PDA

View Full Version : Hello fellow vdubbers

mrcurlywhirly
28-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi Everybody,

I think i'm new to this forum - stuffed if i can actually remember really.. I can feel another vague attack coming on. :eek:

I have a background in air cooled type 2's, owned a couple of Samba 23 window buses and numerous other pre '67 Volksy buses. These were ancient machines that could have the engine switched by a backyard mechanic in about 45 minutes (provided you didnt bolt up the rear bumper bar!).

I also used to own a '61 Karmann Beetle convertable a few years back. Shame i had to sell it, I miss that little beetle, had loads of character. Unfortunately it also had a habit of unlocking its doors over bumps.. never mind - plenty of good times were had in that car to outweigh the few faults!

Anyhow, I have always appreciated German engineering and now I'm the lucky owner of an '07 R32 3 door DSG, what a brilliant machine! The handling is a definite improvement over the split window buses :driver:, the white knuckles now appear on acceleration as opposed to trying to keep the old Kombi going in a straight line!

I live in Brisbane West and will look forward to picking your collective brains very soon..

Cheers,

Mischa
28-07-2008, 11:05 PM
welcome! good to see a fellow mk5 owner who has passion for the dubs :)

99gti
28-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Another converted air cooler joins the ranks! Welcome aboard :D

mrcurlywhirly
29-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks guys,

Nearly didnt make it back into the Volks fraternity.

We had what is best summarised as a pathetic dealer experience here and were practically ready to throw in the towel and buy another Subaru (a WRX STi).

I'm glad we persevered, the VW is a beautifully engineered and balanced machine, quite capable of long distance cruising - yet it can switch into pseudo track mode in an instant. And you dont need to wear a kidney belt to push it over choppy stuff either, suspension is nicely sorted.

Havent looked back!

DaveMack
29-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Welcome to the forum ... we must be close neighbours (I'm in Oxley). Good to have you aboard and look forward to seeing pics of your R32. :)

Dave