PDA

View Full Version : Help!

majimbo
04-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi there guys, i have a problem with my T4. It turns off sometimes while im driving, i have changed my relays, my leeds, coil and idle stabiliser but the problem is still there. Any ideas on what the source of this irritating problem could be? Any help would be appreciated, Thanx

Tim
04-08-2008, 11:37 AM
do you have a heavy keyring? My VR6 used to switch off when i went around corners until i figured out that my heavy bunch of keys was actually applying enough pressure on the ignition barrel to just switch the car off as that swung around.

majimbo
04-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi Tim, u mean it actually turns the key? strange that u say that as it actually only seems to turn off occasionally and when im about to take a corner. will take bunch of keys off and see if that is the problem. Hopefully thats it as its much easier than replacing more parts etc. Thanx

majimbo
04-08-2008, 11:54 AM
when i shake my key, there seems to be a rattling sound coming from it, maybe the chip is loose, not sure if this is normal and or if it would have the stalling effect? Any ideas?

Russ59
04-08-2008, 01:13 PM
It is petrol ?, if so try your distributor. I had a car a few years back which was doing the same thing as you describe, only now and then though, it turned out to be internally in the distributor on the circuit board. It was a silicone sealed unit but apparently after a period of time the silicone can harden and crack and this allows moisture to get in. I replaced just about everything as well , plugs, leads, etc.... this was the last thing I would have expected, but once the dizzie was replaced the problem was gone and the car ran much smoother as well.

Russ

gregozedobe
04-08-2008, 01:32 PM
when i shake my key, there seems to be a rattling sound coming from it, maybe the chip is loose, not sure if this is normal and or if it would have the stalling effect? Any ideas?

The transponder (aka RFID or immobiliser chip)is normally glued inside the key, but even if it got loose it wouldn't cause any trouble (IIRC it can work up to 5cm away from the receiver next to the ignition lock).

majimbo
04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanx for that guys, i have changed the distributor a few months back, will check again to make sure. Thanx for the tips :)

Seano
05-08-2008, 10:46 AM
I'd be thinking your ignition switch is on its last legs......not an uncommon occurence in a T4.

gregozedobe
05-08-2008, 12:59 PM
I have a vague recollection of another thread not so long ago about a T4 that wouldn't start - turned out to be a faulty ECU. I also know of one that had broken engine mounts that were allowing the engine to move around and interfere with the electricals.

majimbo
05-08-2008, 05:10 PM
I replaced the map sensor in my ECU about a month ago, and how do i know if the ignition switch is faulty?

gregozedobe
05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
The ECU is what the maf (sp?) sensor feeds data to. Try jiggling your ignition key next time your engine cuts out, if it goes again then that points to a faulty ign switch.

NB DO NOT TURN THE KEY ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE LOCKED POSITION ! You won't be able to steer your van and this is bad if you are still moving at the time.

majimbo
06-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanx for that, will try that if it happens again, hasn't cut out since tho, maybe it was just cold start or sumthing. Might have to replace the ECU if its not the ignition or the dizzy. will let u know how it pans out. Thanx again fellas