PDA

View Full Version : Recaros Into MK3 Golf

Lorenz
11-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Hey guys,
Im looking at getting a pair of aftermarket Recaros for the Golf pretty soon, but not sure what the best bet would be with the rails and bolting them to the floor?
Would it be best to modify the existing rails (will grab a spare pair) or is there an easier off the shelf bolt in rail I can get?
Cheers for any help
Lorenz

Tim
11-08-2008, 11:00 PM
if you have a spare money tree recaro make rails to suit their aftermarket seats

Lorenz
11-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Hmmm, so it seems they do hey! 100 quid a pop though before shipping :(

These are the seats, same centre fabric design aswell so will match the wack mk3 interior quite well me thinks :)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/08/recaro_sr2-1.jpg

h100vw
11-08-2008, 11:08 PM
My advice is go for the correct subframes. Got to be some available on ebay. I know for sure that demontweeks do them and I don't reckon they were that much in the scheme of things.

Bolting stuff to the floor doesn't cut it with me.

Gavin

Golf Houso
11-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Hmmm, so it seems they do hey! 100 quid a pop though before shipping :(

These are the seats, same centre fabric design aswell so will match the wack mk3 interior quite well me thinks :)

Have you considering getting just a pair of VR fronts, or better yet a pair of GTI seats from a Jap imported wreck, I've seen them in a VR6 and they're awesome :biggrin:

I'm gonna hit up some wreckers for VR fronts anyway, I've driven a VR albeit an auto but the seats were tremendously better than the GL spec benches...

Lorenz
11-08-2008, 11:21 PM
My advice is go for the correct subframes. Got to be some available on ebay. I know for sure that demontweeks do them and I don't reckon they were that much in the scheme of things.

Bolting stuff to the floor doesn't cut it with me.

Gavin

I wouldnt bolt them to the floor thats for sure, deffinately not safe enough for my liking! If I can find some spare stock rails I can get them modified to fit the seats, but finding the rails appears to be difficult around Adelaide!

Ill check out demontweeks and see what they have to offer :)

I thought about getting some stock VR seats, but I love these seats too much. Comfiest seats ever for daily and track use and they are damn cheap hehe, plus Id like to do something a little different

Lorenz
11-08-2008, 11:27 PM
The ones on demontweeks appear to be for Sparco and OMP seats only, not Recaro, unless Ive missed something else. Did seem pretty cheap though, around the 30-50 quid mark

rayray086
11-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Would it be difficult to engineer them, if you modify the Mk3 rails yourself? I'm thinking the best way is to weld them on to the stock rails so you still have that sliding adjustment... but having said that, I have no idea how difficult it is.

Here's a link - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1834140 --> Some info on Corbeau seats. More info on their brackets here http://soloracer.com/corbeaubracket.html

I suppose that's only helpful if you're looking into Corbeaus though... search on Vortex anyway... I came up with quite a few topics for "aftermarket seats" in the Mk3 Archived section.

intensem1
12-08-2008, 12:07 AM
I can arrange, genunie MK3 gti recaros, with rails etc. Not cheap but would be legal.

Pullstarter
12-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I installed Cobra seats in mine James and went with the Cobra tailor made frames, cost me about $400 for the subframes but well worth it IMO. Not only are they ADR approved they are also a bolt in job, no stuffing around, and most of all they're SAFE.

Lorenz
12-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah I was going to ask you about your seats Pullstarter. Do you have any pics of the subframes by any chance?

And on another note, how the hell does everyone know my first name? :?

V®6
12-08-2008, 10:17 PM
And on another note, how the hell does everyone know my first name? :?

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=9743

First line matey :biggrin: :biggrin:

Treza360
12-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I installed Cobra seats in mine James and went with the Cobra tailor made frames, cost me about $400 for the subframes but well worth it IMO. Not only are they ADR approved they are also a bolt in job, no stuffing around, and most of all they're SAFE.
I must say I'm more impressed with the lovely handbag you have there. It matches the car very nicely. j:
Oh and the seats aren't to shabby either. :)

Pullstarter
14-08-2008, 08:46 PM
I must say I'm more impressed with the lovely handbag you have there. It matches the car very nicely. j:
Oh and the seats aren't to shabby either. :)

I'll have you know that's a Prada bag sweety!! :biggrin:

Sorry James no pics of the subframes, they bolt into the standard rails etc and have separate sliders which fit onto the top of the subframe. Were a bit of a pain to install, was quite a bit of fiddling involved but all good in the end. Very happy with them :)

Gigitt
04-11-2008, 06:51 PM
I fitted Recaro's into my Mk3.
I bought the Recaro Rails/Frames from Roman Autotek many yeatrs ago.
Cost me an arm and a leg for the pair of rails... something like $250 each.
They are ADR approved etc.

The Recaro frames slide just like the originals... but the down side is that you loose lever height adjustment and the convenient side pocket of the Mk3 seats.
The rails have a tab on the front and back with 3-4 holes so you can adjust the height or rake of the seat by bolting the seat into a new position... so is set it and forget it till you get you sockets out again for a change.