PDA

View Full Version : First VW - 2002 VW Golf SE Sport 2 door 1.6L

flashash
03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi all

Thought it was time to register & introduce myself after a few days of reading loads of great info contained within the forum.

Last week i purchased my first VW, its a 2002 VW Golf SE Sport 2 door 1.6l from what i am told it is quite rare, I believe that there were only about 9 brought into the country and of those 9 only 7 or so still exist...

Apparently mine is the only Black, Manual with Aircon in Australia.

It is completely stock however is quite well appointed from the factory, it has 17 inch wheels, Eibach suspension, GTI Sport seats and Steering wheel, upgraded gamma Stereo and OBC. It was a special order for someone on the board of VW Australia at the time.

So far I am very pleased with the vehicle as it meets all the criteria i has hoping for in my next car... primarily safety and fuel efficiency while still looking quite sporty, great handling and of euro build quality.

Coming from a modified MY99 WRX that was averaging 16l/100km it is fantastic getting close to 6L/100 on the open road and 7.5L/100 around town.

Regardless i have owned a few Euros i the past and i am certainly glad to be back.

My plans for the car are some tints, repair some gutter rash, i am pretty fussy so i will probably end up getting the front bar cleaned up as it has a few stone chips on the lower apron.. and i am also integrating a bluetooth car kit in the next week or so.

Attached is as pretty average pic as i haven't had a chance to take any new ones as yet, i will post some new ones this week.

Anyways love the forum and look forward to learning and contributing where possible

Thanks

ASH :)

Golf Dvr
03-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi and welcome aboard.:)

jayjay
03-08-2008, 07:28 PM
we all saw this for sale a little while ago. it looks really nice. :)

welcome to watercooled ;) i'm sure you'll find lots of goodies on here

fuzion
03-08-2008, 09:33 PM
looks great dude.

you actually have a rare Votex Bodykit fitted as well, nice score! looks good.. keep us informed on how you progress!

rayray086
03-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Wow! Never knew there were Aussie-delivered non-R32 2-doors! Definitely a nice find!

Welcome to the forums.

Golf Houso
03-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Wow! Never knew there were Aussie-delivered non-R32 2-doors! Definitely a nice find!

Welcome to the forums.

My thoughts exactly, what a great looking car I must say, I am quite jealous!

flashash
04-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Hey Guys

Thanks for the reply's

As previously stated there were only nine 2 door non R32 1.6l brought into Australia.

The first 2 were mine and 1 other, both these vehicles were factory fitted with Aircon as they were destined for Australia.

Then the other 7 were either accidentally ordered or accidentally delivered to Australia however were not fitted with Aircon as i believe they may have been bound for a cooler climate? Obviously RHD though :driver:

(After some serious forum reading I only managed to find 1 thread about this type of vehicle, it didn't say much other than they are rare and had a pretty average pic of one in a yard - see below)

I believe mine was optioned up because it was a special order for Peter Munday at Lennock :)

Either way i am stoked to have found it, that much so i was on the plane the day after finding it.

It's done 125 kms but the service history is fantastic and it presents very well.

As i said in my previous post this week i am integrating a nokia Blue Tooth car kit, the Gamma has radio mute and capability to utilise the car speakers for voice output. There is also a small opening in the interior light fitting where you can fit the microphone, i am going to remove the front ash tray insert and mount the little LCD in there, all in all with the ash tray lid closed there will be no sign of a car kit and best of all being BT it will detect the phone once the ignition is switched on.... Just have wait for my stereo keys to arrive and find the part time power wire that has power until the keys are removed from the ignition, that way you can still chat via the kit with the engine switched off.

Should be pretty stealth!

I'll take a few pics as i go and post them up if anyone wants them.

Enjoy the day.

ASH

Treza360
04-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Three door golfs are the sex. Welcome aboard mate and congrats on the purchase. The kit and spec sounds sweet as.
Cheers,
Trent

phaeton
05-08-2008, 07:32 PM
WOW what a rarity :eek:

Welcome abroad :bowdown:

Seb has told me about this model and how VWA stuffed up with the order :duh:

I know this is going to sound weird do you have any photos of the car in stock mode ? :bluesbro:

flashash
05-08-2008, 08:04 PM
WOW what a rarity :eek:

Welcome abroad :bowdown:

Seb has told me about this model and how VWA stuffed up with the order :duh:

I know this is going to sound weird do you have any photos of the car in stock mode ? :bluesbro:

Hey Ben

Thanks for the reply.

The only pic i have of any other 2 door 1.6l is the one previously attached... I've since signed up to photobucket so i will re-post it below:

I am loving the car but to be honest the biggest drama I've had thus far was finding an insurance company that doesn't view the vehicle as a grey import as it is not listed in the Glasses Guide....???:duh:

In the end (and half a day on the phone to insurance companies:brutal: i managed to get a pretty good deal with Shannons but they were the only ones that would even consider it at an agreed value, the rest either wouldn't consider it or wouldn't give me a fixed value so in the event of a total loss the vehicle would be assessed and the insurance company would pay market at that point in time.... I don't think I could sleep at night not knowing what my car was insured for.... just doesn't make sense to me...

Anyways all sorted now.

Regards

ASH

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/08/vw001-1.jpg

phaeton
05-08-2008, 08:06 PM

Whats with the cars in the background is it at a dealership ?

flashash
05-08-2008, 08:14 PM

Whats with the cars in the background is it at a dealership ?

I guess.... I just found the pic on the weekend...?

It may even be lennock motors in Canberra, from what i am told Peter Munday from lennock had a fair bit to do with them when they first arrived.

He was actually the original owner of my car. :)