PDA

View Full Version : Rubber maintenance

rayray086
16-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Been googling for products that can help prolong the life of and/or protect rubber items on our cars (seals, door gaskets etc). I came up with "Gummi Pflege" (http://www.z3bimmer.com/OffTopic/E24Bimmer/Gummi/) and a search through eBay.de came up with lots of products. I tried a similar search on our local eBay but found zilch.

A few more random searches netted me products from Autoglym (Vinyl and Rubber Care (http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product-proddetail.asp?v06VQ=HE&Range=1)) and Meguiars (Flagship Premium Vinyl and Rubber Protectant (http://www.meguiars.com.au/productdetail_2006.php?seq=14&search=yes&show=) and Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant (http://www.meguiars.com.au/productdetail_2006.php?seq=112&search=yes&show=)). I speculate that these products are more interested in keeping things temporarily shiny rather than help prevent rubber from drying and crumbling. If anyone has used any of the above products or know of a product exactly like Gummi Pflege, let us know!

DMS_Dan
16-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Gummi Pfleg is good from everything ive read but ive never tried it. From my experience 303 aerospace protectant is the stuff to use. It penetrates into the rubber. It contains UVA and UVb blockers so stops drying out and fading. It can be used to stop your plastic bumpers fading, in the engine on rubber hoses and plastic covers, on the dash to protect it and prevent cracking even on your tyres as a nice low sheen long lasting dressing (bit expensive for that though) Other alternatives are Lexol Vinalex. It does similar things to 303 but i find it much harder to apply and i dont think it looks as good as 303.

Dan

rayray086
17-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Fantastic! It's great to have a resident detailer :bigok:

Would you happen to stock the 303 Dan?

OEM G60
17-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Fantastic! It's great to have a resident detailer :bigok:

Would you happen to stock the 303 Dan?

X2 Where can we find these products

Group buy ???

No457 Snowy
18-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Mate, I've used the Meguiars Natural Shine Vinyl and Rubber Protectant you posted and it's pretty decent stuff, you can pick it up almost anywhere like Supa-Cheap. Seems to penetrate into the dash etc. and doesn't leave that greasy film like some do, it's got the UV protection as well.

Cheers,

Snowy. :)

Bubu
18-08-2008, 05:17 PM
I also want something for the preservation of the rubber seals on the car.

I want something that wont damage paint. Many of the rubber trims seal directly to the metal (painted) body of the car. Therefore it needs to be paint friendly.

DMS_Dan
18-08-2008, 06:16 PM
get it from www.carcareproducts.com.au They have various sizes and ship direct to your door.

rayray086
18-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys :bigok:

WEDEL.1
06-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I've used Meguiars Foam for the interior. It works well + no overspray.

Maris

Oneofthegreats
06-10-2008, 03:54 PM
The Gummi-Pflege is great stuff.

When I worked for BMW we use to use it more to combat rattle's & creak's. It's also greasy & doesn't mind attracting the dust & grime.

Keep it well away from window seal's, as you'll never get rid of it & the glass will keep getting smeared!

But what we use to use at every service (was part of the scedule) was Wurth Silicone Spray.

http://www.wurth.com.au/catalogueview.asp?pdf=A06_0065.pdf

Absolutely awesome stuff.

Not exactly cheap, but well worth it IMHO & I still use it on my own car's.

Spray it on a clean rag & wipe/work it into the seal's.

Once we started to use this at every service (once the owner's were talked into buying it!) the rate of torn door seal's went down quite dramatically.

The other stuff mentioned like the Autoglym & Meguiars product's which I've used on my own car's, are more a shot term/look's clean product.

rayray086
06-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Excellent addition Tim :bigok: exactly the type of stuff I was looking for!

gavs
18-10-2008, 08:03 AM
303 Aerospace protectant can be bought from Autobarn also.

In regards to golfworx's post, Dan can probably clear this up better than anyone, but i've always been informed to never use silicone based products, something i follow religiously.
Why? Any product that contains silicone or it's evil cousin, silica, draws moisture out of what it's being applied to. I think the reason that the rate of torn door seals dropped is due to the super slippery finish the silicone put on top of the seal to lubricate it and make it shiny, whereas like Dan said, 303 penetrates the surface, as you can see after a few applications on some tired rubber, watching the deep black colour come back to it.

If i'm wrong, please feel free to let me know, as i'm only going off what i've been told and my own personal experience with a cracked dash. Damn You Armoural!!!!

DMS_Dan
18-10-2008, 05:30 PM
303 Aerospace protectant can be bought from Autobarn also.

In regards to golfworx's post, Dan can probably clear this up better than anyone, but i've always been informed to never use silicone based products, something i follow religiously.
Why? Any product that contains silicone or it's evil cousin, silica, draws moisture out of what it's being applied to. I think the reason that the rate of torn door seals dropped is due to the super slippery finish the silicone put on top of the seal to lubricate it and make it shiny, whereas like Dan said, 303 penetrates the surface, as you can see after a few applications on some tired rubber, watching the deep black colour come back to it.

If i'm wrong, please feel free to let me know, as i'm only going off what i've been told and my own personal experience with a cracked dash. Damn You Armoural!!!!

Spot on Gavs i forgot about this thread. The seals will go downhill in a bad way once the silicon stops being applied. The main difference between the two is that the 303 or Gummi-Pflege or vinalex is conditioning the rubbers, penetrating into it, its almost like moisturising it. The silicon is just coating the surface. It will also cause problems if there needs to be panel work donw. It is much harder to prep the surface

Preen59
18-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Wurth does however make a rubber conditioner. Comes in a small pressure pack. I've had good dealings with it. Cleans penetrates and renews quite well. :)

WEDEL.1
19-10-2008, 07:24 AM
I've got a bottle of (or 3/4) of Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer. Anyone else tried that?

Maris

Oneofthegreats
19-10-2008, 10:47 AM
I think the reason that the rate of torn door seals dropped is due to the super slippery finish the silicone put on top of the seal to lubricate it and make it shiny

Just to clear something up, we didn't spray it on.

We soak a cloth with the spray & then rub it into the seal. Doesn't leave the seal shiny either.

But each to there own.

What ever work's for you I suppose.

This worked for us & got the warranty claim's down too!

Like I said about the using the Gummi-Pflege is that it is greasy & attract's dirt & dust. It's not crap & is good stuff ,but it still has it's uses though for other thing's.

Nothing worse than getting into your car wearing nice clean clothe's & then scuffing the seal & wearing a black, greasy smear to go along with it!

WEDEL.1
19-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Tried the Meguiars today, definately made it blacker, and looks water repelant. As to whether it penetrates???

Maris

DMS_Dan
20-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Tried the Meguiars today, definately made it blacker, and looks water repelant. As to whether it penetrates???

Maris

I tested this product. Its just a dressing. It sits on the surface and it ran horribly in the rain. On my white car i had streaks down the paint where i used it. Durability was about a week when there was no rain