PDA

View Full Version : Is the ODYSSEY 680 battery adequate?

binnyvo
14-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi there, I'm going to be installing an Alpine system in my polo gti ( with 2 high power amps ). My question, for those in the know is this, will the Odessey 680 be adequate enough to power the whole system?

I'm getting the Odessey 680 fitted because I'm upgrading my air intake system to a BMC CDA unit which requires the removal of the old battery to make it fit.

Thanks in advance, Binh.

Flaps
14-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Whats the damage for the BMC CDA unit?

binnyvo
14-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Whats the damage for the BMC CDA unit?

Hey Flaps, I got qouted $439 or the whole thing fitted including the battery and all modifications for about $1000.

Cheers, Binh.

Spyda
14-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Hey Flaps, I got qouted $439 or the whole thing fitted including the battery and all modifications for about $1000.

Cheers, Binh.

Your geting just a tiny bit riped off. The battery is worth about $200 and i think its a motorbike battery. I dont think it would be adequate, but your system runs off your alt when your car is on and battery is just there for back up. Its a decent battery but if you have to high power amps (how high power exactly?) and no caps you will get voltage drops.

Why not install it yourself? Last time i looked BMC CDA go for $350. $1000 for a cold air intake and a battery is way to much imho. You can relocate a yellow top to the boot :biggrin:

binnyvo
15-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Hey Spyda,

Are you sure you can get the BMC kit for $350 and if so, where? Cause the cheapest I've found was about $410. As for the battery, it was the same one that Guy had in his set up( and the cheapest price I've found for it is $290). I got qouted $1000 for the whole system fitted by Derek(European Autotech) whom everyone has spoken highly of in this forum, so I didn't think I had any concern that I was being over quoted.

Unfortunely for myself, I'm very mechanically challenge, I wish I wasn't but I am:duh::biggrin:.

As for amps- both Alpine PDX's. One is 4ch (4x100wrms), the other is a mono block (1x600wrms).

Cheers, Binh.

JustCruisn
15-07-2008, 08:29 PM
$1000 does seem a bit on the high side.
Not sure about the Polo but the Golf was fairly easy to install, mostly removal of existing air box, took about 45minutes and a few beers.

$410 is a good price for the filter - I have seen them retail for $680.

Maybe someone on the forum who lives near you might help you reduce your mechanical inabilities. It's all just nuts and bolts.

Mr İharisma
16-07-2008, 08:36 PM
If your going to look at Odyssey, I would probably look more toward the PC1200. It only a little bigger and will suit the car much better. You can work the air filter around it.

Just make sure you upgrade your earths or at least make sure your current one is clean and making a solid connectioon to the chassis.