PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for the tuners

Jmac
22-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Hey ive got a quickie just to satisfy my curiosity - i remember when the New golf Mk5 came out with the MED9.5.10 and the likes they had a tuning guard watchdog built into the ecu stopping any manipulation or "burn" into the EEPROM. The watch dog would detect this and shut the control unit down making it impossible to start. How you getting round it????? just been a question rolling in my head. This was for EMS Petrol and EDC Diesel. Whats changed??
I remember having this discussion way back at a course but it was early days then.
Cheers
Jmac:)

Guy_H
22-08-2008, 08:24 AM
The answer is simple Jimmy - emulate VW's own flashing protocol & the ECU doesn't know any different!

Treza360
22-08-2008, 04:43 PM
The answer is simple Jimmy - emulate VW's own flashing protocol & the ECU doesn't know any different!
Heh as usual everyone is one step ahead of the copy protection. I don't why the likes of VW and the rest of the IT and entertainment industry bother with this.
Go go the 1337 h4><0r5!!!!!111111one :biggrin:

Jmac
22-08-2008, 06:09 PM
CHeers Guy thats put that to bed. Amn back at that course i quizzed and quizzed them and they were sure this was unflashable, man there always will be a way hey!!!
Jmac:)

Guy_H
25-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Some of them are getting trickier - the new MED17 & EDC17 are different again, with four possible encryption "keys" that were handed out to various VW / Audi departments (that way if a key fell into the wrong hands, they would know where to start to look) - it's taken them a year to get around that without breaking some laws (Re BMW VS AC Scnitzer last year). Its a good challenge for the "electrical engineering" dept at APR :)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3983341

balkanac
26-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Heh as usual everyone is one step ahead of the copy protection. I don't why the likes of VW and the rest of the IT and entertainment industry bother with this.
Go go the 1337 h4><0r5!!!!!111111one :biggrin:

I agree. When DVDs first came out they said it was impossible to copy them. Guess who copied a first one! A 13 year old kid from scandinavia!! :eek: