PDA

View Full Version : Wiring loom

rayray086
12-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Hi everyone at VW Watercooled Australia.

I own a 1996 Golf GL 2.0L and have recently bought an aftermarket head unit and speakers. I'm just wondering, what/where's the best/cheapest place to buy one when I'm located in western Sydney? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ray.

smithy010
12-09-2006, 05:12 PM
You want wiring for the head unit and speakers?

Use the old wiring- and install speaker cables... or pay someone who does sound system installations to do it.

Strathfield car audio does it.

Golf Loon
12-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Where are you in Sydney? I`m near Campbelltown, at Camden. I can help you if you like. 0423051737

rayray086
12-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Oh, sorry for the unclear post... I was looking for a wiring loom for the head unit; I had someone told me that in order to fit aftermarket head units, you need a different wiring loom to fit it in? Is this true, or can I just use the one already in the car, as smithy010 mentions? Speaker cables I have as they were supplied with the speakers.

Thanks for the offer Golf Loon, though I'm gonna try it myself first :)

Golf Loon
12-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Depends what wiring you have behind the dash. I usually splice the connector given to you with your new head unit into the factory loom. Use cable crimpers to do a neat job. The hardest bit will be getting your old stereo out. ;)

rayray086
17-09-2006, 05:30 PM
I just want to use a wiring harness so it's easier to connect (I'm new to this) and can make reinstalling the factory stereo less of a fuss too (so I heard). So I've settled on getting a harness.

I was able to find the harness I was looking for; Aerpro seems to supply them. I've yet to order one though but will soon.

As with removing the factory stereo out... Any tips?? Your little comment got to me a bit :rolleyes: I want to do this with as little trouble as possible so any help is appreciated.

I might start off by asking about this:

My new Clarion head unit came with these tools (see in attachment) which are used to remove the Clarions when I want to replace it. Now, the factory VW stereo has these two slots on the sides. I haven't tried shoving those things in to see if they will remove that way cos I don't want to incur any damage, knowing that the tools came with the Clarions and not the factory stereo. If anyone knows, would I be able to use those tools to remove the factory piece?

Thanks.

BL33SU
17-09-2006, 05:41 PM
we just installed a deck into a vr6 last nite, and for sumreason it came with a wiring harness. so the eurovox decks r like aftermarkets coz the original harness behind the deck was a blaupunkt and we actually bought a blaupunkt deck and connect straightup.

we were abit confused at first coz the colours were different and then we found out it was a harness, and then we saw the original plug at d bak..

DUBING
17-09-2006, 08:07 PM
I just want to use a wiring harness so it's easier to connect (I'm new to this) and can make reinstalling the factory stereo less of a fuss too (so I heard). So I've settled on getting a harness.

I was able to find the harness I was looking for; Aerpro seems to supply them. I've yet to order one though but will soon.

As with removing the factory stereo out... Any tips?? Your little comment got to me a bit :rolleyes: I want to do this with as little trouble as possible so any help is appreciated.

I might start off by asking about this:

My new Clarion head unit came with these tools (see in attachment) which are used to remove the Clarions when I want to replace it. Now, the factory VW stereo has these two slots on the sides. I haven't tried shoving those things in to see if they will remove that way cos I don't want to incur any damage, knowing that the tools came with the Clarions and not the factory stereo. If anyone knows, would I be able to use those tools to remove the factory piece?

Thanks.

what dahh... that radio looks like a commodore VS radio.. my one in the Vr6 looks different... I have two holes on each side, where i place two little pieces of metal and pull the unit out…

rayray086
17-09-2006, 11:46 PM
we just installed a deck into a vr6 last nite, and for sumreason it came with a wiring harness. so the eurovox decks r like aftermarkets coz the original harness behind the deck was a blaupunkt and we actually bought a blaupunkt deck and connect straightup.

we were abit confused at first coz the colours were different and then we found out it was a harness, and then we saw the original plug at d bak..

Hmm, maybe I should have a look at mine first before committing to buy... cos at the moment, the guys I'm planning to order from are saying it may cost me 40 or so odd $$ to get one in for me, and if that is the case (they're gonna ring me tomorrow), then I'm not gonna bother getting one.

By the way, how did you go with taking the factory unit out?

what dahh... that radio looks like a commodore VS radio.. my one in the Vr6 looks different... I have two holes on each side, where i place two little pieces of metal and pull the unit out…

I dont know what the VS factory unit looks like, but I'm guessing all factory radios look more or less the same (i.e. black plastic bits :?).

I'll probably try the same too... lodging the metal bits that came with my head unit and putting it in those slots. Will try tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies guys.

BL33SU
17-09-2006, 11:50 PM
i'm not sure how to take the factory unit out.. it was DUBBING's car that we did and he pulled it out.

according to those VW sites/forums, the factory plug fits all blaupunkt aftermarket decks.

so if you dont want to go to all d trouble of taping to the wires or buying pioneer to stock harnesses etc.. jst buy a nice blaupunkt headunit.

rayray086
18-09-2006, 07:10 AM
so if you dont want to go to all d trouble of taping to the wires or buying pioneer to stock harnesses etc.. jst buy a nice blaupunkt headunit.

Damn. Too late for now though. I guess I'll be going for the harness. Still adhering to the price limit though - I'm aiming to spend as little as possible.

Thanks.

qsilverza
12-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi,

I had my wiring harness adapter from my commodore which just happened to work... both blaupunkt head-units.

Basically I had a product from Aerpro which takes the factory wiring and gives you something to plug into from your headunit connector which you can buy from them as well.

Soundofav6
12-05-2008, 09:02 PM
lol 2 years later...

Golf Loon
12-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Rays first post :)

Soundofav6
12-05-2008, 09:11 PM
lol ... wait till he see this.

You wrote on my first post too Matt. :)

rayray086
12-05-2008, 09:33 PM
HAHAHA it was hey! Knew ****-all about cars back then, though I have a better idea now :D

qsilverza, I was looking for that Aerpro harness back then, but can never find it! I ended up forking out $60 for "professionals" to do it, though in hindsight and out of confidence now I can say I could've did it myself either by trial and error or a set of wiring diagrams.

Edit: 1.5 years and 3000 posts ago :o

Lorenz
12-05-2008, 11:02 PM
You whore Ray!

rayray086
12-05-2008, 11:53 PM
You whore Ray!

You'll get there some day HAHA