PDA

View Full Version : 3M system

vinderliker
14-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey DMS Dan what do you think of the 3M system?
James

VR6child
14-08-2008, 07:16 PM
what is that, out of curiosity?

vinderliker
15-08-2008, 08:57 AM
It is a cut and polish system brought out by 3m. You have foam buffing pads that are used for specific grades of cutting and polishing via a variable speed buffer. I first used around 12 years when I had a paint repair and detailing business, and found the results were pretty good. I still have some of the polishing product left over and have been using it on the Little Beastie, with the exception of the buffer which I no longer have but want to get another one as the car has some scratchers only a buffer will get out. I will get a cheap Ryobi one, one day, but I won't be able to afford the pad system, so I will just use the lambs polish pad that comes with the buffer and be very careful and clean the lambs wool after each stage. Just lucky the Little Beastie is white and has no oxidised paint, so all should be Ok.

DMS_Dan
15-08-2008, 02:37 PM
The lambs wool will most likely be to harsh. Foam buffing pads are only $30 each. Get some edge pads, the 3m ones i have seen are expensive. Ive used some of their polish, the ultrafina, it dodnt give as good results an menzerna but if you already have some then it would be fine to finish off rather than buying new stuff

vinderliker
16-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks Dan, unfortunately I am on a tight budget, and the paint on the Little Beastie is quite old, but not original. I have severe paint cracking on the boot and rear end which will have to be removed and repainted. It's just another thing on my list of to do's if I ever get the spare cash. At the moment keeping the car on the road, serviced and reliable is my priority, and the detailing side is when I can afford to wash it (water restrictions) and a to try to keep up the wax. I do wish I could get the polisher as the scratches on the roof have been annoying me for ages and they won't come off by hand buffing.