PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 diesel prices on the increase?

jets
13-07-2008, 04:19 PM
With the fuel prices ever on the increase has anyone noticed an increased interest in the mk1 diesel golf.

A friend of mine, who lives in Loxton has been after a Mk 1 diesel for some time. He rang me to say he has found one for $3,500 dollars. I told him it was too dear & that around $2,000 was enough. I was planning on visiting him to have a look at the car but before I got there it had been sold. The new owner hadn't collected it by this time so we went to take a look for academic interest. It was fawn in colour, not my favourite, but one of the best I have seen in recent years. We did not find out what it sold for but I would think pretty close to the asking price seeing as there were 3 people interested in it.

I am a member of a couple of forums in the States. In the last year I have noticed a number of people getting old Golfs/Jettas going again after laying idle for many years. One guy found one in a field not running for 11 years.

Jarred
13-07-2008, 04:33 PM
There was one in Melbourne, that 6 mnths ago was asking about 1200 bucks, but it went off the market before Josh and I went to have a look at it.

Low and behold, the same one popped up about a week ago, and sold in less than a week (about 3-4days) for nearly 2000 bucks. (asking was 1900 from mem)

I reckon with fuel prices on the up, they're the cheapest deisels on the market, well cheaper than the mercs that are also rare to find (imo)

cetane
14-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Mmmmm. With diesel at the price it is (and increasing) the benefits of owning a GLD are decreasing, however there are still a lot of people out there that are after one. I took mine into town last week and while it was parked someone put a note under the wiper asking me if I wanted to sell it. I must admit that I'm tempted as I have too many cars and paying the regos is getting to be a bit of a burden! Still, as of next year I'll be able to put her on SI plates, which will be cheaper.

gldgti
14-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Mmmmm. With diesel at the price it is (and increasing) the benefits of owning a GLD are decreasing, however there are still a lot of people out there that are after one. I took mine into town last week and while it was parked someone put a note under the wiper asking me if I wanted to sell it. I must admit that I'm tempted as I have too many cars and paying the regos is getting to be a bit of a burden! Still, as of next year I'll be able to put her on SI plates, which will be cheaper.

happens to me all the time.... used to happen when i had the old blue car running, and now with the new black car - people at the servo see me putting diesel in it and are straight away interested.

thestu
14-07-2008, 09:29 AM
happens to me all the time.... used to happen when i had the old blue car running, and now with the new black car - people at the servo see me putting diesel in it and are straight away interested.

Yeh we used 2 have a lil diesel :) they got the best fuel economy ever! And pulled 4th up very steep hills... At 40 lol. We ended up selling roadworthy and reg for 1400 to a mate that needed a car... I want it back.

neil
14-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Go over to some of the biofuel forums and you will find people wanting them to run bio and even with a few mods will run on SVO (straight vegge oil).
Indirect injection is why they want them, old technology seems best for SVO

evorobin
14-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Go over to some of the biofuel forums and you will find people wanting them to run bio and even with a few mods will run on SVO (straight vegge oil).
Indirect injection is why they want them, old technology seems best for SVO

I remember on fifth gear when they said you had to use oil that had been cooked first although that seemingly isn't true straight out the bottle/can/drum :biggrin:

sparkie
17-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Mmm, looks like time the car in my shed (still registered, replacement engine on the floor) gets sorted out and cashed in. So does anyone reckon prices for a G3 Tdi are going up too?

evorobin
17-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Mmm, looks like time the car in my shed (still registered, replacement engine on the floor) gets sorted out and cashed in. So does anyone reckon prices for a G3 Tdi are going up too?

Must be. That has the engine stall mode when stationery before pressing the accelerator and away she goes. People are only just catching onto that idea NOW!

cetane
17-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Must be. That has the engine stall mode when stationery before pressing the accelerator and away she goes. People are only just catching onto that idea NOW!
Yeah, Robin...but it never really caught on, did it? It always worried me that wear and tear on the starter and battery would be significant. Also, diesels use bugger all fuel on tickover so what's the difference?? I reckon that if you live in the city, get caught in a traffic jam in summer at 35 degrees and the aircon cuts out 'cos you stop, you wouldn't be very impressed!

evorobin
14-08-2008, 05:06 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/VOLKSWAGEN/GOLF/details.aspx?__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32%7c 1%7c%7cpCar_ImageCount_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_LastMod ifiedDate_DateTime%7c1&__Nne=20&seot=0&distance=25&silo=1003&Cr=1&PriceMax=5000&Model=GOLF&State=All%20States&__N=4294962746%200%20442%204294962677%201216%20834 %20285%20257&__sid=11503E7AE0EE&state_id=0&Make=VOLKSWAGEN&R=6121162&trecs=7

Seems about right. Kilometres 84,771 :eek:

Oneofthegreats
14-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Rear wheel drive??

I'm buying it for sure. Ha ha.

Original reg. Very last of them out here in OZ too.

A stock mk1 diesel aren't that crash hot to drive in the power stakes & that would be worse, as it has A/C.

Still look's like a very clean though. Hope someone on here put's it in their shed.

Volvo Driver
20-08-2008, 08:03 PM
My Dad had a 81 GLD Passat, slow as anything, still miss it because of how it was so diffferent and rare.

His Mk3 TDi which replaced it gets better economy and goes a heck of a lot quicker.

The guys who run SVO usually don't do it properly either, the injector pumps will be full of gunk in months, been told horror stories about people using it at Trade School (diesel).