PDA

View Full Version : Any Audi Allroad owners on here?

Pullstarter
16-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Hey Guys,
Have been looking at the Audi Allroad C5 Bi-Turbos MY2001-ish. Anyone on here have one? Interested to hear some opinions on these as I need something to get mountain bikes in and that can handle dirt roads without getting upset (like the VR6 does).

Cheers
Simon

Jmac
16-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Havent got one mate but worked on plenty, generally good . They had some trouble with the Airbag Susp but mostly ironed out now.
Cheers
JMac

Pullstarter
17-08-2008, 10:50 AM
So they have adjustable ride height with that suspension setup?

auditwmba
20-08-2008, 11:13 AM
We have a 2005 Allroad - a 2.5 TDi version.

Jmac is correct - these cars suffer from suspension woes. However, regular cleaning at full height seems to help.

Otherwise the Allroad also has the default Audi suspension issues of tie-rod ends and suspension bushes - suspension clunks are worth following up quickly. Air conditioning and the DIS is problematical as well.

Tyre can be a pain - finding something decent with the correct load and speed ratings can be difficult.

Not trying to shoot your enthusiasm down - we decided to buy an Allroad after an A4 Avant and 80 quattro and haven't regreted the decision yet. It is a handy car, good to drive, easy (relatively) on fuel (it is a heavy car) and looks good. Try for the newest version you can afford, have it checked thoroughly by an Audi techo and (if possible) get a warranty.

Good luck

Rob

Pullstarter
20-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks Rob,
The ones I've been looking at are around 2001-2 models, can't really stretch the budget any further than that :( Thanks for the info all good stuff :)

99gti
20-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Hmm, could you rip out the air suspension and fit coilovers?

DUB 20V
20-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Hmm, could you rip out the air suspension and fit coilovers?

can be done there is a thread on vortex but then you rhow alot of codes cause the bage are ecu controlled:brutal:

auditwmba
21-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Yes, it is common practice in certain overseas countries to replace the air suspension with expensive coil-over units.

Perhaps, with the benefit of hindsight, the purchase of an A6 quattro Avant instead of an Allroad would have saved someone heaps of cash.

Best advice is to go in with your eyes open, ask to see maintenance history and have the car thoroughly by an expert.

Good luck

Rob

Pullstarter
21-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys,
I like the idea of the adjustable ride height as we do a bit of fire trail bashing, the fix ups sound expensive tho :(