PDA

View Full Version : Swivel Seat T5...but how?

T5 4Motion
21-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey, I want to swivel the seats in my T5. I have a LWB that I am setting up for camping and the odd weekend away. Local dealers tell me I can't by the Kombi Beach seats as a spare part. Putting an after market swivel under the standard seats means a change in ride hieght and I got short legs LOL !! I would like to keep the driving position as close to standard as I can.

Other issue is clearing the hand brake for the drivers seat.

Trakka do a conversion but I can't get my hands on their parts without commiting to decking out the whole van, plus I'm in WA. Actually a big fan of the Trakka product.

So who out there has my solution.

Dave

gregozedobe
21-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Do you really need both seats to swivel ? A lot of conversions have stuff immediately behind the driver seat, so the driver seat can't swivel all the way around.

If you only do the passenger seat then seat height isn't usually such a big deal, but if it is simply build up the level of the footwell the desired amount. This is a bit more complex on the driver's side due to the control pedals on the floor.

I can't remember who, but I have a vague recollection that some of the firms that do motorhome conversons on buses can sell you a swivel base that might work on a T5. I'd suggest you look for one that comes with an engineers certificate to cover the seatbelt, as it attaches to the seat.

I gave up on the idea of swivelling seats for my T5, as it was getting too complicated and expensive (I have height adjustable seats on both sides, next time I would only get them on the driver's side).

rob64981
21-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Had a look on ebay UK and its come up with one for drivers and one for passenger.

Dont know about postage and if it would be cost effective but hope it might be of some help

Drivers http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T5-DRIVER-SEAT-SWIVEL-BASE-volkswagen-motorhome_W0QQitemZ130231676183QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item130231676183&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Passenger http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T5-PASSENGER-SEAT-SWIVEL-BASE-volkswagen-motorhome_W0QQitemZ140251136591QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item140251136591&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Hoping to help Rob

MultiplexMan
22-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Hey, I want to swivel the seats in my T5.

So who out there has my solution.

Dave

I may :biggrin:

I have a Kombi Beach with the swivelling Captain seats and I am honestly unimpressed with them. They are comfortable on a long drive but...
- no height adjustment :duh:
- arm rests result in corked thighs when moving to the back from the cab unless you are super model thin :rolleyes:
- to swivel, move seat back upright, move seat ALL the way forward, then swivel, losing all your seat settings in the process.:confused:

I would rather have height adjustable standard seats.

If I want to eat in the back whilst parked I simply deploy the table and use the bench seat.

I wouldn't mind swapping my seats over but I'm in Sydney. :frown:

If you want to convert your existing seats, firms like Reimo do base adapters.

gregozedobe
22-07-2008, 06:45 PM
I have a Kombi Beach with the swivelling Captain seats and I am honestly unimpressed with them. They are comfortable on a long drive but...
- no height adjustment :duh:
- arm rests result in corked thighs when moving to the back from the cab unless you are super model thin :rolleyes:
- to swivel, move seat back upright, move seat ALL the way forward, then swivel, losing all your seat settings in the process.:confused:

I would rather have height adjustable standard seats.

I wouldn't mind swapping my seats over but I'm in Sydney. :frown:
Hello MM,

I took the armrests off all except the driver's seat inner, this gave me room for my definitely more substantial than "super model thin" thighs. I had some engineering plastic covers made to protect me from the sharp square bits of steel left behind (mounting brackets). The outer ones were a pain as I had to move them up to get in, then down again once I was sitting down otherwise they got in the way of the air bag if it went off (and would probably break your upper arm as it deployed).

If you are interested in swapping your passenger side seat (but not the drivers seat) for my non-swivelling one, PM me. Mine has height adjustment, side air-bag and (currently removed) arm rests. It has had a seat cover on it since new, and almost no human use (my 12Kg agility dog sits there in her basket, with a harness connected to the seat belt).

I don't want to swap the driver's side seat as I can't usefully swivel it (too much crap behind it), and I do use the height adjustment to vary my driving position on long trips.

I'm in Canberra, but often travel to Sydney for dog agility trials (I'll be there next on 2-3 Aug).

Greg C

tapsy
23-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Hello MM,
It has had a seat cover on it since new,

Greg C

Hi dif subject but what brand or type of seat covers are these, i am having a prob getting decent covers that fit :duh: without getting very expensive ones
Cheers:driver:

gregozedobe
23-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Mine were fairly expensive IIRC. I ordered them through my local dealer. They were made in WA I think. They were a bit of a tight fit, and needing to removing the seat trims made the install a bit of a bother (in fact I haven't put the driver side cover on yet because it was so difficult putting the passenger one on).

Pineapple
19-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Any chance, anyone wants to get rid of their single front swivel located in Sydney still??

Bryn23
19-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Any chance, anyone wants to get rid of their single front swivel located in Sydney still??

Give Southern Campers in Geebung QLD a call, they sell the T5 swivel seats.

jonathan_k
20-01-2017, 12:56 PM
I just landed a Sportscraft passenger swivel base from Jennings Seating in the UK for $340 (including shipping). Took about a week to turn up.

The cheapest I could find one locally was $499.

VW T5/T6 (http://www.swivel-seats.com/vw-t5-t6.html)

You need to be particular about the base you choose in regard to battery clearance and/or seat adjustment clearance.

FUNBUS
20-01-2017, 08:07 PM
I purchased some Australian made swivels. They meet Australian Design Rules specs. It was really easy to get a compliance plate for it.
Seat Turntables / Swivels Online (http://www.transportseating.com/swivel.html?gclid=CO238PHsyc8CFQskvQod9B4ArQ)

jedders10
07-09-2017, 02:45 PM
I purchased some Australian made swivels. They meet Australian Design Rules specs. It was really easy to get a compliance plate for it.
Seat Turntables / Swivels Online (http://www.transportseating.com/swivel.html?gclid=CO238PHsyc8CFQskvQod9B4ArQ)

Hey Funbus, how do you rate the Australian made swivels? Good design? Ease of install? Was thinking of getting the Kiravans but compliance is an issue, damn insurance.

Cheers mate

Bryn23
07-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Jedder10,

Ive also got the same ones on my T6 on passenger and drivers seat.

Compliance was easy and the engineers signed it off for the plate.

The design seems well built, not much rock in it, you have to raise the seat height a little so the seat plastic on the bottom of the chair is clear.

I put a E Brake in mine and got rid of the handbrake, as the handbrake needs to be disengaged to swivel the drivers seat.

I didn't fit it as the engineer was doing the E Brake at the same time, but it looks easy enough.

jedders10
07-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Alright sweet as, thanks for the info and your speedy reply Bryn! Time to part with more money!

Gold Coaster
08-09-2017, 09:34 AM
I put a E Brake in mine and got rid of the handbrake
Yeah it's a real pain to turn my driver's seat if not stopped level ... what sort of cost is involved in having this done?

Bryn23
08-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Yeah it's a real pain to turn my driver's seat if not stopped level ... what sort of cost is involved in having this done?

It wasn't cheap, it was around the 2K mark.

If you comfortable with a welder, you can remove the spot welds on the handbrake mounting and lower it.

Gold Coaster
09-09-2017, 08:36 AM
It wasn't cheap, it was around the 2K mark
Wow, I think I'll stick with using a wheel chock! :)

WallyG
01-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Was there any issue with Oz compliance with the Sportscraft base?