PDA

View Full Version : Technical Terminology and Information

Preen59
04-08-2008, 07:53 PM
This is a thread for technical information and terms automotive related. And more specifically, technical info and terms for Volkswagen vehicles.

Engine and drivetrain terms

8v- The term commonly used to describe an engine with a valvetrain containing 8 valves. In most cases, this will be a 4 cylinder, ie: 2 valves per cylinder. 1 inlet, 1 exhaust.

16v- The term commonly used to describe an engine with a valvetrain containing 16 valves. In most cases, this will be a 4 cylinder, ie: 4 valves per cylinder. 2 inlet, 2 exhaust.

DOHC- Double Over Head Cam. This is the term used to describe an engine with 2 camshafts in the head, operated directly over the valves. One camshaft operates the inlet valve train, the other operates the exhaust valves. DOHC setups are mainly used in multi valve engines. In the case of the VR6 engine, due to the staggered bores, the two camshafts actually operate the inlet AND exhaust valves for the front or rear cylinders.

Multi Valve- This term describes an engine that has more than 1 inlet and/or exhaust valve per cylinder. Eg, a 16v, 4 cylinder engine.

VR6- Vee Reihe Sechs. Which, when translated to English, means Vee Straight Six.

Common Abbreviations

VAG- Commonly referred to as "Volkswagen Audi Group" or "Volkswagen Automotive Group". The correct term is actually "Volkswagen aktiensgesellschaft", which means "Volkswagen Company Incorporated".

This will do for the moment, i have just written this in to kick this thread off, and I will add more later on.

If you have more useful terms to add, please PM either me, or a moderator and the information will be added. Please do not them in this thread as i would like it to stay as uncluttered as possible, and keep the information restricted to a minimal number of posts.

Preen59
04-08-2008, 08:29 PM
EDIT:

On second thoughts, post your questions here, they will be answered and the info will be added. Please, no chit chat though. :)

fried
04-08-2008, 11:38 PM
VAG = ? (character limit)

DaveMack
05-08-2008, 12:21 AM
VAG = ? (character limit)

Volkswagen Audi Group.

Dave

Mischa
05-08-2008, 12:25 AM
volkswagen aktiengesellschaft

Golf Houso
05-08-2008, 12:43 AM
volkswagen aktiengesellschaft

translation?

jayjay
05-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Volkswagen LTD pretty much. like a public company with limited liability. quite similar to GmbH

Jmac
05-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah i served my apprenticeship with VAG and obvious answer would be Volkswagen Audi Group but it is in actual fact not. The correct answer is Volkswagen aktiensgesellschaft which means company incorporated. You will find if you look at the other big brands like BMW, Merc and Porsche they are in actual fact BMW AG , Mercedes-Benz AG and Porsche AG and V AG.
Hope this clarifys , i ceratinly had it drummed into me in the regimental days at dub.
Cheers
JMAc:)

Tim
05-08-2008, 07:35 PM
DOHC- Double Over Head Cam. This is the term used to describe an engine with 2 camshafts in the head, operated directly over the valves. One camshaft operates the inlet valve train, the other operates the exhaust valves. DOHC setups are mainly used in multi valve engines.

how come my VR6 engine says DOHC on the engine trim yet both its cams operate inlet and exhaust valves? :P hehe sorry cant help myself

Preen59
05-08-2008, 09:17 PM
how come my VR6 engine says DOHC on the engine trim yet both its cams operate inlet and exhaust valves? :P hehe sorry cant help myself

:duh: Fixed smarty pants wishbone legs.. :biggrin:

Also added VAG. :)

jayjay
05-08-2008, 10:30 PM
i like the sound of VAG preen..

another interesting note. VR6 stands for Vee Reihe Sechs. which means Vee straight six. :)

Preen59
05-08-2008, 11:12 PM
i like the sound of VAG preen..

another interesting note. VR6 stands for Vee Reihe Sechs. which means Vee straight six. :)

Very true.. I'll add that.

WABIT
05-08-2008, 11:47 PM
EOI? in the for sale sections

dom

Tim
05-08-2008, 11:53 PM
EOI? in the for sale sections

dom

Expressions Of Interest

WABIT
07-08-2008, 06:00 PM
ahh i see

fair enough

dom

99gti
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
What about 20v :nana:

Tim
07-08-2008, 06:16 PM
What about 20v :nana:

thats easy! 20v stands for "more valves doesnt necessarily mean it works better so we went back to only 16v"