PDA

View Full Version : Tint & underbonnet insulator (1.8T)

brad
16-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Had the windows tinted on the Octavia on Thursday. Looks quite good. Will post pics if the sun comes out & swmbo moves her car out of the driveway.

Also got the underbonnet sound absorber pad. 4 weeks from order to delivery.
For those of you with 1.8Ts the part# is 1Z0863831. The clips are a separate partno. Fitting takes 10 minutes if you have 10 left thumbs & are blind. If nothing else, it makes the underbonnet area look more "finished".

I was concerned that the pad may have been deleted from the 1.8T specification because of clearance issues between the MAF connector & the bonnet but even after fitment there is 50mm clearance. If it does look like touching then I'll get a 50mm wad punch and knock a hole in the pad.

I have no idea what difference it makes - haven't even started the car since fitting it (barely use the Octavia on the weekends).

JAZ_RS
19-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Had the windows tinted on the Octavia on Thursday. Looks quite good. Will post pics if the sun comes out & swmbo moves her car out of the driveway.

Also got the underbonnet sound absorber pad. For those of you with 1.8Ts the part# is 1Z0863831. If nothing else, it makes the underbonnet area look more "finished".
Hi Brad,
Do you have any pics yet of the underbonnet insulator, and do you know if this would fit an RS?
My first impressions when looking under the bonnet was they left it off...

brad
19-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi Brad,
Do you have any pics yet of the underbonnet insulator, and do you know if this would fit an RS?
My first impressions when looking under the bonnet was they left it off...

Never took photos. It looks like a TDI underbonnet. Should fit the RS just fine.

It's actually a heat insulator to help the diesels get up to normal operating temperature quicker. Probably a good thing if your petrol engine tends to do short suburban trips

I haven't noticed anything detrimental from it but have nothing to compare it to. I wouldn't take it off though.

onyertod
20-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Dealer suggested tint would look good on my white wagon and offered it free as a sweetner so it was a no brainer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oor_wullie/4210132351/sizes/l

I thought about the underbonnet soundproofing / insulator but decided that as we are moving to coastal Qld, a turbo petrol engine might just be better off without it.