PDA

View Full Version : After Market Alarm

tezza
24-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Guys,

I know this is overkill but like my GTi I want another alarm\immobilser installed on the Touareg. (Have had a car stolen and trashed b4 so now paranoid and it had a factory alarm\immobilser)

Problem is that it uses can-bus and it seems most installers here in Oz have no idea. I would like to get a system that will communicate back to my mobile phone via SMS if something happens or if i have forgotten to lock the doors (which I often do)

Any ideas\suggestions

gregozedobe
24-07-2008, 11:17 AM
I thought the standard VW immobiliser (with the transponder in the key) is pretty well thief proof. So much so that the only way a thief can drive your car away is to get a key with an "active" (ie currently recognised by the ECU) transponder. I haven't heard of any substantiated reports of thieves being able to drive a recent model VAG vehicle without a key. Of course that won't stop them breaking into your car or trashing it :(

I strongly suggest that you re-program yourself so that checking if the car is locked is the last thing you do before walking away. It might take a while before it becomes automatic, but in your case it sounds like the effort would be worthwhile. Even if you do find a suitable alarm, unless you arm it, it won't help you.

tezza
24-07-2008, 12:46 PM
I thought the standard VW immobiliser (with the transponder in the key) is pretty well thief proof. So much so that the only way a thief can drive your car away is to get a key with an "active" (ie currently recognised by the ECU) transponder. I haven't heard of any substantiated reports of thieves being able to drive a recent model VAG vehicle without a key. Of course that won't stop them breaking into your car or trashing it :(

I strongly suggest that you re-program yourself so that checking if the car is locked is the last thing you do before walking away. It might take a while before it becomes automatic, but in your case it sounds like the effort would be worthwhile. Even if you do find a suitable alarm, unless you arm it, it won't help you.

hehehe, Yes! you are right mate have been told that a few times got so used to having a vehicle that auto locked if the key was not in its vicinity that I became lazy. You are also very correct in that it is almost impossible to be stolen unless someones tows it away, which is wwhat happened last time. One of the systems I am looking for will send you a message if it is tampered with in anyway and tracks it via your phone, these are available in Europe but Oz seems to be another story.

gldgti
24-07-2008, 07:08 PM
i think the wider audience of the general section may give you some more options (i've got nothin') :-)

also, the car audio dudes might know.

Treza360
24-07-2008, 08:27 PM
I just enabled the beep on unlock/lock. That way as I walk away as long as I hear the double beep I know it's locked. It's also good because if a door or the hatch isn't closed properly then it won't beep and I know something is wrong.
You've got motion sensors, deadbolting on the doors and immobilizer and encoding for the key. Why would you want anymore?
You're right more is definitely overkill.

gregozedobe
25-07-2008, 12:22 AM
I like the idea of the GPS tracker telling you the exact location of your stolen car. Gives you the choice of bringing some violent friends along to deal out a bit of "rough justice" to the thieves or letting the police deal with it (I'm sure they would relish the opportunity to catch some thieves without too much effort).