PDA

View Full Version : MK5 diesels

imported_brackie
19-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Went to Launceston today (epic voyage for a dairy farmer!) and looked at the Mk5 diesels. Was offered a test drive of the 2.0 diesel (Comfortline auto) but put it off vowing to return later when the 1.9Tdi (6 speed) was returned from a test. Ran out of time so didn't get back. But.....Looked over the 2.0 and it's a beautiful car....if you like that sort of thing. I've got to say I prefer my Mk1. It's a real VW, whereas in styling the Mk5 could be anything. Just not distinctively German. I reckon the Megane, Pug 307 and Cit C5 are definitely European to the eye. However....We Golf nuts know what's under the bonnet and the excellence of engineering of VW, so there's more to it than just looks. Thanks to Fiona Isaks at Jackson's VW in Lonnie. Nice lass and very open and helpful.

el_foolio
20-07-2005, 08:01 AM
mmmmmmm mk5 Golf Tdi :D

Andrew Verdouw
30-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Having owned many "real" VWs before the Golk GLD I understand the tragic move away from what makes a VW diferent. I am convinmced that you can talk to a real VW and it responds whereas the new ones are just a really nice car. Even so at the right price I would rather have a VW than a toyota, nissan etc.
I am looking for a late model Golf for "she who must be obeyed"

syncro
31-12-2005, 05:44 AM
Just not distinctively German.

No, it's Sith Efrican. :lol:

imported_brackie
31-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Having owned many "real" VWs before the Golk GLD I understand the tragic move away from what makes a VW diferent. I am convinmced that you can talk to a real VW and it responds whereas the new ones are just a really nice car. Even so at the right price I would rather have a VW than a toyota, nissan etc.
I am looking for a late model Golf for "she who must be obeyed"

You both have excellent taste and will have the best of both worlds. Air cooled Dubs are fast becoming the province of the enthusiast who loves the way things were, while the water cooled variety can take you from that esteemed place right up to the modern day. Until you've owned a Mk1 or Mk2 and loved it you will not appreciate how much personality they have. As with the majority of marques, the closer you get to the modern day the more alike they become. Blame wind tunnels, CMC, robot welding and globalisation. :wink:

Rednut
16-02-2006, 08:28 PM
hey brackie.. they even have TDI Jettas now!! hehehe

they're way too bubbly tho i reakon.. stick to the pre '98 shaped models!

imported_brackie
17-02-2006, 05:33 AM
I guess we'll get used to the shape. Things that seemed radical or ugly 10 years ago now are easier on the eye. As they age, people get uglier...As cars age they become classically beautiful!