PDA

View Full Version : For Robin, so he takes the plunge...

mrgolf
15-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Why RS are the best...
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

ausgolfer
15-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Fantastic car, looks like mine before I put the on big bumpers etc :P , is it a 16v? And where did you find those wheels, in awe. What size are they?

ausgolfer
15-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Need to get a single wiper though, as yours are going the wrong way. :lol: Did you bring it to Australia? Who did the RHD swap? Excellent car again, can't stop staring at those wheels jealously.

mrgolf
15-07-2005, 04:51 PM
This car is stock and original. All Mk2 GTI's to 86 had wipers that parked on the wrong side. Its an 8V with some mild blueprinting. OK, its not quite stock... It has a Neuspeed 268 cam and adjustable cam gear, H&R springs and Koni Yellows. All of which is reversible... Hence car is stock...

A friend in Adelaide picked the wheels up for me... :lol:

I didnt want to change mine from an early GTI to a late GTI, hence no big bumpers... Besides, euro look is back with smalls... 8)
Thanks for the compliments...

Roscoe
15-07-2005, 05:02 PM
I agree... small bumper is cool. Mine has Zender 15" Look at the link.
http://www.rossbuckinghammotorsport.co.uk/golfracingphotos_136807.html

mrgolf
15-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Single wiper? Naah. better off original... I am the third owner. Original owner shipped it out from UK.

ausgolfer
15-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Nice car Rosco, what area are you from in Melbourne? I haven't seen you around. Is yours a 16v?
I'm suffering from many cases of wheel envy :wink: .

mrgolf
15-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Hey Roscoe, you seem like you have been around... Wanna teach me to drive track in my GTI? :lol: Recommend any driving schools for track work?

I cant believe you have nearly the identical car to mine. What year?

ausgolfer
15-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Since we're posting identical cars here's an old pic of mine, shame it's not the best quality pic.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2005/07/scan0002-1.jpg

mrgolf
15-07-2005, 05:24 PM
You guys have wipers that park on the correct side, and no quarter vent windows... :D

Roscoe, yours must be the first of the 86 Mk2's. It still has the early model pinstriping along the side.

ausgolfer
15-07-2005, 05:44 PM
They had it up to 89' MrGolf. Mine was removed buy a previous owner :( .

mrgolf
15-07-2005, 06:46 PM
The pinstriping? Man, bummer. I think it sets the white Mk2's off so well... My g/fs old Jade green Mk2 Jetta had pinstripes, and it just didnt suit the car.

evorobin
15-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Why RS are the best...

I don't need any convincing matey!

For starters the RS is a balanced race wheel

Lets hope I haven't screwed the calculations :?

Golf Loon
15-07-2005, 10:05 PM
I had an early Mk2, bet you love that little wiper arc in the rain steve. The single piece windows are the bomb, I`d have some for my Mk1.

mrgolf
16-07-2005, 02:50 PM
http://ozaudi.com/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10351/Golf5.jpg
http://ozaudi.com/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10351/GtiGolf_0125.jpg

Roscoe
20-07-2005, 05:38 PM
mrgolf and ausgolfer, Mine is a 1988, 8 valve. I actually thought they all had stripes but that they were less visable on the darker colours. Any I have a complete new set to go on it when it gets painted as well as brand new bumpers and arch mouldings! The current paint looks ok but it is still original paint so a fresh paint job will give it a lift.

The front quarterlights were dropped in 1987 when the Mk2 was updated which was when the 8valve GTi went from Bosch K-jetronic fuel injection to Digifant engine management. There were other detail changes to the car (grille, trim and interior mainly). Big bumpers came along around 1990 and I think power steering was fitted as standard then too.

Yes I have been around a bit and raced a lot in Europe. I could probably teach you how to drive your GTi, not sure how to organise that though! I have run mine at Sandown and Philip Island and surprised a few people with its pace.

mrgolf
20-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Yep, 1990 is right for big bumpers... I kinda like the quarter vents. I was encouraged to get rid of them when I bought the car, but I didnt want to. Mine is still K-Jet, and the injection system is getting a bit tired. I need to overhaul it one day. I need an in tank fuel pump to get it going in the meantime...

Man, you should come and run at Wakefield Park one day. It is a great track for Mk2s. I did a mid 1:18, which is about 5 seconds quicker than people thought it would go. If you come up, I will join you for a white Mk2 frenzy....

Golfwise
21-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Roscoe
I see you have a deep history in Motorsport and a love of Mk 2 Golfs and I'd like your opinion on the two different chassis for motorsport.
I would think the mk1 would be the ideal car because of its size and low weight and have never really thought about the mk2 ,being a heavier car.
Which one would you choose.
I have both and have a partially built (caged shell) mk1 and am going to use a 1.8t motor and02a box.
Your advise would be greatly appreciated.
After all the great race cars you have driven and you have a mk2 Golf.
There must be an answer there somewhere ?

Regards

Roscoe
21-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Golfwise,
Yes the Mk2 is a great handling car and I would say better than a Mk1 in its standard form. The brakes are also much better (it has some!)with rear discs on a GTi. My other car in UK was a Porsche 965 Turbo (over 400hp) and I can honestly say that I get just as much enjoyment from my GTI and I could have bought 30 GTIs for what I sold the Porsche for! I have driven both cars very hard on the track and road and although I loved the Porsche I am not dissapointed when I drive the Golf, they really handle well and give great feedback to the driver. I just wish I had more power!

As a racer though I think the Mk1 would be just as good or possibly better. It is lighter to start with and in a race car you can overcome the original car's shortcomings so if you have already started on the Mk1 then I would continue down that track. A mk1 with a 1.8T in it would be great.

evorobin
22-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Phoned the engineers today. Wheels will be ready next week. Roscoe are you running sway bars? I have found since the eibachs went in it feels even more sure footed at the limit!

Roscoe
26-07-2005, 05:28 PM
I run standard swaybars with poly bushes. I don't think you nead to go stiffer for the road you are better off investing in a good set of shocks. If the Sway bar is too stiff on the front you are more likely to pick up the inside front wheel when cornering and then you have no traction. I have raced front drive cars with no sway bar at all! Going stiffer at the rear may help eliminate understeer but I find that my car is pretty neutral anyway. My biggest problem is that the car is pitching to much under heavy braking and locking a rear wheel. It is actually quite hard to improve the handling on a MK2 GTi, but it is easy to make a mess of it. A bit of negitive camber on the front and a lower front subframe brace are worthwhile.

evorobin
26-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Interesting stuff. In terms of handling other people have said the opposite. I find the sway bars make for a choppier ride but traction out of corners is improved. Again this in my opinion is down to running them with std suspension. I think if it was lowered the sway bars would work against the car as you said!

The only way of knowing is to do it. I can't believe the corner speeds I have now. I was keeping up with an S3 in the wet on some fast sweepers. Also the car feels tighter than it did before. You can go 25fr and 28rear if your really keen...

mrgolf
29-07-2005, 08:37 PM
I think if it was lowered the sway bars would work against the car as you said!

...and yet you are encouraging me to get a set of sways for my 35mm lower GTI.... :?

Glad we are having this converstaion, Roscoe. I feel that mine always locks the rear brakes in the same way. Do you think it is worth adjusting the rear bias a little? I also find that the car wallows a little too much and is less neutral than it has been due to a diff locker being installed. It does help a bit with less understeer when pushed hard, but when cruising it has more understeer. Do you reckon a stiffer rear sway will help this?

evorobin
29-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Yes and no steve. It may well affect traction out of corners lowered with a sway but once on the move I don't think it would. Mine is getting lowered more than 35mm so time will tell. I may well hate having a lowered car :wink:

evorobin
15-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Decent pics to come!

http://www.evoposters.net/carpics2/Australian-driving/BBS_Glenelg.sized.jpg

Golf Loon
16-09-2005, 09:06 AM
http://xs46.xs.to/pics/05375/robinsgolf.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs46&d=05375&f=robinsgolf.jpg)

Lightened it up a bit for ya robin :lol:

Golfwise
16-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Whats with the drooling over those mesh wheels :shock:
I wouldn't have them for a couple of reasons,
too hard to clean
look like they are from a mid 80's BMW and look dated
every man and his dog has them
look like they belong with a bodykit from the 80's
too many spokes,look cluttered

Dare to be different 8)

evorobin
16-09-2005, 11:07 AM
every man and his dog has them

Not in Australia they don't. I could have bought a new set of Ronal turbo's etc but I've always wanted some RS. If there were so many around I wouldn't have had to modify a set to fit. These used wheels were recently shipped from Japan btw...

Thanks Loon :lol:

gotrice
16-09-2005, 12:58 PM
I also am not much of a fan of them. They look really busy.

evorobin
16-09-2005, 04:05 PM
I also am not much of a fan of them. They look really busy.

So glad you said that. Less people with RS the better!

gotrice
16-09-2005, 05:14 PM
ALso they are waaaaaaay over valued. I have a mate who picked up 4 Simmons 3 peice rims 15x7 or 6.5 (I forget) for $275. And most people want at least $1000 for a set of 4 RS rims. I know that I would want a set of 3 peice racing wheels for almost 1 quarter of the price.

imported_brackie
16-09-2005, 05:16 PM
I reckon they look fantastic! But then, everybody's different...and so are their tastes.

evorobin
16-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Gotrice. Check out steves Simmons they are awful. However the RS that I sold him on his car at the moment ROCK 8)

Did you like the BBS RA I had for sale?

GoLfMan
16-09-2005, 05:42 PM
i reckon they look orite. 8) even better if you lowered your car 8)

alex g
16-09-2005, 07:54 PM
i do love the wheels you just need the right lips, couldnt help putting my two bobs worth in
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2005/09/1-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2005/09/6-1.jpg

evorobin
16-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Yep that is hot. I know of a place in the UK that does steel lips but alloy ones are rare as...every RS owner wants lips like Jagger :wink:

gotrice
19-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Some simmons might look dog ugli but I am only into them for the fact that they are a 3 peice racing rim that weighs next to nothing. What I mean is that from a driving angle they are far better than one peice RS rims - less unsprung weight is always a plus.

Golfwise
19-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Good to see my comments got some response.
NOW for the truth. :oops:
I was bored and there wasn't much dicussion going on so I thought I 'd stir the pot a bit.
BBS wheels are really fine by me sorry 8)

GoLfMan
19-09-2005, 10:20 AM
god your a $hit stirer sometimes Golfwise :lol:

gotrice
19-09-2005, 10:21 AM
OOOOOhhhhhhhhh so now the truth comes out!!!! :lol:
Could be worse. I dont mind BBS either, but I am cheep and dont have any money, so performance on a budget always wins with me.

Golfwise
19-09-2005, 10:25 AM
GOOD MORNING PEOPLE.IT'S A NEW DAWN

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Roscoe
19-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Glad we are having this converstaion, Roscoe. I feel that mine always locks the rear brakes in the same way. Do you think it is worth adjusting the rear bias a little? I also find that the car wallows a little too much and is less neutral than it has been due to a diff locker being installed. It does help a bit with less understeer when pushed hard, but when cruising it has more understeer. Do you reckon a stiffer rear sway will help this?[/quote]

The rear bias will only help to a point, the problem is that the wheels are loosing grip because there is no weight on them, a softer rebound setting or stiffer front springs would be the way to go. I am not sure of the effect of a rear anti roll bar on a Golf specifically but eliminating roll will help with traction by keeping the inside front wheel on the ground while cornering. Softer rebound settings can also help but it is usually a balancing act between handling and grip. A locked diff will of course mean that grip is less of a problem.

mrgolf
19-09-2005, 05:24 PM
To those people that dont like RS (Tim), you dont get it, and therefore should never own any. They are the best wheels on the planet for a Mk2, and Simmons by comparison are not that great. BBS are engineered so much nicer... End of Story. Tim, my rs are 3 piece, not 1 piece... :D

alex g
03-12-2005, 11:36 AM
the rs is in da house!!!! soon to have a bit of mick jagger disease maybe even with some gold teath
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2005/12/bbs002-1.jpg

joshyd-mk2gti
04-12-2005, 11:50 AM
ahhh so ur the person that bought those. they were the ones on ebay for ages yeh? i was contemplating buying those. they were bloody cheap thou ey. they need a bit of work, and adapters, but will still work out cheap id imagine.