PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a teenager

-Dell-
03-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Hai guise, basically I joined up because there's a VR6 for sale around the corner from where I live. It's currently got a fuel leak though, so I'm chasing the owner up in the hope of getting it as a project car.

I'm 15 years old, get my L's in January, spend too much money on fast food (I thank god daily for the metabolism I have) and I'm a complete Audi nut! This is mainly because my dad has a 2002 non-turbo A3, which he has promised to give to me when I get my license.. He wants to upgrade to a new Scirocco when they're released here.

So anyway, I hope to convince my dad to buy the VR6 instead of giving me the A3, purely because of the sound these things produce. :eek:

Cheers! Take care.

The_Hawk
03-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Welcome! The VR6 is a nice car, mind you the A3 isn't anything to sneeze at either. But yeah, the VR6 makes a nicer noise and will go faster out of the box ;)

(And it's P Plater legal)

thestu
03-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Welcome mate! either is great choice! welcome aboard :D

(And it's P Plater legal)

not any more :(...well not in vic any ways

-Dell-
03-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Cheers guys, I do like the A3, the interior is nice and comfy and the badge is a bit of a pussymagnet.

This is the VR6 I'm looking at.. Looks fairly standard, Recaro driver's seat, lowered, black wheels... and not much else. I'm in love :biggrin:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6912/02082008297dy7.jpg

Oh oh, while I was walking over today to have another look, I saw a silver RS6 sedan drive past.. :bowdown:

Mischa
03-08-2008, 08:03 PM
ey there welcome, that thing looks pretty mean.

Golf Houso
03-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Hmnn that car looks familiar... is that someone on here?

bboyskidz
04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Hmnn that car looks familiar... is that someone on here?
yeh I was about to say that. it looks like VR6 dog's old one... (here is a link to the gallery (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=132)) which tassie_euro_mk1 now owns. obviously we would have heard about it and there is a bit of a travel distance between hobart and sydney :nana:

Make sure you check the window regulators before you purchase! they will run you up about $100 each if they are broke...

If I had the chance to get one of these as my first car (especially on my L's!!!) i'd be CHEERIN!!!:biggrin:

Welcome to VWW mate! make sure you check out the Mk3 section for DIY tips and project ideas!!

-Dell-
04-08-2008, 03:57 PM
yeh I was about to say that. it looks like VR6 dog's old one... (here is a link to the gallery (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=132)) which tassie_euro_mk1 now owns. obviously we would have heard about it and there is a bit of a travel distance between hobart and sydney :nana:

Make sure you check the window regulators before you purchase! they will run you up about $100 each if they are broke...

If I had the chance to get one of these as my first car (especially on my L's!!!) i'd be CHEERIN!!!:biggrin:

Welcome to VWW mate! make sure you check out the Mk3 section for DIY tips and project ideas!!

Oh my, that one is sexy. :biggrin:

Hrmm, that was a fairly weird conversation between my dad and I.. He asked me how much the car was, and because I haven't asked the owner yet (left my number on the windscreen yesterday) I just said "Less than 10k". His reply was "**** that, that's a lot of money!"

Compared to, what was it? Oh that's right, a $27k Audi. :duh:

Mrk_Mickey
04-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Hahahaha welcome aboard man, that's a mean looking VR you got around your corner there. I say grab it while it's still around and go nuts !

VR's are so much fun if you're young :rolleyes:

tassie_euro_mk1
04-08-2008, 04:38 PM
lol, nah not the dog lol.

I still own it and I still love it :)

that looks liek a very nice VR Dell. Black on black looks sweet. very stealth. untill you hear the sound :)

-Dell-
04-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Hahahaha welcome aboard man, that's a mean looking VR you got around your corner there. I say grab it while it's still around and go nuts !

VR's are so much fun if you're young :rolleyes:

Cheers, I'm desperately trying to convince dad to buy it, but he says it wouldn't work if i let it sit there for 6 months, it would get stolen because it has no plates, etc.

that looks liek a very nice VR Dell. Black on black looks sweet. very stealth. untill you hear the sound :)

Definitely love the look, I hope it's fairly cheap and that there's nothing wrong with it... Do all VR6's sound the way they do, standard? ie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QthhCMoYCrI

The_Hawk
04-08-2008, 05:19 PM

and oh what a sound!

tassie_euro_mk1
04-08-2008, 05:49 PM
that clip is pretty sweet dell. Dont think that has standard exhaust on it tho. sounds like it but cos its on a dyno, in a room its kinda echoie.

any aftermarket exhaust will bring out the VR6 growl :)

I have a remus setup and although it is old and has a few holes in the muffler it still sounds absoulety amazing. i mate here in tas has a vr and is getting a magnaflow system. Should be good to hear that in person soon.

10k seems to be a fair price, considering there is nothing wrong with the car. Have a look around the carsales websites and see whats on offer and compare. :)

good luck mate. the VR certainly looks the part :cool46:

-Dell-
04-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Well this puts an interesting spin on things, I went to my local Hungry Jacks just now, and the VR was parked on the way so I took a short detour to have a look aaanddd..... ITS GONE. :(

Oh and just a side note, petrol prices are decreasing, the HungryJ's is next to a Shell petrol station, normal unleaded is at 148.9. Not bad eh?

Treza360
04-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh and just a side note, petrol prices are decreasing, the HungryJ's is next to a Shell petrol station, normal unleaded is at 148.9. Not bad eh?
Welcome aboard mate. You youg kids these days thinking 148.9 is cheap for fuel. :biggrin:
I hope you have deep pockets for a VR6 mate. Don't want to be all doom and gloom but they're not the cheapest car to run and maintain. They are fantastic though.
Personally I'd be taking the newer car. It's going to be a lot less pain in the long run (being newer and all), and a lot cheaper too. An newish Audi of any sort as a first car is definitely not anything to sneeze at.
My 4 cylinder carby pov pack Magna was heaps better though. :nana:
We have an Audi section and won't hold owning one against you at all. :wink::biggrin:
Cheers,
Trent

TSi2NV
04-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey it looks reasonale tide could be a good score:)

tassie_euro_mk1
05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Welcome aboard mate. You youg kids these days thinking 148.9 is cheap for fuel. :biggrin:
I hope you have deep pockets for a VR6 mate. Don't want to be all doom and gloom but they're not the cheapest car to run and maintain. They are fantastic though.
Personally I'd be taking the newer car. It's going to be a lot less pain in the long run (being newer and all), and a lot cheaper too. An newish Audi of any sort as a first car is definitely not anything to sneeze at.
My 4 cylinder carby pov pack Magna was heaps better though. :nana:
We have an Audi section and won't hold owning one against you at all. :wink::biggrin:
Cheers,
Trent

Trent is right on the money side of things. I keep on spending money on my VR and thats mostly on replacement parts. on the weekend my VR stopped getting fuel to the engine. fuel pump is working fine which leads to the relay (thank goodness) but unsure of that yet. waiting on confirmation from my old man.

but yea...some ppl seem to have endless problems and some ppl have a really good run with their VR's. i guess it goes down to how it has been treated or just unlucky.

i definately wouldnt rule out the audi as they are so damn sexy. love em all.

bboyskidz
05-08-2008, 12:59 PM
thats a shame mate :( get an s3 instead ;)

-Dell-
05-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Treza360, I do like - well, love - the Audi, I just feel that a non-turbo A3 is not very exciting.. And full comp insurance with Just Car would be 6 grand a year! :o Oh and don't worry, I do remember when petrol was less than half that, I was born in Germany, lived there for 10 years.. I'd spend half my afternoon days with my dad filling up his 993 Carrera. That was before he upgraded to a red Ferrari 348. Yum :D

bbsoyskidz, I'd do plenty of nasty things for an 8L S3, Noggy blue preferred, but I fall under the P-Plate rules.. Taking all the fun away :(

WEDEL.1
05-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Cheers guys, I do like the A3, the interior is nice and comfy and the badge is a bit of a pussymagnet.

This is the VR6 I'm looking at.. Looks fairly standard, Recaro driver's seat, lowered, black wheels... and not much else. I'm in love :biggrin:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Oh oh, while I was walking over today to have another look, I saw a silver RS6 sedan drive past.. :bowdown:

The VR6 can be frightingly quick....I know, I owned one. It really scared me on one ocassion.

They can be very good on fuel if you can show alot of restraint ;-).

Then there is the sound of that VR6.....it's fantastic.

I'm not sure I would buy THAT one...I'd be looking for a stanard one that has been love as a VR6 should be. Then the fun begins....

Maris

The_Hawk
05-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I'd be looking for a stanard one that has been love as a VR6 should be. Then the fun begins....

There are a grand total of 6 VR6's which have been babied and garaged their whole life. The rest are owned by one of two people;

Those that claim they never flogged them (yeah right)
and
Those that admit to having flogged them but also looked after them.

Chances are the first group haven't even bothered changing the oil in the last 2 years.

There is nothing wrong with giving it a good run if you look after it, warm it up, change the fluids regularly and keep it nice and tidy.

Golf Houso
05-08-2008, 07:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb4MNIuSbFU&feature=related

That's probably more like the stock sound.

That quite clearly has a pod in it, the shi77ty phone camera can't pick up all the deeper sounds of the CAI...