts.

It's going to be a long 6-7 weeks for me... although, I waited 5 months for my last car (Peugeot 206 GTi).

Ben.

auswill
20-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Tiguan 147 TSI - is it available yet and has anyone tried getting a price on it?
With the options I want, it only works out a few grand more than the 125 Auto so i think its more worth it to get a 147.
What do u think is a reasonable drive away price?

brh1978
21-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Tiguan 147 TSI - is it available yet and has anyone tried getting a price on it?
With the options I want, it only works out a few grand more than the 125 Auto so i think its more worth it to get a 147.
What do u think is a reasonable drive away price?

I ordered a 147TSI a very long time ago and it is finally ready for pick up this week. The dealer had a few on order that arrived last week, I don't think they ordered any to keep as stock, they are all sold. You'll prob find they will slowly become available now that demand in the US has slowed down (as they only sell the 147Kw engine in the US).

I went for the 147 as like you, the options I wanted added up quickly on the other models, I was worried about poor resale considering you generally loose the value of the options as soon as you drive away from the dealer.

As for deals, I think if you want to order a 2009 Tig and you can get dealer delivery down to $900 and get the $2K fleet discount you're doing alright. You'll prob get a much better deal on an instock 125TSI or 103TDI.

auswill
21-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Can u list what you got, for how much and whereabouts?
Is dealer delivery, rego and CTP the only charges on top of the car.

Eg. I worked out...147 + 18" Wheels, Rear Parking, Sat Nav, Leather, Tinting, Mats and Bluetooth will work out to be around 53,000. How much is on road costs on top of that. If I can all that on a 125 TSI I wouldnt mind if its a lot cheaper.

Sharkie
21-04-2009, 04:28 PM
This is what the 147 has extra above the 125 ...

These cannot be added to a 125 and some of it is really good

Chrome trim around windows
Chrome Roof rails
17" Alloy wheels 235-55-17
Tinted Windows
Interior ambience lighting
Folding tables in front seatbacks
RCD510 + 6Cd Changer Audio
Optical Parking System
Sports Front seats
Lumbar adjustment - front seats
Under front seat drawers
Front Seat backrest storage
Glasses case in roof lining

These are standard on the 147 that you can add to the 125

Low tyre presure indicator (as part of the off-road package only $300)
Rear parking sensors Dealer Accessory $600
Front Foglights $400

Comfort Pack including $1000
Dual Zone Climate control
Low lights sensor auto lights
auto dimming rearview mirror
illuminated vanity mirrors
rain sensor

As far as I'm concerned I'd have bought the 147 above the 125 if only I could have had it in a manual. If you wanted an auto to me it is a no brainer as the extras are worth much more than the $6500 difference IMO.

Pullstarter
21-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Are you sure about the ambient lighting as my friend's TDI has it as part of the comfort package?

The 125 I test drove also had the sunglasses case in the headlining, maybe a few things are sneaking in where they shouldnt?

X 2 big thumbs down for no manual in the 147, I definitely would have got one otherwise.

clip
21-04-2009, 06:55 PM
My 125 came with the ambient lighting (Comfort Pack?). It's kind of neat - at night, the interior lights up like New Years Eve on Times Square!

Pullstarter
21-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Does yours have the glasses holder as well John?

clip
21-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Does yours have the glasses holder as well John?
which ones?, I've got little cubbie holes all over the place. I used to keep a spare set of sunnies in the overhead unit where those nice little red lights shine down from, but they rattled, so I moved them to the lower one (which I only found by accident the other day) that is directly under the head unit, but above the one that has the flap on it. I mean, how many does a boy really need anyway? :biggrin:

Pullstarter
21-04-2009, 07:19 PM
which ones?, I've got little cubbie holes all over the place. I used to keep a spare set of sunnies in the overhead unit where those nice little red lights shine down from, but they rattled, so I moved them to the lower one (which I only found by accident the other day) that is directly under the head unit, but above the one that has the flap on it. I mean, how many does a boy really need anyway? :biggrin:

Depends how many pairs you have for each mood duckie :biggrin:

clip
21-04-2009, 07:44 PM
The funny thing was, I had this really annoying rattle, and I actually pulled off the LH door trim because it sounded like it was coming from there and thought I might have left something loose after fitting up the new speakers etc. Didn't fix it though, so was putting up with it - until I was in the passenger seat the other day and the rattle sounded like it was now coming from the drivers side! I happened to look up and pulled out the sunnies - and the rest is history!

Consequently even though I've got a special spot for extra sunnies - I don't use it!

Sharkie
21-04-2009, 07:46 PM
According to the brochure I've got the 147 has ambience lighting and footwell illumination lighting the others don't.

It may well be an inclusion these days in the comfort pack. The sunglass holder is supposed to be in the headlining next to the lights. This is also supposed to not be in the others.

I'll be happy if both these items are included as it is sort of dumb to leave it out :duh:

The big items I would really have liked is the fogs, parking sensors, RCD510 radio and especially the sports seats.

I'm possibly going to have the parking sensors fitted as a dealer accessory .... and need to know if the RCD510 can just be transplanted into a RCD310 equipped car. They are cheap on ebay overseas from owners who have upgraded to the RNS510s .....

brh1978
21-04-2009, 08:05 PM
I believe the ambient lighting is a part the comfort pack, there is a mistake in the brochure. I've only seen the glasses holder in 125 & 103's fitted with the sunroof. Not sure about the radios, but at a guess I'd say it would be a hot swap, the RCD-510 is an option on a lot of VW's now.

brh1978
21-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Can u list what you got, for how much and whereabouts?
Is dealer delivery, rego and CTP the only charges on top of the car.

Eg. I worked out...147 + 18" Wheels, Rear Parking, Sat Nav, Leather, Tinting, Mats and Bluetooth will work out to be around 53,000. How much is on road costs on top of that. If I can all that on a 125 TSI I wouldnt mind if its a lot cheaper.

I pretty much paid list for everything minus the $2k fleet discount and dealer delivery dropped to $900. Options I ordered were: Black Leather, Metallic paint, park assist, MDI, scuff plates, mats. Drive away price will depend on where you live as stamp duty and rego/3rd party varies quite a bit from state to state.

You can find online stamp duty and rego calculators so it should be pretty easy to work out a drive away price...why don't you go into a dealer and let them do all of the hard work!

DJY
21-04-2009, 09:50 PM

Not sure your calculations are correct:
147TSI $48623 (RRP here in ACT - incl dealer & statutory charges)
Rear Parking (optical and sensors are free on 147)
If you mean Park Assist add $900 - jumps to $1400 on 125
Sat Nav $3000 on 147 - jumps to $3500 on 125
Leather $3700 on 147 - jumps to $4000 on 125
Tinting (free on side and rear windows on 147)
Mats & 18" wheels I don't have prices for at hand... but have heard of up to $3600 for the 18"???

I'm quite torn...
went back and had another look today. Still not convinced about the 103TDI... whether it is the sound, the slow wind up, or maybe just in my head.

I was given RRP today (drive away WITH ACT rego):

OPTION 1 - 125 Auto + Silver leaf + Leather + comfort + off road = $47500*

OPTION 2 - 125 Black + beige leather + sunroof + comfort = $49990*

OPTION 3 - 147 Black + Leather = 53230*

OPTION 4 - 147 Silver leaf + leather + Park Assist = $54200*

OPTION 5 - 147 Silver + leather + Park Assist + off road = $54500*

OPTION 6 - 147 Black + leather + sunroof = $55400*

* = all said there was a "bit of wiggle room" (no firm amounts discussed yet, although I've spoken to a few dealers now in Canberra and Sydney - and there is a bit of variability in what they will play with).

I really want Sat Nav as well though - but that can be dealer fit (just not with a rear view camera)... price varies from dealer to dealer as the part is $3000 - some add fitting / labour costs.

Two sorts of bluetooth are avail as well $700 or $1400 (gives on screen address book / options I gather).

Spook
21-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Been lurking around the forum and finally decided to get in and contribute :)

The big items I would really have liked is the fogs, parking sensors, RCD510 radio and especially the sports seats.

I'm possibly going to have the parking sensors fitted as a dealer accessory .... and need to know if the RCD510 can just be transplanted into a RCD310 equipped car. They are cheap on ebay overseas from owners who have upgraded to the RNS510s .....

Per the brochure, if you tick the Leather Seats option you get the sports seats, the folding tables and also a drawer under the passenger seat. I suppose in Qld leather might not be an appealing option.

The RCD310 can be upgraded to the RCD510 in the Golf VI, so I'd imagine a straight transplant is possible.

clip
21-04-2009, 10:44 PM
I suppose in Qld leather might not be an appealing option.
Yep, you're right spook, but not just from the comfort point of view. Have a look at a 3 or 4 year beemer up here that's had normal wear and tear and see what condition the leather is in.

Transporter
22-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Sat Nav $3000 on 147 - jumps to $3500 on 125
Leather $3700 on 147 - jumps to $4000 on 125
Tinting (free on side and rear windows on 147)
Mats & 18" wheels I don't have prices for at hand...

I'm quite torn...
went back and had another look today. Still not convinced about the 103TDI... whether it is the sound, the slow wind up, or maybe just in my head.

I was given RRP today (drive away WITH ACT rego):

OPTION 1 - 125 Auto + Silver leaf + Leather + comfort + off road = $47500*

OPTION 2 - 125 Black + beige leather + sunroof + comfort = $49990*

OPTION 3 - 147 Black + Leather = 53230*

OPTION 4 - 147 Silver leaf + leather + Park Assist = $54200*

OPTION 5 - 147 Silver + leather + Park Assist + off road = $54500*

OPTION 6 - 147 Black + leather + sunroof = $55400*

* = all said there was a "bit of wiggle room" (no firm amounts discussed yet, although I've spoken to a few dealers now in Canberra and Sydney - and there is a bit of variability in what they will play with).

I really want Sat Nav as well though - but that can be dealer fit (just not with a rear view camera)... price varies from dealer to dealer as the part is $3000 - some add fitting / labour costs.

Two sorts of bluetooth are avail as well $700 or $1400 (gives on screen address book / options I gather).

The diesel will save you money every time you fill up. So, for me it would be the one to go for. At the moment I’m making decision between Tig and Forester diesel, which is still not here. On the paper from the specs and being the longitudinal drive train Forester is clear winner for me, but I have to road test it to be sure. Forester is 180kg lighter, bigger boot, smaller turning circle and has 220 mm ground clearance (25mm more than Tig). Tough decision - one is good looking and the other one technically better, at least from the specs.

Sharkie
22-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Petrol wont be that more expensive to run over say 15000km/year. Average consumption 103Man = 2l/100km (actually 1.7) better than the 125man so only 300l more used over a year at a cost of $1.50 for 98RON = $450. Thats is less than $40 a month !!!!

I'd rather spend that $450 a year extra and get some performance out of the car.

Std torque is also no longer a "selling" point. TDI makes 320NM from 1750-2500rmin = 750rmin bandwith !!!!! TSI makes 280NM from 1700-4200rmin = 2500rmin bandwidth !!!!!

I know which will actually be more responsive on the road .... and its not the TDI.

Chip both of them and the TDI makes 380NM (same bandwidth as before) whereas the TSI makes 410NM (same bandwidth) and then seriously outgrunts the TDI on all aspects.

If I was going to take the car offroad to some extent I'd pick a Forrester, it is superior in all areas that matter for that purpose, however the Tiguan is the better all-round car and that is why I bought it.

brh1978
22-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Yep, you're right spook, but not just from the comfort point of view. Have a look at a 3 or 4 year beemer up here that's had normal wear and tear and see what condition the leather is in.

Lexol Leather care is your friend, keep up the maintenance and it should last a long time! I've only heard good things on forums about the quality of the Tiguan leather!

DJY
22-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the post Sharkie! I think I will be preferring the petrol engines too! There does seem to be a lot of hype around the TDI... and it is a shame there aren't any petrol engines around to compare it against!

Petrol wont be that more expensive to run over say 15000km/year...

I don't do huge km/year - and most of it is city driving... one factor behind my decision to not go for the TDI

Std torque is also no longer a "selling" point. TDI makes 320NM from 1750-2500rmin = 750rmin bandwith !!!!! TSI makes 280NM from 1700-4200rmin = 2500rmin bandwidth !!!!!
I hadn't ever noticed the very narrow torque range on the TDI specs! Thanks mate!

I know which will actually be more responsive on the road .... and its not the TDI.
Here is hoping! I've driven the 103 a couple of times and wasn't overly inspired / impressed... whether it was the lack of initial pick up, the sound, don't know... but it isn't for me.

Combine then diesel servicing is more expensive (I've heard), and I want a car that is responsive, with enough grunt when I need it, I'm keen to see / drive the 125 and 147. Shame there aren't any ANYWHERE to test or drive?!?!?!

Pullstarter
22-04-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm keen to see / drive the 125 and 147. Shame there aren't any ANYWHERE to test or drive?!?!?!

There's a silver leaf 125 manual at Lennock in Philip which I test drove. Give Gareth a call and tell him Simon (black 125 on order) sent you :)

DJY
22-04-2009, 10:36 AM
There's a silver leaf 125 manual at Lennock in Philip which I test drove. Give Gareth a call and tell him Simon (black 125 on order) sent you :)

Thanks mate!
When I spoke to Andrew yesterday he said they only had diesel!
He also said there were only 5 vehicles currently in Aust available?!?!!
Mmm me thinks I've been palmed off by a lackie!

When is your Black 125 due to arrive?

Pullstarter
22-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I just called him apparently it has been sold, didn't last long :eek: You might have to make a trip to Sydney for a test drive? Lennock reckon they'll have another manual one in late may for test drives. Damn high demand!! :frown:

Mine is due around 15th May, can't wait :biggrin:

DJY
22-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Both Lennock and Gerald Slaven I think have cars arriving on the ship due early May...

VWA managed to buy vehicles from a cancelled European order.
Lennock have at least three petrol versions arriving 1 x 125, and 2 x 147.
Gerald Slaven also have vehicles on the same ship...

but yes I'm considering a Sydney dealer - have spoken to a couple - and I might even get a better overall deal?!?!

Pullstarter
22-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Both Lennock and Gerald Slaven I think have cars arriving on the ship due early May...

VWA managed to buy vehicles from a cancelled European order.
Lennock have at least three petrol versions arriving 1 x 125, and 2 x 147.
Gerald Slaven also have vehicles on the same ship...

but yes I'm considering a Sydney dealer - have spoken to a couple - and I might even get a better overall deal?!?!

I reckon you'd probably get a slightly better deal in Syd, Canberra is generally a rip off for most things as I'm sure you're aware.

The new ones coming must be on same boat as mine :) Due into Pt Kembla on 5th may, should be in Canberra 1-2 weeks after that. Currently half way between Durban and Fremantle.

Transporter
22-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Petrol wont be that more expensive to run over say 15000km/year. Average consumption 103Man = 2l/100km (actually 1.7) better than the 125man so only 300l more used over a year at a cost of $1.50 for 98RON = $450. Thats is less than $40 a month !!!!

I'd rather spend that $450 a year extra and get some performance out of the car.

Chip both of them and the TDI makes 380NM (same bandwidth as before) whereas the TSI makes 410NM (same bandwidth) and then seriously outgrunts the TDI on all aspects.

If I was going to take the car offroad to some extent I'd pick a Forrester, it is superior in all areas that matter for that purpose, however the Tiguan is the better all-round car and that is why I bought it.

I'd rather compare the real life fuel consumption than the one that is advertised.
What is your fuel consumption anyway? Is it fair from what is in the specs.? I bet you it is not spot on or lower. :)
I'd like to keep my cars longer than 2-4 years, so I have to look at some other factors. :)

P.S. I just checked your signature and noticed that you still waiting for your Tig, so you don't know what its fuel consumption is.

auswill
22-04-2009, 02:16 PM
For those negotiating with dealers in Syd, plz let me know how you go and with which dealer. I wanna buy a 147 within a month - but dont really wanna go to a dealer yet coz I already went to alot of them earlier in the year asking about the 147. They all said May/June it would be available.

auswill
22-04-2009, 02:19 PM

Im in NSW - not sure if its same - so its over 5K for on road costs?!

I did mean Park Assist sorry - this will eventually be my wifes car and she cant park for BEEEP :P

Pullstarter
22-04-2009, 05:12 PM
On road costs depend on dealer deliver mainly, rego about $800-ish, stamp duty about $1000-ish, dealer delivery seems to be around $2500-3000 for us mere mortals without fleet discounts etc. :(

Johnno
22-04-2009, 06:40 PM
My brother bought a Tig today from Fivedock in Sydney:
125TSI
Auto
Silver
Comfort
Fog
Sat/Nav
Park Assist
+ trade on a 2001 Astra
$42K on road

Sanman
22-04-2009, 07:48 PM
For those negotiating with dealers in Syd, plz let me know how you go and with which dealer. I wanna buy a 147 within a month - but dont really wanna go to a dealer yet coz I already went to alot of them earlier in the year asking about the 147. They all said May/June it would be available.

Barloworld Mascot were nominated by a car broker to contact me, so I assume they are willing to deal.
I believe all dealers can access VWA's unallocated vehicles and reserve them, so there's little point in going dealer to dealer.
Barloworld dealers can't seem to swap stock between them, oddly, although it may have been an idiot sales guy telling me this.
To get good pricing, you should concentrate on ensuring you are eligible for fleet pricing - requires 1. Your work being registered on VWA's fleet list - no obligation for your work to sign up.
2. You getting a form signed by your work stating you are employee.
For $4000 savings its worth sweet talking the HR lady.

Sanman
22-04-2009, 08:22 PM
The new ones coming must be on same boat as mine :) Due into Pt Kembla on 5th may, should be in Canberra 1-2 weeks after that. Currently half way between Durban and Fremantle.

Pullstarter, how do you track that? I have the vehicle number, and dealer estimate of arrival (another 5 weeks), but would like to verify what they say.

clip
22-04-2009, 08:46 PM
I'd rather compare the real life fuel consumption than the one that is advertised.
Just in case you missed my previous post Transporter:

"Also got fantastic fuel consumption IMO (averaged 7.7l/100k's on the way home from Coffs!), which I find incredible given the weight of the Tig. Worst I got was 10.8 which was a day's driving which included a run up through the ranges. I was expecting a lot worse. Any way I look at it though, to get that sort of economy from a 1700kg turbo petrol engined AWD vehicle, is pretty bloody good IMO."

Of course my everyday real world running sits around the 9.8L/100k's - which is higher than stated, but then given the performance...

auswill
22-04-2009, 08:57 PM
My brother bought a Tig today from Fivedock in Sydney:
125TSI
Auto
Silver
Comfort
Fog
Sat/Nav
Park Assist
+ trade on a 2001 Astra
$42K on road

Thanks for that Johnno. 42K on the road includes the astra?

Transporter
22-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Just in case you missed my previous post Transporter:

"Also got fantastic fuel consumption IMO (averaged 7.7l/100k's on the way home from Coffs!), which I find incredible given the weight of the Tig. Worst I got was 10.8 which was a day's driving which included a run up through the ranges. I was expecting a lot worse. Any way I look at it though, to get that sort of economy from a 1700kg turbo petrol engined AWD vehicle, is pretty bloody good IMO."

Of course my everyday real world running sits around the 9.8L/100k's - which is higher than stated, but then given the performance...

Ok,...Ok,... No need to go to the war.
I'm happy for you that you enjoy your Tig.:)
Look at my garage mate; do you think that I'm a brand person?
I’m not. ….I choose my vehicles on technical grounds and how does it drive rather than an appearance. I'm not saying that Tig is only nice looking and that's the end. The symmetrical drive system, rather than east/west engine configuration and no timing belt to replace that’s what I’m waiting for. The car is for my wife to drive to work and back. Ok that's enough it is VW forum.
I'm not in hurry to buy a car, so I wait when it arrives, I'll drive it and let you know, for now, I'm just lurking around, observing what your experiences with the Tig are. :)

P.S. Your fuel economy figures are impressive but I'd like to see what it would be driving home from work in afternoon peak traffic, bumper to bumper, let me guess 13-15L/100km or worst? You see the diesel still will be using much less fuel under any conditions even in top traffic. The one has to think where is the car going to be used most of the time. Is it mostly longer trips or everyday transport to work and back?

clip
22-04-2009, 10:01 PM
….I choose my vehicles on technical grounds and how does it drive rather than an appearance. The symmetrical drive system, rather than east/west engine configuration and no timing belt to replace that’s what I’m waiting for. The car is for my wife to drive to work and back.
Have you thought of a Suzuki Grand Vitara then? "Symmetrical" drive system rather than east-west configuration, no timing belt, good looking, very easy for the wife to drive to work and back, and would thrash both the Tig and Forester for off road performance.

Transporter
22-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Have you thought of a Suzuki Grand Vitara then? "Symmetrical" drive system rather than east-west configuration, no timing belt, good looking, very easy for the wife to drive to work and back, and would thrash both the Tig and Forester for off road performance.

Drives like truck and doesn't have a very good safety record.

clip
22-04-2009, 10:13 PM
P.S. Your fuel economy figures are impressive but I'd like to see what it would be driving home from work in afternoon peak traffic, bumper to bumper, let me guess 13-15L/100km or worst?
"Of course my everyday real world running sits around the 9.8L/100k's - which is higher than stated..."

But that is mine, and I don't live in a capital city, although I do sit in some bumper to bumper traffic everyday. But that is what I average over the week that includes week day and weekend running. It is my average combined fuel consumption. I thought that was what we were talking about.

Of course it's not going to get anywhere near a diesel, but I don't think that was the point Sharkie was making. It was - I think - what are you prepared to pay for a performance advantage v fuel economy? :)

Pullstarter
22-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Pullstarter, how do you track that? I have the vehicle number, and dealer estimate of arrival (another 5 weeks), but would like to verify what they say.

Go to this link:

https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb/

and put your VIN number in the "Cargo ID" field then click on "track" then click on voyage number (highlighted in red) and it will show you the progress of the ship :)

Sanman
22-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Go to this link:

https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb/

and put your VIN number in the "Cargo ID" field then click on "track" then click on voyage number (highlighted in red) and it will show you the progress of the ship :)

Thanks - sadly, the 6 digit tracking number I was given comes up with a US car delivered in 2008. Perhaps I'd better ask VW again.

Pullstarter
23-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks - sadly, the 6 digit tracking number I was given comes up with a US car delivered in 2008. Perhaps I'd better ask VW again.

All you need to enter is the VIN number in the cargo ID field don't worry about the other fields.

Sharkie
23-04-2009, 07:59 AM
The only advantage a modern diesel has these days over a modern petrol engine is fuel economy. Even then the difference is not as big as imagined.

In all other aspects, performance, power, noise, smoothness & flexibility etc the petrol is superior.

I have a couple of friends with MK5 Golfs at work. 1 with a GTI and 1 with a GT TDI, both DSG. They travel the same distance to work into the Brisbane CBD. The have slightly different drivingstyles (I've been with both in the car) and guess what ...... their average fuel consumption is very similar. Around 8l/100km. The GT driver works his car hard to perform (and has privately confessed he should have bought a GTI) whilst the GTI driver is more relaxed and easygoing.

So yes, driving styles make a difference, point is though, in order for the TDI to stay close to the GTI you have to drive it so much harder and end up with no better fuel economy in the end.

On the open road TDI's will always be more efficient and if that is where the most of your time is spent, it would be the better choice. If, however, you like to drive a bit harder and spend a lot of time in cut-and-thrust traffic, the petrol will be a far better choice.

That said, in January I did a open road trip in the GTI and ended up with 5.8l/100km average fuel consumption which is not that far off a diesel .... :duh: difference is, I had 7000rmin to play with if needed, with a very broad power range far exceeding the narrow diesel powerbands .....

Johnno
23-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks for that Johnno. 42K on the road includes the astra?

Yeah, including the Astra. I think the trade figure was about $5k - but not entirely sure.

Johnno
23-04-2009, 09:32 AM
For anyone thinking about installing a RNS510 post-factory:

I was told that they can be bought and retrofitted by the dealer. However they lose some function such as the rear camera... something about being too difficult to rewire.

On top of that, you're likely to pay the full ticket price for it (through the dealership) plus the labour cost. Good luck to you if you've got the smarts to do it yourself though :)

The other thing that I was told is that in order to have rear sensors, the RNS510 unit has to be fitted ($3500) as well as the Park Assist option ($1400) on top of that. Madness, considering most new cars come with reversing sensors anyway. Please, someone tell me I got bad information?!!

DJY
23-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Johnno

I have also been told - that a SATNAV retro fit - won't get the RVC functionality. ONly way to get the RVC functionality is from a factory fitted SATNAV with RVC.

SATNAV part is listed in the VW computer as $3000 and some dealers then change to have it installed / fitted.

Park Assist - slightly different - it is mostly factory fit - but I've read somewhere that it can be installed after the fact - but is difficult. Park Assist costs would indeed be on top of any SATNAV options. It uses the MFD rather than the display on the head unit of the stereo I've been told.

Dealers will only tell you what they know - or often what is listed in the VWA computer that they can purchase as an accessory. You might have better luck enquiring from a non Dealer but VW specialist centre - and most capital cities have a good one. There are even some members in here who work at such places... so a search through some of the existing threads might yield the information you are seeking. That's what I've been doing a lot in past weeks - and learning heaps!

Sharkie
23-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Speak to Guy Harding @ APR. They are the importers of the RNS510s for retrofit. All the VW dealers use them to bring it in. :duh:

He can probably source it for you and arrange for installation without you having to pay dealers margin on top of his prices.

www.goapr.com.au (http://www.goapr.com.au)

Johnno
23-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Speak to Guy Harding @ APR. They are the importers of the RNS510s for retrofit. All the VW dealers use them to bring it in. :duh:

He can probably source it for you and arrange for installation without you having to pay dealers margin on top of his prices.

www.goapr.com.au (http://www.goapr.com.au)

thanks for the info guys!

Sanman
23-04-2009, 07:33 PM
All you need to enter is the VIN number in the cargo ID field don't worry about the other fields.

Got it, thanks.
SWEDEN 12/03/2009 - UNITED KINGDOM - FRANCE - BELGIUM -U.S.A. - PANAMA - FRENCH POLYNESIA - NEW ZEALAND - BRISBANE AUSTRALIA 01/05/2009
EDIT - found Page 2 of the schedule - MELBOURNE 06MAY09
ANOTHER EDIT - the vehicle offloaded in Brisbane anyway

Nice cruise, I hope it sends postcards.
Due in Melbourne 6 May, customs clearance, PD - I would guess ready for delivery around 15-20 May.

Any way to check the model and options using the VIN?

Pullstarter
23-04-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm expecting mine around then, different ship to yours though. Mine came via Sarth Effrika :)

DJY
23-04-2009, 11:29 PM
is your ship due 7 May Pullstarter?

Pullstarter
24-04-2009, 09:18 AM
is your ship due 7 May Pullstarter?

May 5 in Pt Kembla :)

DJY
24-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Mmm one of the dealers I have been dealing with used the date 7 May...
not sure if that is the date the ship arrives in Aust...
or the date they are expecting delivery!

sigh

Pullstarter
24-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Could be a different ship, I think there's another due at the same time or very close to it.

DJY
24-04-2009, 07:31 PM
I think you are right...
your car is part of the expected ordered vehicles...
the cars one of the local dealers is talking about - is a shipment of cars that VWA managed to secure as a result of some cancelled European orders.

So a benefit of the global financial crisis is Aust gets more Tiguans!

Pullstarter
25-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Gotta be some benefit I guess :)

freddy
27-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I've had enough of VW dealers and their unwillingness to deal. On my first request for a quote on an Audi Q5 the dealer knocked >10% off straight away on a couple of different vehicles (and that's with a vehicle that can be as difficult to source with the right mix of engines & features as a Tiguan, and no nonsense about trying to charge top dollar for a 2008 built vehicle). If I can find one with the options I want it looks like I'll be staying in the VW Australia Group fold but changing brands. Dealers better start playing ball, as I suspect a few more with a bit of flexibility in the budget will soon be switching to Audi.

High-Fidelity
28-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Could be a different ship, I think there's another due at the same time or very close to it.

My Tiguan is due into Pt Kembla on 11 May. Sounds like they've got quite a few shipments coming in at the moment.

Ben.

Pullstarter
28-04-2009, 04:58 PM
My nephew has a view of the Port from his back verandah, I'll get him to keep a look out :spy: :biggrin:

Paragon
28-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah my car has come in about a month earlier than expected also. We got a pretty good deal I think on our 125tsi but dont want to disclose too much until its all done and dusted just in case. But we got a

125tsi
auto
comfort pack
offroad tech
sunroof
foglights
dealer window tint
floormats + bootmat

I expect the car to be on the road with RS4 19s and chipped for a reasonable amount under 45k in about 2 weeks

For me it wasnt worth going to the 147 as I would bin the alloys and chip it regardless and anyways its the wifes car!

DJY
12-05-2009, 10:46 PM
May 5 in Pt Kembla :)

How you holding up mate?
Is this the longest "week or two" of your life?

Sharkie
02-06-2009, 07:46 AM
checked up on my Tig yesterday.

Shipped from Bremen on the 16th of May .... :biggrin:

Due in Brisbane on the 29th of June ..... :)

Dealer expects delivery to happen late July ..... :frown:

Its at least a month early ... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm adding dealer fitted rear sensors for $700 and getting a RCD510 swapped in ......

BTW, Austral VW sold 47 Tigs last month ........ 25% of their total sales for the month .... apparently the advertised "New" Tiguan has customers flooding them ..... waiting list is now out to 6 months on a ordered in Tig.

Arctra
02-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Awesome. Now the clock slows down for you! :biggrin:

I'm adding dealer fitted rear sensors for $700 and getting a RCD510 swopped in ......

Would you mind letting me know how much that's costing you (to get the RNS510 swapped in that is)?

BTW, Austral VW sold 47 Tigs last month ........ 25% of their total sales for the month .... apparently the advertised "New" Tiguan has customers flooding them ..... waiting list is now out to 6 months on a ordered in Tig.

Mine was one of those!!!! I got my folks to go test drive the Tig up in Brissie for me and they said the sales person they dealt with commented on how popular the Tig was... it was basically the only vehicle her particular dealership was managing to move.

With a 6 month waiting list :eek: I'm glad I compromised on my requirements and got one already in the country! Not sure I could have stood waiting that long!

High-Fidelity
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
I pick up my Tig this afternoon... quite exciting.

103 TDI Manual
Deep Black
Comfort Pack
Off Road
Fog Lights
Park Assist
Tow bar

Have got an RNS-510 waiting at home... will install tonight!!

Pullstarter
02-06-2009, 08:55 AM

103 TDI Manual
Deep Black
Comfort Pack
Off Road
Fog Lights
Park Assist
Tow bar

Pics required :)

Sounds like my 2 month wait wasn't so bad then?

High-Fidelity
02-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I've been waiting around 6 weeks. Managed to snag a car that was already on the boat and unallocated. Wasn't really after Park Assist and no cars available with only the options I wanted. Happy to pay the extra for Park Assist rather than wait 5 or so months, plus Park Assist should be a good gimmick to impress friends! :)

It'll be dark when I pick it up, so probably won't be able to grab any pics tonight, but will see what I can organise.

DJY
02-06-2009, 06:11 PM

103 TDI Manual
Deep Black
Comfort Pack
Off Road
Fog Lights
Park Assist
Tow bar

Nice!
Can't wait to hear how your installation goes!!!!
I'd love to upgrade my RCD510 to RNS510!!!!

I would have loved Park Assist - but had the reverse situation to you - I could walk out with a car - that had everything - except park assist.
I really only wanted front and rear sensors - so I'm still hoping I can get a retro fit of front sensors in the future.

Bayman
02-06-2009, 08:30 PM

I'm adding dealer fitted rear sensors for $700 and getting a RCD510 swapped in ......

How much is the dealer charging for the RCD 310 to RCD 510 upgrade? Interested in upgrading mine as Dynaudio wasn't in any Tiguans around when I bought mine. At least I have one now and no wait 6mths is a killer. I bet VW push the margins out to make the most of sales.

tiguan_hunting
02-06-2009, 08:40 PM
How much is the dealer charging for the RCD 310 to RCD 510 upgrade? Interested in upgrading mine as Dynaudio wasn't in any Tiguans around when I bought mine. At least I have one now and no wait 6mths is a killer. I bet VW push the margins out to make the most of sales.
It's $3500 for the RCD510 including Dynaudio

High-Fidelity
02-06-2009, 09:25 PM
The change to the RNS510 is an anti climax I'm afraid. It's insanely easy and took a whole 10 min. Very simple and the results are great. Loaded the maps and it just worked. Will play with VAGCOM tomorrow to see what settings I can change.

Sharkie
03-06-2009, 05:34 AM

They will use a RCD510 from a 147TSI who the owner upgraded to a RNS510 at the dealer. So I'm getting a RCD510 nobody wants for almost nothing ...... price yet to be determined but expected to be only a few hundred $$$ if even that.

DJY
03-06-2009, 08:20 AM
The change to the RNS510 is an anti climax I'm afraid. It's insanely easy and took a whole 10 min. Very simple and the results are great. Loaded the maps and it just worked. Will play with VAGCOM tomorrow to see what settings I can change.

What about changing the aerial?
From the stock one to the sharks fin?

I thought the GPS side of the house used the sharks fin?

BrisGTI
03-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Anyone know how much Bluetooth is for the Tiguan as a option?

DJY
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Anyone know how much Bluetooth is for the Tiguan as a option?

I paid $700 I think from memory.
I'm traveling but can check my invoice when I get home if you like.
$700 is the basic model - allows you to answer and hang up calls via steering wheel - uses hidden mic and speakers.

Works well for me so far with my iPhone 3G - but haven't been able to pair my work Nokia yet.

Bayman
04-06-2009, 03:31 AM
They will use a RCD510 from a 147TSI who the owner upgraded to a RNS510 at the dealer. So I'm getting a RCD510 nobody wants for almost nothing ...... price yet to be determined but expected to be only a few hundred $$$ if even that.

Gee Lucky you, these are many hundreds of dollars on ebay. Any one wishing to flog their RCD 510 let me know.

BrisGTI
04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
I paid $700 I think from memory.
I'm traveling but can check my invoice when I get home if you like.
$700 is the basic model - allows you to answer and hang up calls via steering wheel - uses hidden mic and speakers.

Works well for me so far with my iPhone 3G - but haven't been able to pair my work Nokia yet.

Thanks for that, might have to see if it can still be put on the order.

BrisGTI
05-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Just spoke to the Dealer and they said that the Bluetooth gets installed here in Aus not in the factory.

Anyone else heared different?

DJY
05-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Mine was dealer fitted.

sambucco
06-06-2009, 05:17 AM
I am looking to buy 125 TSI soon,
Not sure if i want the sunroof. Nice and big but worry about the heat/UV.
the salesman did say it is 99%UV filter and minimum difference with the standard one.
Could anyone who has purchased a Tig with a sunroof post some opinion?
Brisbane gets lots of sunshine.

thanks in advance.

Sharkie
06-06-2009, 06:22 AM
the salesman did say it is 99%UV filter and minimum difference with the standard one.

thanks in advance.

I'd get in there and order it sooner rather than later .... 25% of Austral's sales (Brisbane) have been Tiguans lately and the waiting list is out at 6 months now and the 125s are the most popular at the moment.

To get 1 sooner you'd have to take an unallocated 1 (with whatever is on it) on its way already as they have no stock of 125s and even so there are very few unallocated ones left ..... :frown:

Transporter
06-06-2009, 08:23 AM

thanks in advance.

When the car interior is hot and you can actually open the sunroof the heat can escape very quickly when you open the sunroof. So from that point the sunroof is beneficial.

DJY
06-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Not sure if I want the sunroof. Nice and big but worry about the heat/UV...

I initially wasn't fazed about getting the sunroof...
until I test drove a car with one in!!!

WOW
Go check one out if you haven't seen it!
It is huge - and stretches all the way back.
There is tinting on it...
there is an electronic blind that you can use internally to block extra sun.

Whilst I have only had mine for a couple of weeks and it is winter...
I love it!
It makes the Tiguan seem a lot lighter in side...
the tilt on the front half of the glass doesn't open up as much as I would have liked... but when you open the front half - at any of the sections - WOW.
Huge wow factor, and for the few days at work when it was very sunny - I just closed the blind. I'm very glad I got a sunroof in mine!

dogbowl
07-06-2009, 10:28 AM
DJY, I am with you. Actually, I have never found sunroofs particularly interesting. Then I drove a Tiguan with one fitted. Incredible!

It is not really a sunroof, it is actually glass roof extending all the way through. I also think it will help resale.

I am ordering in the next few days, but have been quoted 4-5 months wait.

Pullstarter
07-06-2009, 11:04 AM
That's a pretty normal length waiting period for most orders, you may find something similar either in stock or on the way but you would probably have to compromise with your options/colour choices etc.

dogbowl
07-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I'd rather wait to get the car I want.

Also, MY10 models began production in May, so my order will have the minor MY10 upgrades.

sambucco
07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the comments on my Sunroof question.
I did do a test drive and it is fantastic.

From what everyone is saying, I am pretty sure that it is a very good option to have.
If it is too hot, I might tint it.

The sales reps in bne did mention that the maximum disc they can give is $3.5k off the RRP. M still negotiating.

ta

DJY
07-06-2009, 03:58 PM

From what everyone is saying, I am pretty sure that it is a very good option to have.

The sales reps in bne did mention that the maximum disc they can give is $3.5k off the RRP. M still negotiating.

ta

It already has tinting...
yesterday driving out in the country was a 'brighter' day (sure still winter sun though) and no glare at all. Comes with full UV protection as well I was told.

tiguan_hunting
07-06-2009, 07:06 PM
If you ask around you will find that no one is willing to tint the sunroof. Reason being is that the tint may cause the sunroof to crack. Not sure why but that's what a couple of tinting places have said. This also includes the salesguy from Volkswagen.
But the sunroof comes already tinted blocking out 99.9% of UV.

NZTiguan
08-06-2009, 06:44 AM
If you ask around you will find that no one is willing to tint the sunroof. Reason being is that the tint may cause the sunroof to crack. Not sure why but that's what a couple of tinting places have said. This also includes the salesguy from Volkswagen.
But the sunroof comes already tinted blocking out 99.9% of UV.

I've heard of people getting "extra" tint" on the sunroof in NA (check out Vortex) so I'm certain it's possible if anybody really wants to go down that route.

Cheers

dogbowl
09-06-2009, 11:45 AM

ta
I used a carbroker and they were able to do much better than I was in the dealer. Actually, I picked up the broker's details from this forum.

Bayman
09-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I'd rather wait to get the car I want.

Also, MY10 models began production in May, so my order will have the minor MY10 upgrades.

What to your knowledge are the MY10 upgrades? Seems some MY09 upgrades are more downgrades such as deleting the chrome baggage hooks in the boot. I would guess late 2010 would see a update to the Tiguan range, possibly a 125KW TDI. Either way I took the plunge and totally happy rather than get a MY08 12 mths old fully optioned ex VW Aust Tiguan. I noticed this model had a recall mod indicated by a sticker on the drivers side A pillar.

team_v
16-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Just a heads up for people who are looking at getting a tig with a sunroof.
Please read this thread on Vortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4434852

We had one in our landcruiser was just problem after problem.
(sunroof dropped inside its mounts, tracks clogged up with dust and sunroof wouldn't open, sunroof is unuesabel if it is dirty/wet/raining, metal warping due to the heat in QLD)
It seems now people are starting to realise that they may look nice but are very problematic.

Hopefully this can help a few people who are still deciding on Tig options.

cubes
19-06-2009, 11:03 PM
I have decided to bite the bullet and wait for a MY10 delivery so I get the features I want instaid of scouring the yards around Melbourne for a Tiguan ready to go and trying to score on a deal on what's available.
If ordering from scratch which dealer in Melbourne is likely to give the best deal given that this is not current stock to leverage on?

As a matter of interest I am after a black 125 with only the beige leather and possibly comfort pack and offroad upgrades seeingas wheeels an radio/satnav I can easily handle myself.

DJY
19-06-2009, 11:29 PM
As a matter of interest I am after a black 125 with only the beige leather and possibly comfort pack and offroad upgrades seeingas wheeels an radio/satnav I can easily handle myself.

All the dealers can view current VW stocks across the country, and either in the VW Australia orders on route, as well as other dealers. Might be worth checking out as several dealers regularly swap vehicles!

You wouldn't have to wait for months then!
Congratulations on deciding you want a Tiguan though!

cubes
20-06-2009, 12:38 AM
I have rang a couple of dealers and they have looked up some of the list but not many of the beige leather interiors left for 125s. I would rather go in to a dealership and work out a comparamise from the list if not which one will gbe the most flexible on price?

thewingman
23-06-2009, 07:41 PM
I have rang a couple of dealers and they have looked up some of the list but not many of the beige leather interiors left for 125s. I would rather go in to a dealership and work out a comparamise from the list if not which one will gbe the most flexible on price?
Hello! I'm new, and I just paid my deposit for my new Tiguan 147 tsi, mountain grey, black leather, sunroof, off road technology, 18 inch New York wheels, for the drive away price of $52 500. Pick up next week, so I'm very excited!

Arctra
23-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Hello! I'm new, and I just paid my deposit for my new Tiguan 147 tsi, mountain grey, black leather, sunroof, off road technology, 18 inch New York wheels, for the drive away price of $52 500. Pick up next week, so I'm very excited!

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics. Happy waiting...

Transporter
23-06-2009, 10:20 PM

Congratulations, that is one fast delivery. :)

Dilusi
24-06-2009, 12:01 PM

Sensational! Nice choice

cubes
24-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Another one to bite the bullet, just had a car dealer friend broker me a deal for a Black 125TSi with Beige leather, Comfort Pack, Off-road Technology,Front fog lights with mats thrown in (couldn't sway them for tinting) drive away for $43,000.

Will fit more expensive options myself like the RNS510 fromAuspack with reverse camera and get some 19" Apec S-line wheels with 255/40 tyres.

Unfotunately I will have to wait the designated 4 months :frown:next week delivery would have been nice though:biggrin:

Anyone know how much the bluetooth feature costs, might try to squeeze that in the deal, don't sign till Friday?

vww
25-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi cubes

Sounds like you got the VW Corporate Plus pricing. If you are planning on getting the fog lights, leather and comfort pack, I would suggest spending an extra $3K or so and upgrade to the 147. The 147 gets a few nice extras eg more powerful, 17" wheels, RCD 510, rear sensors, rear tinting, chrome trim, tyre pressure indicator, extra interior lighting, sunglass holder etc. Will also get better resale.

I doubt they will throw in bluetooth (its a $695 option). I would push them to include 3yr VW servicing.

cubes
25-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Sounds like you got the VW Corporate Plus pricing. If you are planning on getting the fog lights, leather and comfort pack, I would suggest spending an extra $3K or so and upgrade to the 147. The 147 gets a few nice extras eg more powerful, 17" wheels, RCD 510, rear sensors, rear tinting, chrome trim, tyre pressure indicator, extra interior lighting, sunglass holder etc. Will also get better resale.

I doubt they will throw in bluetooth (its a $695 option). I would push them to include 3yr VW servicing.

Yeah my friend who brokered the deal was a friend of a realy close friend of the Dealer priciple at the yard so I asked no questions and accepted the great deal thrown on the table, I did consider the 147 and I did like the chrome trim and the RCD510 but I realy wanted the leather which again would have added an extra $3,700.
I have driven all thee engine setups and the 125 was no slouch down low but not as peaky as the 147 and I also realy wanted to fit some 19" whels so the 17"s would have gone to waste as for the RCD510 I can get a fantastic deal on an RNS510 with the reverse camera doing away with the need for parking sensors but I signed up today so a bit late to change my mind.

I rang VW service and parts for some prices and was quoted $495 a bit cheaper than $695 but I don't expect that to be thrown in, will have to check in on the 3 year servicing though.

clip
25-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Will fit more expensive options myself like the RNS510 fromAuspack with reverse camera

Anyone know how much the bluetooth feature costs, might try to squeeze that in the deal, don't sign till Friday?
To my knowledge, Auspack don't sell the RNS510, it is a look a like and is much cheaper. It has bluetooth already and it works really well, as does the sat nav, but the reversing camera is crap and you will need to buy a better qual one if you want that feature. Do a search for AVC9000, Waywell and you will find more info. There are different brands out there that are very similar.

cubes
25-06-2009, 10:11 PM
To my knowledge, Auspack don't sell the RNS510, it is a look a like and is much cheaper. It has bluetooth already and it works really well, as does the sat nav, but the reversing camera is crap and you will need to buy a better qual one if you want that feature. Do a search for AVC9000, Waywell and you will find more info. There are different brands out there that are very similar.
Cool thanks, I was going on the link below which almost looks identical to the RNS510 except for the card slots at the bottom.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/auspacks/productPage12.html
http://members.optusnet.com.au/auspacks/Prod_images/AVC9000-1.gif
Eitherway they are only acouple of suburbs away so I acn check it out and make an eductaed opinion.

Originaly I was only after the RCD510 with the park display which would need the $700 dollar rear sensor upgrade(from what Iunderstand) do you need these rear bumber sensors for a RNS510 if you have a quality reversing camera? Just trying to work out the correct and necessary parts to make either retrofit work properly.

Edit: just did a search and a $!t@d of info came up, looks like I will be reading for weeks throgh all the threads.