PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Diesel Cylinder Heads

Golf Loon
30-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I was at an oldskool VW place today and he has 3 brand new Golf Diesel Cylinder Heads, for around the $600 mark. I`m no Diesel nut, so I dont know if this is good or not. Anyone interested?

brackie
30-08-2006, 08:00 PM
For a new head, this price is good. Bear in mind that for a long time the 1.5 diesel head was it's Achilles heal, but this was mostly due to two things:
1. people overheating them...usually through poor maintenance but also because here in Oz the ambient temps can be very high.
2. the silly design of the oil return at the front of the head. I don't know how many diesel Golfs I've seen with water in the oil due to failure of the head gasket in this area. Oil and water don't mix and when the oil blocks the radiator core she overheats and bang goes the head. They fixed this in the 1.6.

The bottom line is the condition of the car into which you fit the head. These days to spend $600 on a head (+ gasket, maybe rings and bearings, timing belt etc.) may be more than the rest of the car is worth.

gtimk5
30-08-2006, 08:03 PM
I have fitted a couple of new heads to deisels over the years. One head was "soft" and constantly blew gaskets. the other seemed ok. $600 is sort bof ok but I think for that price you don't get valves, Cheers :)

hiho
31-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I might be interested in a new head, it just depends on the state of my pistons and rods, and if the head comes with valves and cam as i bent/broke mine

Golf Loon
31-08-2006, 08:11 PM
That price does not include valves, but the guy also has them for not much extra.