PDA

View Full Version : New Models

SkoTech Qld
21-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I was speaking with the head of Skoda Australia a couple of weeks ago.
Im looking foward to whats coming.
The Scout will be here soon along with the Superb, the Ocatvia II is getting a facelift but they are going to hold off on the RS, rumor has it the the 1.8T will be optioned with a 7spd DSG. The RS diesel may be here by the end of the year and it will definately have the DSG.
The Fabia is a while off yet as they are working hard at getting the price right.

gregozedobe
22-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Sounds about right. Did he/she say when we are getting the CR diesels in Oz ? They already have them in the UK (along with DSG vRS diesels).

Skoda need to sharpen their prices if they want to get the sales volumes they were hoping for, and particularly with the Fabia. It's a pity the $AU wasn't as high against the Euro as it is against the $US.

bbcrowdog
22-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Sounds about right. Did he/she say when we are getting the CR diesels in Oz ? They already have them in the UK (along with DSG vRS diesels).

I was told October for the vRS diesel (by a saleslady)

MJKooLio
23-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Same, Diesel vRS October! :D

7spd DSG.... big possibility.. as Audi have had one for yonks... its Skoda's turn! (Slight confirmation from Skoda insider) :p

brad
23-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Skoda need to sharpen their prices if they want to get the sales volumes they were hoping for, and particularly with the Fabia. It's a pity the $AU wasn't as high against the Euro as it is against the $US.

I think my Skoda was great value for money - initially it seemed expensive until they realised I was serious & suddenly the trade-in was really good & the cost of the car came way down. The more I drive it, the more I think what great value for money it is.

gregozedobe
23-07-2008, 10:40 PM
I didn't say they weren't good value for money - I've bought one, and with my own money (and I'm very happy with it) !

But if they want to sell as many as they said they plan to, I think they need to drop their prices. For example, VW Golfs are a known brand, yet they are being discounted more than Skodas, which have very little real presence with the more average car buyer in Australia (as opposed to the enthusiasts you find on sites like this one).

brad
24-07-2008, 10:29 AM
So they need to restructure their initial pricing to get the punters onto the forecourt.

I paid $30452 drive-away for my Nov07 build 1.8T Elegance liftback (no accessories or options). To top it off I got $11750 trade-in for my Mk3.5 Golf Cabrio (paid $13700 private 2 years earlier) which 2 VW dealers offered me $7000 as a trade-in on a GTI / GT Sport Golf.

edit: VW seem to be targetting the fleet market in Australia. Skoda claim to be targetting retail buyers. In Europe, Skoda is the fleet car (so I was told by SWMBOs cousin in Austria).

mrx
24-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Revised pricing wont make any difference if people still don't know what it is. Nearly everybody that has seen my (wifes) car is very impressed with it, but none of them have ever heard of Skoda before. The only people I have met who actually know what it is are VW drivers or people who have lived in the UK.

In my opinion the advertising should be focussing on the features of the car. Rather than telling us how clever it is, tell us why! If people realise that they can carry two kids in the back, two dogs in the boot (wagon), go around corners without the car falling over, and still get to 100km/hr in a little over 7 seconds in comfort & style they might be more interested.

brad
24-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Revised pricing wont make any difference if people still don't know what it is. Nearly everybody that has seen my (wifes) car is very impressed with it, but none of them have ever heard of Skoda before. The only people I have met who actually know what it is are VW drivers or people who have lived in the UK.

In my opinion the advertising should be focussing on the features of the car. Rather than telling us how clever it is, tell us why! If people realise that they can carry two kids in the back, two dogs in the boot (wagon), go around corners without the car falling over, and still get to 100km/hr in a little over 7 seconds in comfort & style they might be more interested.

Console Operator at Shell recognised it the other day. I said "red car, pump 9" He says /Arpoo voice on "The Skoda. They sell very well in India" /Arpoo voice off.

I can think of several add campaigns based on my experiences so far.

You can fit 3x2L milk bottles in the net thing on the right of the boot. My kids thought that was great rather than having to hold the wet, cold milk bottles on their lap.

My car was parked outside with the windows open. My Father-in-law warned me it was about to start raining. I told him the windows will wind up automatically when the rain starts. He couldn't handle this and told me another 3 times it was about to rain and I should go outside & wind the windows up...... So I pressed the lock button on the remote & they wound up.

Same day. Father-in-law asks: "Has it got ABS brakes?"
me: "yes"
FIL: "Has it got airbags?"
Me: "yep, 6 of them"
FIL: "Has it got ESP stability control"
Me: "Mate, think of an initialism and it's got it!":nana:

My wife drives like a Nanna and reckons the car is luxurious, easy to drive & comfortable. I drive a bit harder & reckon the car has good power, handles well & looks good.

All these things would translate well to a telly commercial.

But yeah, SIMPLY CLEVER because you are good at sand castles?

Roobuls
24-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Revised pricing wont make any difference if people still don't know what it is.

People don't wanna buy a car that they don't know anything about !!!

Even if it is a great car; who are they?, will they be here in ten years time?, and what support do they have?

I think the best thing Skoda could do is let people know it's Volkswagen.
Most of the running gear is VW parts. It's exactly the same as VW to service and any VW mechanic could fix them.

Then if Skoda closed shop in Australia, no problem. Volkswagen can look after it.

gregozedobe
25-07-2008, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't have considered my Skoda if it didn't have Golf GTI mechanicals. Because so many GTIs have been sold here that gave me confidence I would be able to buy parts for it in 10 (or 15) years time. I didn't want to buy a car that may end up an orphan if the manufacturer/importer pulls out of Australia.

Two Dogs
25-07-2008, 07:06 AM
I was originally waitng for the RS TDI but decided I may go early and get the Elegance Wagon 2.0 TDI Manual with leather and 17" wheels/Suspension pack.

None in country.

Okay, 2.0 Elegance,WGN, Man, TDI, 17" W/S

None in country

Okay, 2.0 Elegance WGN, Man, TDI, leather 16"

None in country

Okay 2.0 Elegance WGN, Man TDI 16"

None in country

Okay 1.8 TFSI Elegance WGN, Man 17" etc.

None in country

Okay you win can I order one ?

Yes but because we have no idea when it will get here we can't give you any idea on price !

The thing is I like the Octavia, the wagon meets my families needs perfectly (my cars an Alfa 156 fun but not practical). Economy, preformance, handling, roof rails (for bikes) largest cargo area in a 4 cylinder including soft roaders, and VAG quality of engineering.

The thing Skoda need to fix is availability. It's all well and good to have a wide range but as I have learnt. It isn't easy buying a Skoda. Let alone being able to drive a bargain.

Two Dogs

P.S. Sad thing is I'm going to wait until there's stock in country and try and buy one. Perhaps the new model will be around and drive old stock down or the new model may be more appealing visually.

gregozedobe
25-07-2008, 09:43 AM
P.S. Sad thing is I'm going to wait until there's stock in country and try and buy one. Perhaps the new model will be around and drive old stock down or the new model may be more appealing visually.

Speculation in the UK says the facelift model will have minor changes (grille, headlights, front bumber) at the front end to look like the new Superb. And a chrome strip across the rear (above the number plate depression).

If you wait until they are here and then can't find one in the spec you want you may still end up doing a factory build order. and therefore waiting a further 4 months or so for delivery from then.

While the dealer can't give you a firm price because they don't know what the RRP will be, you could try for a RRP - $2,500 type deal.

IIRC the new Octy VRS TDI will have the new CR diesel (lots of good reports on this engine from GB), and will have DSG available too (not sure if it is the only gearbox or if you have the option of manual or DSG).

brad
25-07-2008, 10:48 AM
The thing is I like the Octavia, the wagon meets my families needs perfectly (my cars an Alfa 156 fun but not practical). Economy, preformance, handling, roof rails (for bikes) largest cargo area in a 4 cylinder including soft roaders, and VAG quality of engineering.

The thing Skoda need to fix is availability. It's all well and good to have a wide range but as I have learnt. It isn't easy buying a Skoda. Let alone being able to drive a bargain.

2 Dogs. What part of Aussie are you in? What dealer?

My dealer in Campbelltown has a vRS demo wagon in stock & had a few other wagons as well.

They can do aftermarket leather no probs (probably nicer than factory), 17" as an add-on (OEM or Aftermarket - the other Octavia in my building has 17x7.5 BBS mesh style & looks great) & the suspension (OEM or aftermarket) wouldn't be hard either. Sounds like your dealer wasn't trying very hard.

gregozedobe
25-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Lennocks (Canberra) have several Octy wagons in stock at the moment, including 2 RSs (2.0 TFSI petrol), don't know about TDIs.