PDA

View Full Version : Injector Service/overhaul

smithy010
08-07-2008, 09:30 PM
OK, so i think my injectors need looking at. (1.9 indirect turbo diesel)

It's using more fuel than it should, and putting white smoke out the exhaust when under power.

I don't have an injector test bench, so i'm wondering if anyone knows of a good fuel injection place in sydney.

Anyone?

gldgti
10-07-2008, 09:58 PM
hey buddy,

theres lots of diesel injector service places around... just look in the phone book.

i dont know any "good" ones, cos i've never had to go - dad has a pop tester now, hehe!

mollins
11-07-2008, 08:01 AM
I know its a hike, and they might be expensive...

but ive only heard good things about berrima diesel.

Never been there myself, but my uncle who is into diesel 4x4s raves about them.

good luck...

mike

(ps you might aswell keep going to narrandera!)

smithy010
11-07-2008, 11:36 AM
yeah, Berrima is a bit of a hike(although not as much of a hike as Narrandera)..

If they worked weekends, i could see a nice weekend trip working out well, but i'm not so sure they'd appreciate a pug to play with on a weekend..

cetane
13-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Smithy... White smoke can be caused by incorrect injection timing (fuel doesn't get thoroughly burned).
It's possible to renew the injector nozzles yourself if you follow a few simple rules (I'll pm you in case I get flamed for suggesting it). You need a machine to set the breaking pressures but it seems Ayden has one.

smithy010
14-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks Cetane.

I'll have to make an adaptor for the injection timing hole so i can check the timing.. (i already made one for the mk1 diesel, now i've gotta make a new one)..

I think i'll get it done by a pro.. no offence, and i'd normally do it myself, but with such a precision piece of gear, i reckon it's better off being done by the pros.

Thanks for your help people. I'm glad to see people aren't snobbing me!

gldgti
14-07-2008, 10:31 PM
once you see a pop tester, you will understand - its not such a precision piece of gear, as just a piece of gear that you use to gain some precision.

the unknown is scary until you know it - really, its not difficult.

cetane is right, a few simple rules and you can set the pressures on new nozzles yourself.

besides, everyone knows that hardcore dieselers can do this stuff ;-)

smithy010
15-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Haha, thanks for the encouragement Aydan.

One issue i still have is that i don't have an adaptor for the dial gauge to check out the timing, nor do i know what one looks like (and the boys on the pug forum aren't very forthcoming with technical information)..

Hmmm, ok.. well, i'll think about it.. (If Aydan will lend me his old man's pop tester, or i hike up to hornsby one arvo and set them up.)

I'd need to get new nozzles though wouldn't i? otherwise it'd be a waste of time.. right?

cetane
16-07-2008, 07:21 AM
I'd need to get new nozzles though wouldn't i? otherwise it'd be a waste of time.. right?
No point in getting the tool kit out unless you have new nozzles! In the old days we used to lap/grind in the needles then re-shim them, but pintle-type injectors are a different story so it's best to renew the nozzle assembly.
ebay UK is a good source of Pug parts and there are usually nozzles and even good injectors going cheap (but you always take a risk buying 2nd hand injectors ;-) ). Postage from the UK is extortionate, however it still works out at a fraction of the total cost of buying here in Oz.
With regard to setting the timing, it can be done by feel and observation. Talk to Ayden as he times Mk1 diesels in this way and gets good results without a dial gauge and adapter.

smithy010
16-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Yep, i've heard about Aydan's method. I'd still like to see where it's at right now, so that i can tell if it is the cause of any sluggish cold starting, or smoking.. or at least have more of a guess.

gldgti
16-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Yep, i've heard about Aydan's method. I'd still like to see where it's at right now, so that i can tell if it is the cause of any sluggish cold starting, or smoking.. or at least have more of a guess.

sluggishly slow cold start and light coloursed smoke is a sign of retarded timing (and/or low combustion chamber temperature).

ensure your glow plugs are working nicely (resistance though them should be miniscule) first - then think about timing.

classic simptoms of retarded timing are bad cold start, light coloured smoke when cold, lack of low end torque, worse than expected fuel economy. also listen to the engine note on heavy application of throttle - if it seems to be unwilling, its likely a bit retarded.

sometime after CWYD, you should come visit me after work one arvo again and we can have a look over your car.... i have a dial guage and timing kit for VE style pumps... not sure if the Lucas pump is the same but hey ya never know.