PDA

View Full Version : Repairing/limiting damage from a scratch

tobes
27-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Firstly, I would like to apologise to any people with young children, or those just generally offend by profanity, my reaction upon seeing that some absolute punter had scratched/dented the side of my car was reminiscent of Homer's reaction to Mr Burns forgetting his name (again) :brutal:

Homer: Kids, would you step outside for a second?
(Bart and Lisa run outside as Homer stands up.)
Homer: (inhales deeply) F---!
(church organ plays a chord; birds fly away and everyone looks at the Simpson house.)
Ned: Dear Lord! That's the loudest profanity I've ever heard!

Anyway, as I was getting into my car on Friday morning I discovered that someone had ran into it, just behind the drivers door on the right side. :eek::frown::duh:

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/32/27072008270ff2.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8621/27072008269zi2.jpg

There is a slight depression in panel, only really noticeable in the right light/right angle, and not much I can easily do about I imagine unless I can get access to the panel from behind and give it a bit of a love tap.

Anyway, I'm more interested in getting the paint looking good again and making sure the scratches/etc are treated properly.

I'm not very knowledgeable in the world of car detailing etc. I wash and wax my car regularly etc, but I'm not really sure what to do to deal with these. I'm about to give the car another wash now. I've got some scratch-X and I was going to have a go at these with it but I'm not sure if that is the best idea etc etc.

So, detailing guru's let me know what I should do. Oh and while you're there any recommendations for stone chips on the bonnet?

Tobes

MissVuks
27-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Not that i can help much - but can i just say, in regards to expressing your emotion/expletives online about f**ktards ruining your car, thats was hilarious!

I can imagine it clearly LOL

Mischa
27-07-2008, 09:39 PM
i feel for you thats really low. i can hook you up with a great panelbeater if you want.

tobes
28-07-2008, 08:18 AM
It's not really that bad, that being said I don't know what a panel beater would charge to fix it.

I'll have at it when it stops pouring and see how it comes out.

Tobes

Preen59
28-07-2008, 10:45 AM
You maybe able to get some touch up paint (proper paint your colour code..).

Clean the scratches with thinners and a rag, just clean the affected area only. Wipe it gently. Allow to completely dry. Like leave it for an hour.

Apply the touch up paint to the scratches. Leave to dry..

Buff it out.

Done properly you'll be the only person that notices it. :)

DMS_Dan
28-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Most of those will buff out. A light wetsand with 3000 grit followed by a machine polish and it looks like only the big white one up the top of the first pic will be noticable. Scratch X will do nothing to be honest. It may fix it for 2 weeks untill the fillers wash out then the marks will be back again

Preen59
28-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Most of those will buff out. A light wetsand with 3000 grit followed by a machine polish and it looks like only the big white one up the top of the first pic will be noticable. Scratch X will do nothing to be honest. It may fix it for 2 weeks untill the fillers wash out then the marks will be back again

Do what i said for the deep ones and what Dan said ^^^ for the light stuff. :)

Preen59
28-07-2008, 12:10 PM
f**ktards

Miss, what's a "f**cktard"? :nana: :biggrin:

tobes
28-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Miss, what's a "f**cktard"? :nana: :biggrin:

Someone that is really really bad in the sack perhaps? :nana::moonie:

Preen59
28-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Someone that is really really bad in the sack perhaps? :nana::moonie:

Haha, and before anyone chimes in. NO, that's not me! :brutal:

tezza
29-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Firstly, I would like to apologise to any people with young children, or those just generally offend by profanity, my reaction upon seeing that some absolute punter had scratched/dented the side of my car was reminiscent of Homer's reaction to Mr Burns forgetting his name (again) :brutal:

Anyway, as I was getting into my car on Friday morning I discovered that someone had ran into it, just behind the drivers door on the right side. :eek::frown::duh:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

There is a slight depression in panel, only really noticeable in the right light/right angle, and not much I can easily do about I imagine unless I can get access to the panel from behind and give it a bit of a love tap.

Anyway, I'm more interested in getting the paint looking good again and making sure the scratches/etc are treated properly.

I'm not very knowledgeable in the world of car detailing etc. I wash and wax my car regularly etc, but I'm not really sure what to do to deal with these. I'm about to give the car another wash now. I've got some scratch-X and I was going to have a go at these with it but I'm not sure if that is the best idea etc etc.

So, detailing guru's let me know what I should do. Oh and while you're there any recommendations for stone chips on the bonnet?

Tobes

Call Paul from Ding King 0423 330 908 he did my GTi had a few dings in it. after 2 hours on it you could not see a thing 100% PERFECT

seno_123
07-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Where do you get the touch up kits from? and how much? Thanks