PDA

View Full Version : Overfuelling. Help Me

Golf Loon
25-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Ok am trying to get this golf engine to kick over. Has good spark. Has petrol. Spins but wont start, then gets slower and slower. Battery I thought, put it on recharge.

12 hours later, starter barely spins the engine and it stinks of petrol. But there is no petrol in the filter, says my brother in law. Thanks Pete.

Put some petty in and look in the carby, it is full to the brim. So presumeably are the cylinders. A check on the oil reveals that it reeks of petrol. Glad it didn`t spark now!

OK, so I rebuilt the carby and freed up the petrol inlet cutoff. I should explain that this is a strange carby from South Africa and that the car has electric fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. Petrol seems to be stopping at the cuttoff, but there still seems to be a constant trickle into the other chamber of the carb when the fuel pump is on. Is this the idle jet, Or do I need to take the carby apart again?

Drained the oil, which stank bad and had gained a litre or two! and took the plugs out (they were wet and petrolly). Feeling a bit lightheaded, i came in for the night.

Hopefully the morn will see it working, but if anyone has any helpful hints, let me know.

imported_brackie
26-07-2005, 06:33 AM
This is a vintage reply, but is fuel level controlled by a needle valve? Is it sticking open? (Haven't had a carby car for a hell of a long time!)

Belgianwaffler
26-07-2005, 10:30 AM
on an other note ...does it have a fuel return line (carby) or is like ours where you have a "T" piece for the fuel to go back to the tank ... is there any blockage on the return line or if the carby has a return line built in do you have the right line connected to the "in" and "out" ...etc
and of course like mentioned above the carby could be dry from storage and may need servicing ...

Roscoe
26-07-2005, 05:37 PM
If there is fuel trickeling down the venturi it has nothing to do with the jets it is the float chamber flooding. You need to check that the needle valve is clean and not leaking, the float level is correct, the float hasn't got fuel in it (they sometimes get a little hole in them and sink!) and that the fuel pressure from the electric pump isn't too high. I would say 4-5 psi maximum. If there is fuel in the carby you should be able to block off the fuel supply and start the engine, it should run until the fuel level in the float chamber drops. If it has wet the spark plugs stick a new set in it.

DVR68U
26-07-2005, 11:19 PM
hey man did u check to see what the pressure reg was set at ? if it is to high sometimes it can just force its way past the float needle , u can check the needle to see if it stops the fuel by blowin in the fuel inlet and gently liftin up the float . if the float goes all the way up and doesnt stop it then u gotta adjust it buy bending it or some times the needle itself can get worn out , then u need a replacement . the other thing is that the float can be gettin stuck in the bowl so that it doesnt stop the fuel , u gotta be carefull when u put then back together so u dont catch it on the edge/bowl.
any way looney if this dont make much sense give me a call and ill explain it more . ps had these probs with my old beetle's lol :P
cheers brenton good luck

Golf Loon
27-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys. The float chamber was indeed flooding. The needle valve that blocks off the petrol inlet had fallen into the chamber. Thus too much fuel. Put it all back together runs like a champion. I think is has been overfuelling to some extent for a while, as it breathes better now and uses heaps less petrol. :lol:

Thanks for your help guys, good to see there really is such a knowledge bese here. 8)