PDA

View Full Version : Distance to Empty - a new game

gregozedobe
03-07-2008, 12:49 AM
I was bored driving along the hume on the weekend, so I thought I'd invent a new game to while away the hours, and now we'll see if any other nerds are interested in competing.

The objective is the get the greatest possible total distance to empty figure (ie add the distance you have driven since you last filled plus the current "distance to empty" displayed on the MFD).

Hint, this is based on your recent fuel consumption (something like the last 2 or 3 minutes as best as I can tell). So filling your tank at the top of a hill and then coasting downhill for the next 5 minutes with a warm motor will probably give you your highest possible figure.

It also seems to vary as you use up fuel in the tank (in the case of my van it seems to increase until I have travelled about 250 kms, then reduces more and more as you travel further).

As a side benefit, playing this game will almost certainly improve your fuel consumption (unless you are a contrarian and decide to go for the shortest possible distance to empty - ie worst possible fuel consumption). I could probably put up a truly scary figure from all the full throttle work I am currently doing while running in my new Octy petrol - I have seen 62 litres/100km uphill in 3rd gear. :eek:

I am not offering any real prizes (for longest or shortest distance), but if anyone else feels so inclined please feel free to do so.

All entries should be in the following format:

2006 VW Transporter van 2.5 TDI manual (vehicle details)
28 June 2008; distance travelled: 231 Km; DTE: 1,320; total = 1,550 Km

Let the competition begin :biggrin:

FJ Steve
03-07-2008, 07:19 AM
distance travelled: 231 Km; DTE: 1,320; total = 1,550 Km

Well,

that's gonna discard all the R32's :duh:

Greg Roles
03-07-2008, 08:01 AM
the next step is a moped guys.....:duh:

gregozedobe
03-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Hey, I don't even pretend that I can actually drive that far on a tankfull ! (unless I can magically find somewhere a road that goes downhill for 1,500 km).

Also my fuel tank is supposed to hold 80 litres. If I was prepared to run it dry (I'm not), I estimate I could actually get around 1,100Km of highway driving. I'm sure the 1.9 and 2.0 TDIs in Polos and Golfs could get considerably further than I can in my large and heavy van :)

docjames
03-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Got the 2.0 FSI auto to Travelled about 90km, DTE 850km a few months ago.

BeigeJet
03-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I was bored driving along the hume on the weekend, so I thought I'd invent a new game to while away the hours, and now we'll see if any other nerds are interested in competing.

The objective is the get the greatest possible total distance to empty figure (ie add the distance you have driven since you last filled plus the current "distance to empty" displayed on the MFD).

Hint, this is based on your recent fuel consumption (something like the last 2 or 3 minutes as best as I can tell). So filling your tank at the top of a hill and then coasting downhill for the next 5 minutes with a warm motor will probably give you your highest possible figure.

It also seems to vary as you use up fuel in the tank (in the case of my van it seems to increase until I have travelled about 250 kms, then reduces more and more as you travel further).

As a side benefit, playing this game will almost certainly improve your fuel consumption (unless you are a contrarian and decide to go for the shortest possible distance to empty - ie worst possible fuel consumption). I could probably put up a truly scary figure from all the full throttle work I am currently doing while running in my new Octy petrol - I have seen 62 litres/100km uphill in 3rd gear. :eek:

I am not offering any real prizes (for longest or shortest distance), but if anyone else feels so inclined please feel free to do so.

All entries should be in the following format:

2006 VW Transporter van 2.5 TDI manual (vehicle details)
28 June 2008; distance travelled: 231 Km; DTE: 1,320; total = 1,550 Km

Let the competition begin :biggrin:

Great competition,

Here's my best so far

2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI manual
23 December 2007; distance travelled 45 km; DTE 1,650; total = 1,695 km.

This was achieved after filling up at Hazelbrook in the Blue Mtns travelling down to Sydney to eventually end my journey at the in laws in Maclean on the Northern Rivers of NSW. The 45 km mark was at the 1st turnoff to Penrith as you start on the M4. The tank fill ende up being 49 lt after 1,105 km.

Can anyone top this please?. I love hear about TDI economy! :biggrin:

Cheers,

mr.damage
03-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Also my fuel tank is supposed to hold 80 litres. If I was prepared to run it dry (I'm not), I estimate I could actually get around 1,100Km of highway driving. I'm sure the 1.9 and 2.0 TDIs in Polos and Golfs could get considerably further than I can in my large and heavy van :)
I dont have a MFD so I cant play this game but in the real world the
best I ever got out of my polo was 960km out of 42lt on a trip to the act
just to saave ya getting te caculator out that is 4.375/100 and that included about 400 k of aircon on .

ps that was also on bio 100
:)

BeigeJet
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey Mr Damage,

A bit off thread but how has the polo been on Bio 100? Any concerns or tricks needed?

Where and how much $ is the Bio 100. Thinking about Bio myself but limited by leasing company fuel card.

Cheers,

Neil.

GoLfMan
03-07-2008, 09:54 PM
i too am interested Mr. Damage about your bio 100 in the Polo TDi :) please devulge!

GoLfMan
03-07-2008, 09:55 PM
to eventually end my journey at the in laws

ohh i see why your economy was soo good now j:

mr.damage
03-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Hey Mr Damage,
A bit off thread but how has the polo been on Bio 100? Any concerns or tricks needed?
Where and how much $ is the Bio 100. Thinking about Bio myself but limited by leasing company fuel card.
Cheers,
Neil.
The polo runs like a dream on bio 100 no tricks needed except dont tell VW you are using it and if you take it to them for service fill her op with dino juice first.
I get my bio from fina fuel's in thomastown payed $1.450 for it today. doubt hey takes fuel cards but he takes eft and credit cards.