PDA

View Full Version : VF Engineering SC - VR6

tassie_euro_mk1
21-08-2008, 03:29 PM
hey guys and girls,

This is directed at the guys/girls with the VF Engineering stage 1/2/3 supercharger kits on thier VR6's.

Just wondering how you are finding this 'bolt on' kit? is it worth it?

this is the next step for the Dog, and im just curious as to peoples thoughts and impressions on this kit.

Cheers in advance.
Eric

The_Hawk
21-08-2008, 05:19 PM
AFAIK there is ONE SC VR6 in Australia, although I would love to join the ranks. It's on the cards sometime in the next 12 - 24 months depending on if another baby is also on those cards ;)

As for is it worth it, in my opinion, yes. A Turbo will give more power, but will cost more and will work the engine harder. For a quick jump from 170HP to 250HP the stage 1 kit looks nice and cheap at round $5k installed. add about $1K or so to move to 270HP and stage 2.

For me I think that sort of power in the Mk3 is going to be enough, anything more in power or money and you should really start looking at a Mk4 1.8T or maybe even an R32 base for it's AWD. If only we had the 2.9 Syncro Mk3 :D

tassie_euro_mk1
21-08-2008, 05:44 PM
yea thats exactly right Hawk. Im not in it for huge power gains and braggin kilowatt figures :crazy: :rolleyes:

just something to bump it up to 250-300 and keeping it reliable.

Thats why the stage 1 kit is so appealing. I just want a little more oomph from my VR. And one day I might install an intercooler...

The_Hawk
21-08-2008, 06:04 PM
yea thats exactly right Hawk. Im not in it for huge power gains and braggin kilowatt figures :crazy: :rolleyes:

just something to bump it up to 250-300 and keeping it reliable.

Thats why the stage 1 kit is so appealing. I just want a little more oomph from my VR. And one day I might install an intercooler...

+50% isn't a bad deal if you ask me :D The best part is stage 1 is bolt on and stage two just means a FMIC, some new injectors and a different pulley. Nice and easy upgrade too if you want to do it later.

Jarred
21-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Don't forget though, 300HP in a FWD is alot, and of course you'd want to do various brake and suspension upgrades, to remain safe. (generally)

And while the kit will only cost 5K, (bargain imo) the rest of the stuff could also set you back a few quid.

I reckon 250HP for 5K is pretty good though. Probably get alot more value for money out of an SC kit, that wasting even more to get the same from a NA motor.

summing up, DOOO EETTT! :D

Mischa
21-08-2008, 06:18 PM
why not intercool it from the get-go? its easy power...

tassie_euro_mk1
21-08-2008, 06:36 PM
i think my suspension and brake setup will do for the 250hp. Might go audi TT upgrade if they fit.

I wont be taking it on a track. its just my daily :)

well Mischa thats a good point. stage 1 with intercooler.

I added it to cart in vfengineering.com just to see postage. total and converted to aus is $4100... not bad at all. would there be tax on that tho??
old man is a mechanic so installation is free :biggrin:

Johnny
21-08-2008, 06:45 PM
hey guys and girls,

This is directed at the guys/girls with the VF Engineering stage 1/2/3 supercharger kits on thier VR6's.

Just wondering how you are finding this 'bolt on' kit? is it worth it?

this is the next step for the Dog, and im just curious as to peoples thoughts and impressions on this kit.

Cheers in advance.
Eric

Hey man i like were ur heads at!!!
Im keen on doin summin similar to mine...wot mods have u done to date?

Im bout to do coilovers and major service. Still got stock exhaust tho...

tassie_euro_mk1
21-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey man i like were ur heads at!!!
Im keen on doin summin similar to mine...wot mods have u done to date?

Im bout to do coilovers and major service. Still got stock exhaust tho...

Good stuff with the coilovers mate :)

I bought the car a year ago with most of the mods already done. Koni yellow adjustables with Eibach springs, Eibach front/rear strut braces, remus exhaust, BMC CDA, and being 94' model the brakes have been upgraded to later VR6 288mm brakes. i have a powerchip, which reminds me....do I need a different chip to run with the charger?

powerchip doesnt recommend the chip with chargers.. dont know why.

h100vw
21-08-2008, 07:02 PM
You do need another chip. If you are passing more air through the engine, it will need more fuel or the mixture will be weak and booooom!

I went in a Golf with one of these blowers on when I lived in the UK. I reckon it went like a chipped 8L S3 does but with more tyre smoke!!

Gavin

Treza360
21-08-2008, 07:44 PM
You do need another chip. If you are passing more air through the engine, it will need more fuel or the mixture will be weak and booooom!
I went in a Golf with one of these blowers on when I lived in the UK. I reckon it went like a chipped 8L S3 does but with more tyre smoke!!
Gavin
If I'm correct, don't Giac support the VF kits?

Also remember that the VF SC kits are made for the US spec vehicles. The dude on here with the kit on his R32 had to modify at least some of the pipework to get it to fit his car as well as having to reinstall it several times to get it right.
I'm not sure how much work would be involved with the VR6 to get it installed and reliable. But sure as hell I'm not going to tell you not to do it.
Do it! :biggrin::driver:

Cheers,
Trent

peedman
21-08-2008, 08:27 PM
VF sell non-us kit too so its no probs. Unfortunately its all been talk on this forum, someone should go buy one and let us know how they go.

Bug_racer
21-08-2008, 11:29 PM
There are a few things that you should do before considering a supercharger .

The power is obviously going to substancially increase so your going to have to make sure your engine is in good working order , Compression must be good as well as the leads , coilpack etc . The clutch must be fairly new otherwise its just gonna slip . Id highly recommend an lsd in an 02a as a minimum , for the stage 1 and 2 the stock clutch should be strong enough but the stage 3 will probably need something stronger . Also looking at the website the stage 3 is the one that gets the intercooler . I ran by some numbers with the fabricator and its cheaper just to buy the kit that to get the cooler done locally .

Courtneys car will be basically be running a stage 3+ kit with a 2.9l engine and stand alone . Gearbox was meant to be an 01m auto but the expense is not justified so its a toss up between 02a and 02m , just finding out how well the 02a will cope with the power increase , if it wont then I'll use the 02m I have . Car is running extractors and a full exhaust . The intake manifold will be standard using a Corrado throttle body and no more MAF , instead being replaced by a map sensor . Car will retain A/C , power steer and all creature comforts . Everything is being changed , wheel bearings , brakes , coilovers , heater core , window regs , even the steering wheel ! The cost , well , through the roof . Power Im hoping will be about 300whp given that it will get slightly larger displacement , cams , headwork and full exhaust . Also comparing to the US base figure of around 250whp on their 91 octane (its like our 95 ) Im pretty sure it could be achieved . I guess we will see next dyno day :)

On a final note , just remember that what you see in the US for $3500 will end up being a lot more than that by the time you land it , fit it and have it all tuned for local conditions .

Johnny
22-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Good stuff with the coilovers mate :)

I bought the car a year ago with most of the mods already done. Koni yellow adjustables with Eibach springs, Eibach front/rear strut braces, remus exhaust, BMC CDA, and being 94' model the brakes have been upgraded to later VR6 288mm brakes. i have a powerchip, which reminds me....do I need a different chip to run with the charger?

powerchip doesnt recommend the chip with chargers.. dont know why.

Wow sounds like a nice ride!!!
Ive only had mine for a few months...fingers crossed tax return is good this yr so i can sponser myself!! :smile:

mk1turbo79
22-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Yes there would be import tax, it come to about 1000 if i remember correctly.

Stage 2 dosn't get the intercooler, and dosn't really need it at 8psi.

There is most definatly for than 1 in australia.

I have told a few people that were interested in my kit, that they should look at getting some metal piping made up because the plastic pipes in the kit are not reliable.

vwthunder
22-08-2008, 10:57 PM
You made a post a while ago about how you were going to ditch the charger, and go turbo, have you done it yet, details, pics

Did you have problems with belt slip?

Cheers

mk1turbo79
24-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Everyone goes on about belt slip, but i never had any problems with belt slip, just those plastic pipes.

Yes i have got the turbo setup up and running, just doing the bedin on the new engine, so no pics or details yet, but rhey are coming soon. Still have to do about 2000ks before i can go and do the full tune.

Shteifen
05-10-2008, 09:10 PM
there's a guy in newzealand whos got a S/C for his too, he's pretty sure he's the only one over there. he's had belt slip problems. ya thats pretty much all my input...S/C FTW

-steve

KI11Z
06-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Everyone goes on about belt slip, but i never had any problems with belt slip, just those plastic pipes.

Yes i have got the turbo setup up and running, just doing the bedin on the new engine, so no pics or details yet, but rhey are coming soon. Still have to do about 2000ks before i can go and do the full tune.

way more info wanted :biggrin:

Sean@VF
18-10-2008, 02:57 AM
Superchargers are the best bang for your $$$. You simply can not get the power added any cheaper or more reliably.

Most belt slippage is directly related to install. The can be avoided by tensioning the belt correctly for break-in and then check after 500 miles.

:)
-Sean

bsting
18-10-2008, 05:17 AM
If it helps,Flic a pm to 'gti vr6' he's got the VF blower fitted to the 2.9 over here in nz
And another has the VF SC fitted to a mk4 24v bora

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=15407