PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with R5 TDI (2.5) Touareg saying Hi

Moonan
07-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Hello,
I am new to this forum and just introducing myself.
I've got an '05 Touareg R5TDI (2.5l) and am very happy with it!
It is my first VW and I am already a convert (a year and 50k of driving with a smile on my face:) )...
I'll probably be lurking around the TDI threads and commenting on biodiesel, chips etc.

cheers to all

GoLfMan
07-09-2006, 11:03 AM
welcome mate :) i think your our first toureg owner!!!

gtimk5
07-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi Moonan! Wecome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here. Good to have you! :)

Moonan
07-09-2006, 02:10 PM
welcome mate :) i think your our first toureg owner!!!

:)
touareg

I see there's some education to do...
Even though I can spell it, I'm still not sure how to pronounce it!

Anyway, I am very impressed with my car, in spite of its difficult name, and thank you for your welcome. Once I remember how to find photo bucket I'll post some pix

smithy010
07-09-2006, 02:52 PM
When's the V10 being delivered?

GoLfMan
07-09-2006, 05:21 PM
touareg

I see there's some education to do...
Even though I can spell it, I'm still not sure how to pronounce it!

Anyway, I am very impressed with my car, in spite of its difficult name, and thank you for your welcome. Once I remember how to find photo bucket I'll post some pix
i type to fast and forget to put words in... my bad :?

Golf Loon
07-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Toureg is the name of a Nomadic Desert Tribe
and is pronounced twa reg

Most aussies seem to say tourag to rhyme with toe rag!

LS1 Cobra
07-09-2006, 06:13 PM
A mate of mine has got the V8 Touareg and he's very happy with it too. Nice car to drive.

Moonan
07-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Toureg is the name of a Nomadic Desert Tribe
and is pronounced twa reg

That is pretty close, as far as the tribe is concerned... The way I heard it, it is the Tuareg (pronounced "Twa reg" as you say) who are a nomadic desert tribe of the Sahara, and who recognise no borders and know no masters. VW added the "o". (as did Peugeot about 20 years earlier when they used the name for a concept 4wd that was never released) Probably both are translations from Arabic, so who knows what is more correct? :)

Anyway, I first came across the Tuareg (tribe) when they attacked Biggles in one of his adventures (I would have read that in 1970-ish, showing my age now!)

Most aussies seem to say tourag to rhyme with toe rag!

Also, you are right that most people say something like "toe rag", even dealers and sales / service staff. Too much "the Bill" on a Saturday night, I reckon. Any way, the intended pronunciation in VW circles is, I believe "tour-egg".

__________________________________________________ _____________

When's the V10 being delivered?
I'm buyng mine in two installments - one cylinder bank at a time!

__________________________________________________ _____________

cheers,

brackie
07-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Translate thet one!!!

Welcome as our first "Wandering Tribe of the Sahara Desert" member.

Awesome vehicle. I saw 2 on my trip to Hobart today (my mrs thinks it's all to do with business but really I only go to cities to ogle at the cars :( )

How does it compare with other makes off-road? Have you any stories to tell?

Moonan
07-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Welcome as our first "Wandering Tribe of the Sahara Desert" member.

thanks for the welcome!

Awesome vehicle.

How does it compare with other makes off-road? Have you any stories to tell?
It compares much better than the most people imagine, and yeah, there are quite a few stories!
I haven't done anything really adventurous in mine yet, but we have a reasonably active group attached to the clubTouareg.com forum, and get together every so often to get our "eggs" dirty. I really will have to remember my photobucket ID and post some pix.

cheers

blommpau
16-09-2008, 01:28 PM
hey im new to all this, and new to VW, just bought demo R5 2.5 liter, and very happy. awsome vehicle!!! hanging to go offroad.

only complaint i have is air noise around B pillar, u got this also?
and im looking for a spare wheel.........

barefoot
16-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Welcome! and

Hmmm, not wanting to worry you or anything but my T1 R5 has no (discernible) noise anywhere. I assume the windows are all closed properly etc.
Cheers

Moonan
17-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Hi and welcome,
Talk to your dealer about the air noise, there should be no particular air noise anywhere -the doors are triple-sealed and generally fit very well.
Congratulations on purchasing an amazing vehicle! If you want to go off-road with some other treggers, pop over to the Australia New Zealand section on ClubTouareg.com, there are a couple of guys putting together a "Victoria GTG"

cheers

barefoot
17-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I just remembered from when I had the T2 loaner that it was quieter than the T1 (side mirrors are better aerodynamically), so that might explain why you could hear the B pillar noise, B pillar noise is probably masked by the mirror noise on T1.

Having said above, like Moonan said, even the T1 is relatively quiet.
Cheers

bobzed57
19-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Here you guys, some piccies of a few places I've been.

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g250/bobzed57/

As moonan says, very capable off road, and a surprise packet for most regular 4WDers. I'm in the Landrover Club of the ACT, and I get favourable comments on pretty much all the trips.

Bob