PDA

View Full Version : Seat Ibeza diesel?

dalderton
07-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Can anyone tell me if it would be feasable to put a 1.5 Mk1 diesel motor into an Ibeza with or without the Ibeza gearbox. I have an almost new motor and would like to give it a whirl.I also have a Mk1GLD which I am very fond of and the other option is to put the motor in it as its original engine is a bit tired.Interestingly the good motor was originally bought as a spare part and has no engine number. I would be interested to hear any thoughts.
Regards Dennis

Tim
07-08-2008, 06:24 PM
id say you might have fun getting such an old engine roadworthy in a car as new as the ibiza

Jarred
07-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Chances are, it'll "fit" in, but I'm not sure about all the other things.

Some one on here just did a swap into a mk 1 cabby, so, I dare say it's a very possible swap.

I would hedge a bet, that i'd be pretty slow though, being a 1.5 it'll be gutless in a heavier car. Pop it the mk 1 i reckon.

Odd not having an engine number though :?

Brom
07-08-2008, 08:46 PM
As far as i know it'll fit straight in pretty painlessly.

Legally in NSW to get it registered you'll need an engineering certificate to put an older engine in a newer car. Hence mines registered in ACT where they told me to rev the engine, no smoke = pass on emmissions requirements.

If your going to mess around with the cost of an engineering cert buy Loons 1.9 TDI and sell me the 1.5 :nana:

dalderton
08-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Actually I dont consider the 1.5 as gutless and they are very smooth little thing.I just fancy something different and perhaps with better ventilation etc. I just need an el cheapo Ibeza with a blown motor (a bit unlikely but who knows.) Regards Dennis.

Golf Loon
10-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Hi Dennis
You would use the 1.5 Diesel engine and a 4 or 5 speed box from a 1.8 or 2L Golf.
All the mounts would bolt up and use Cordoba driveshafts.
I`d like to see someone do this conversion.

If it has no number, put a number on it that matches the car, who would know! :biggrin:

I have a cheapy Ibiza at the moment that I was thinking about scrapping. You can have the rolling shell for $500 if you like. Its a white 5 door hatch.

Call me at work if interested.

Matt