PDA

View Full Version : Golf Tdi Gt Sport

Russ59
05-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Hey all,

Took both a TDi Pacific and a TDI GT Sport for a test drive yesterday (not at the same time of course) I am sold on the GT Sport, will be buying one soon I hope in a 6 speed manual with the sunroof option and white duco. Just trying to get a bit better trade in for the 2005 XR6 Falcon I currently own (fuel prices and the new Ford FG series release are not helping any when it comes to trade in prices), once I get the trade price up a bit I will get my order in. Can't wait !!!:biggrin:

Russ

Logzy
05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi Russ,
Just wondering if you also test drove the DSG model, well worth a test drive before making a final decision.

Russ59
05-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Hi Russ,
Just wondering if you also test drove the DSG model, well worth a test drive before making a final decision.
Hi,

The Gt Sport I drove had the DSG transmission, I just like manual better, always have !!! :driver:

Cheers
Russ

Mischa
05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
congrats and welcome to the clan! manual is for me too. couple of things to think about: getting extra 2 years warranty extended and getting it colour coded.

GoLfMan
05-07-2008, 11:47 AM
aweoms emate, i love the diesel sport its a brilliant car and good choice of trans aswell, im always a manual boy too

Timbo
05-07-2008, 12:58 PM
The Gt Sport I drove had the DSG transmission, I just like manual better, always have !!!
While I am exactly the same -- like manuals -- on that particular car, I think DSG is the pick. In fact, the manual is (IMHO) a tad annoying, especially in traffic, due to the narrow power band. I'd advise you test drive a manual, just to make sure. :)

Greg Roles
05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey Russ,

I totally understand your decision! I don't miss much at all about my former Ford. The build quality alone of the VW's makes the best Ford Australia have look silly. I'll not be going blue oval again.

I'd agree with the comments above about the DSG. I chose manual, and I don't regret it at all, but in heavy traffic, or when you just want to cruise, it's a bit of a pain. Still, for me, I like the idea that the tranny doesn't limit my powerup options!

I got a great trade by walking in and agreeing right up front to pay full retail on the VW ( which blew the sales staff away ) and just pushed for an inflated trade. In the end the changeover is all the same as a poor trade and a squeezed new car ( in my situation anyway ) and I ended up with a sweeter trade than I had hoped for. The sales manager even got involved and said it was rare to hear someone happy with full retail, and they certainly went out of their way for a good trade for me. Bit of psychology there, but it sure worked for me!

Good luck, and welcome to another ford refugee!

Russ59
05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
While I am exactly the same -- like manuals -- on that particular car, I think DSG is the pick. In fact, the manual is (IMHO) a tad annoying, especially in traffic, due to the narrow power band. I'd advise you test drive a manual, just to make sure. :)

Hi,

I live in country NSW and most of my driving will be Hwy anyway so the manual should be fine for me. As I said in my first post I did drive both manual and DSG transmissions and even though the manual was in the TDI Pacific I still found it to be much improved on manuals I have driven in the past, very light clutch and easy and smooth gear changes. Even the little bit of turbo lag in the Pacific didn't worry me too much and I think with the extra grunt the GT has a lot of that lag will disappear. Anyway I'm an old fart of 48 and I need to keep my arms and legs moving a bit whilst driving so I don't doze off at the wheel. :banana: :biggrin: I also see it being a lot cheaper in the long run to replace the clutch and not having a major overhaul on a complex transmission (it would have to cost big $$$$ :eek:)

Cheers
Russ

Greg Roles
05-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Mate if you're doing country miles, the one option I'd seriously consider is the better lights. The stock ones are OK, but it was the one thing I found the car to be lacking a bit, especially in the mountains at night ( for me ). Still, I was probably going quicker than the manufacturer intended...

I've recently upgraded the bulbs, and whilst better by about 20%, it hasn't stopped me wishing for the flash headlight option. Still, I just looked it up and it's a $1890 option, so just the one thing I'd say you may consider, and don't generally think about till you first drive the car out of town at night ( and the one thing I regret someone didn't make me consider! )

White's a nice colour in the GT, really sets off the black front and back sections.

Russ59
05-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Hey Greg,

I've got a nice little pair of Hella driving lights which will be going on it as well. I had them on another car a couple of years back and they are very good. Should look good as well they are very stylish.

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/668/helladlau7.jpg

Russ

mr.damage
05-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I got a great trade by walking in and agreeing right up front to pay full retail on the VW ( which blew the sales staff away ) and just pushed for an inflated trade. In the end the changeover is all the same as a poor trade and a squeezed new car ( in my situation anyway ) and I ended up with a sweeter trade than I had hoped for. The sales manager even got involved and said it was rare to hear someone happy with full retail, and they certainly went out of their way for a good trade for me. Bit of pshchology there, but it sure worked for me!

I did the same thing when i bought my polo. Had to push start my jackaroo on the day of changeover feel sorry for the dealer almost. it looked ok from the outside but had been swimming a few to many times .
I realy broke the mind of the sales man as i walked straight into the dealer at 9 am said do ya have aa polo tdi in stock he said yes i said good ill take it give me 8000 for my jackaroo and ill be back in 15 min with a bank cheque.
He was like do ya want a test drive and i said do the drive good he said yeah so i said ill take ya word for it signd the paperwork and went and got the cheque . Had driven one a few days earlyer at another dealer. :)

Logzy
06-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Mate if you're doing country miles, the one option I'd seriously consider is the better lights. The stock ones are OK, but it was the one thing I found the car to be lacking a bit, especially in the mountains at night ( for me ). Still, I was probably going quicker than the manufacturer intended...

I've recently upgraded the bulbs, and whilst better by about 20%, it hasn't stopped me wishing for the flash headlight option. Still, I just looked it up and it's a $1890 option, so just the one thing I'd say you may consider, and don't generally think about till you first drive the car out of town at night ( and the one thing I regret someone didn't make me consider! )

White's a nice colour in the GT, really sets off the black front and back sections.

+1
Tick the Bi-Xenons option box and forget about the $$$'s.
You wont regret it if you do but you will if you dont

smithy010
07-07-2008, 07:59 AM
HID headlights **** me to tears! I really dislike the colour of the light, and i hate it when you think vehicles are flashing you, but instead it's just their Xenons doing stupid things.

Go the driving lights all the way Russ! Save yourself some dosh.

gregozedobe
07-07-2008, 10:08 AM
You can't compare factory HIDs with dodgy aftermarket conversions.

I suspect that nearly all the ones that are dazzling you are aftermarket installations, and they are dazzling you because of one or more of the following:

1 They have been aimed too high,

2 The optics are wrong for the new HID globes,

3 They don't have the factory self levelling setup.

If they are a strong blue colour are almost certainly aftermarket, as most manufacturers HIDs are a stark white, not blue (or violet).

Logzy
07-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I have not been flashed once in 3 months with factory Bi-Xenons.
I suspect it is the dodgy aftermarket installations that cause the problems

VW Convert
07-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Not much about my Jetta I don't like but I do regret not having ticked the Bi Xenon headlight box. Think the standard headlights are not as good as they could be..........spend the extra money, it is well worth it!

Cheers

George

benough
07-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi,

I still found it to be much improved on manuals I have driven in the past, very light clutch and easy and smooth gear changes. Even the little bit of turbo lag in the Pacific didn't worry me too much and I think with the extra grunt the GT has a lot of that lag will disappear.

Russ

Hey Russ. Excellent choice.

I have owned both a Comfortline TDI and the GT Sport TDI. The main difference I found between both transmissions is that the clutch in the GT Sport is a lot more robust and the friction point is not as forgiving.

That said it is just something you get used to and a bonus because you have a strong clutch

Also +2 on OEM Xenons. I regret it totally, esp if I was in the country.

Greg Roles
07-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Having just upgraded my 4 main lamps to Osram Nightbreakers, I'd have to say the difference has both been startling, and enough to keep me happy without the Xennon option. The difference is most noticable on low beam, the sheer difference in the light they put out has made me aim them at a few walls to make sure I'm not blinding people on just low beam! Main beam isn't as big a difference to me, but that's probably because I've been in suburbia all week without much high beam work to compare the difference. Undoutably it's improved as well. These H7's cost me 22 pounds a pair plus about the same in postage from leading lamps on e-bay UK. They are all the same 55watt rating as stock, in 6000 K ( kelvin, the "colour" ). I bought these after a lot of reading on the MKV forums.

The foglights are HB4, and as I couldn't get them in the Nightbreakers have a pair of actual yellow Nokya bulbs coming from the USA from tda_motorsport at a cost of $25us with $18us postage. These are 70 watt over the stock 55watt foggies, but all the US guys on the MKV forum say this level is OK, but not the next "level" stage 2 ones at the higher wattage again. Too much heat / factory wiring not up to the task. They come in various Kelvin ( colour ).

Overall, I'm sure the Xennon's are the berries, but for less than $200 total, I'm very, very happy with the difference upgrade. I'll let you know how the 2500k yellow ones work out. Shyte, imagine actually having fog lights that actually suit fog!

I'd actually be interested in putting these alongside the Xennon's to see just how far short I end up....I know it's now a lot less than stock!

Russ59
14-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Thunderbirds are go !!!!!!! In around 8 weeks (and counting) I will be picking up my new 08 TDI GT SPORT, 6 speed manual, white in colour and with sunroof. Managed to get a pretty good deal on my BA Falcon XR6 and got them to throw in a few extras like weathershields, mudflaps and a nice set of golf carpet mats. This will be my very first brand new car and I can hardly wait :biggrin: The next 8 weeks will be torture :bangheadwall: I will be sure and post some pics up as soon as I get the chance. Thanks to everyone for their feedback as well.

Cheers
Russ