PDA

View Full Version : single wiper conversion on a Mk1 Golf

tassie_euro_mk1
09-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Has anyone here done one?
It seems relatively easy.

h100vw
09-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Depends how you do it. If you want to modify your own linkage, just lengthen the arm on the motor by 10mm and that'll get you a good side to side sweep.

The next easiest way is to get a set up from a MK1 Scirocco.

Gavin

Darks RS
04-10-2006, 01:08 PM
how does one modify the arm?

I wouldn't mind doing this

Depends how you do it. If you want to modify your own linkage, just lengthen the arm on the motor by 10mm and that'll get you a good side to side sweep.

The next easiest way is to get a set up from a MK1 Scirocco.

Gavin

el_foolio
04-10-2006, 03:25 PM
ive contemplated the change, but if you do you are left with a whole where the second wiper was, which would involve a bog job and some paint, too much effort (unless you were respraying car anyway)

Valver.
04-10-2006, 03:44 PM
The mech. is from a Mk2 16v Scirocco, not a Mk1. I wouldn't recommend it for a car that's regularly driven in the rain. The joint doesn't have a "swivel" like a Mercedes mechanism so doesn't work as well.

A few companies make a conversion like Venom and Bonrath. You pay for it, though :)

Valver.
04-10-2006, 03:45 PM
The aftermarket kits come with a plug for the spare hole, too.

Darks RS
04-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Not too worries bout the hole from the other wiper, that would be a job for rubber grommets!

But am wondering how you'd do it by lengthening the arm?

where are the kits available from?

Or a MK2 Sirrococo one?

Valver.
04-10-2006, 04:35 PM
US eBay for a 'Rocco one and kits from www.venommotorsport.com

Golf Loon
05-10-2006, 06:51 PM
I think Mk2 Sciroccos all have 2 wipers.

Mk1 Scirocco linkage will fit into Mk1, but good luck finding one.

I did a conversion on a Mk1 Polo in the UK, by using a Fiat Uno wiper motor, those cars have one wiper stock.

It had a mad touring car look and you could leave it parked up the middle of the screen which looked hot, it was a 90s thing :)

It was a right bugger in the rain though, like driving an early Mk2 before they swopped the wipers over.

Somewhere in the shed I have a home made jobbie which someone has made to fit a Mk1, I dont want much for it anyone cares.

h100vw
05-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Just find some steel bar the same section as the arm on the wiper motor. Cut the arm with a hacksaw and weld a 100mm section of the bar in the gap. Fit the linkage back in the car having drilled a new hole. The free end of the linkage will need supporting, I used a short piece of angle iron to do that.

Gavin